584,866 active members*
5,256 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Can I use these brushless motors?

Hi guys, great forum btw.

I have several brushless dc motors and motor controls from a small industrial electric vehicle. They, motors and controlers can run on 24-36-48 volts dc and are about 750 watts. 5/8 d.shaft with real good bearings. Sealed, not vented, about 5.5" in diameter and about 3.5" deep. I have been using these motors and controlers in the vehicles for about 2 years now and they are very solid.

question #2 would be how to use an encoder. The shaft is about 2" long and only comes out one side of the motor. If I have said something stupid, let me know I am a rooky to the sport of cnc.

Can this be done? If so I would save some money on the build.

Thanking you in advance, and did I mention great forum?
    JK

Are you sure they are brushless?, It is always a problem when you have a motor that has a sealed rear endbell, if you take one apart, you may be able to open the rear end and attach an extension shaft, but if they are brushless, make sure you do not harm the commutation electronics.
    The other way is if you tightly couple the outgoing motor shaft to a ball screw etc, you can place the encoder on the remote end of the driven shaft.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.