584,833 active members*
5,596 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mori SL25 ques.

We have several sl25's with live both horiz. and vertical. live tool heads. My question is can I tap 5/8-11 in soft steel? The machine has the option. What I want to know is does it have enough torque for this? The operators say no, but they say no to anything that is'nt turning, threading, grooving etc.

You should have bought a machine with some power, mabe it will make the thread, but I doubt it..(But on X/C plane you can always threadmill)..

I can't thrd mill it on the X-C plane. It's a cross hole in a piece of 3" hex stock, I guess it would be the Z-C plane???:violin:

Try the tap, worst thing that will happen is a broken tap and a part to scrap..

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by ajl6549 View Post
    We have several sl25's with live both horiz. and vertical. live tool heads. My question is can I tap 5/8-11 in soft steel? The machine has the option. What I want to know is does it have enough torque for this? The operators say no, but they say no to anything that is'nt turning, threading, grooving etc.

Yes it will but do not baby it, Run it thru just like you would if you were taping it on a virtical. I have run the 25mc's and the 15mc's and they have a lot more torque than you would think. I have tapped a 1/2' ball grove cross way thru a nut on our 25mcs before and that takes a bunch more torque than a standard thread, Like the man before me said the worst that can happen is it wont work. But you always have to try. Thinking outside the box is what has lead this industries to some of the wicked technoligy we have today. So "Make it so #1"

Bluesman