586,011 active members*
4,658 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 6 of 8 45678

Re: Smithy AutoMate

Sin-arms - yes I recall you having less than prompt service. Hopefully your model is different than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by sin_arms View Post
    I had to wait almost 2 months to get my turret replaced and I'm going on a month now with spindle drive problems.
    Wow. I don't guess I read that post or knew of your problem. That STINKS!!! :bat:

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    Dan - that is good news, mostly about the service. Others have reported less than stellar support. So hopefully your experience is more typical!

I heard from Sean too, who said he is up and running and is happy with the lathe now.

Mine is on a slow boat from china - eta is Dec 31!!!!

Cant wait for pics/videos from you!
    WOW...AGAIN!!! You are one patient guy. I can't figure why it is taking that long. One would think that if they promised a date they would be somewhat sure it was accurate.

I am more than pleased with the service I received...I HOPE it wasn't a one off deal! I didn't drop those $$ to have a worthless piece of junk sitting in my shop. If it is down and you can't get parts / service, then that is all it is... JUNK! During installation, I found some odd and a couple of shocking things with the machine and I am far from impressed with the way they shipped the unit. I'll post on that later.

What I can say is if you are buying one of these, you cannot ask enough pre-purchase questions. Sit down with a pencil and paper....look at your needs...look DEEP into the machine specs & capabilities...and make sure you are looking at those things on YOUR EXACT MACHINE!!!! It is simply a must that they get a grip on the specs and capabilities. In my opinion, they need to quit changing things on these units every 5 minutes. Get a good, solid machine, sell them for a year and during that year decide what next years new features and changes will be. Then repeat that for as long as they are in business. I have found some things on mine that may / may not reach in my pocket. We will see. I'll update this as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Ican View Post
    One would think that if they promised a date they would be somewhat sure it was accurate.
    Even Grizzly, the largest distributor of woodworking and metalworking machinery in the country, isn't renowned for fast service if it isn't in stock when you order it. It is a long supply chain, and the other end is building machines in batches instead of an assembly line cranking out a constant number of machines every day.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Even Grizzly, the largest distributor of woodworking and metalworking machinery in the country, isn't renowned for fast service if it isn't in stock when you order it. It is a long supply chain, and the other end is building machines in batches instead of an assembly line cranking out a constant number of machines every day.
    I understand that but if you tell a customer 30 days, it shouldn't turn into 60. That's simply torture!!

I have that same G0709 that you do. That has been a good machine. I have cut a lot of threads with that lathe.

EDIT..... After mentioning this subject to the lady of the house, I just had to come back and edit this. I was gently reminded that a few years back, I was promised a Haas mill in 3 weeks..... 16 weeks later.... I got it. (nuts)

Sin_Arms.... Some body? Anybody? ..... have you found a place to simply purchase the internal tool holders for our turrets?? I really don't care to mess with making them. Mine are all large bore and I need some smaller bore holders.

Any Help appreciated. THANKS!! Dan.

Dan, I'm pretty sure they are the same from Tormach. I'd order from there.

Dan, I'm pretty sure they are the same from Tormach. I'd order from there.
    Many Thanks!!! I hadn't thought of that. I'll bet you are right. I appreciate the help. Dan.

Dan - let us know if those work out - would love to still support tormach if smithy doesn't carry them

Dan - let us know if those work out - would love to still support tormach if smithy doesn't carry them
    The Tormach are too small for my turret.
    Attachment 340264 Mine are 1.250 diameter with a 1.625 flange. Tormachs are all 3/4" diameter as far as I could tell. I tried to call but there was no answer. I did find some that will work at MSC but for what they are, they seem a little high. They start on page 1263 if I recall of their big book as they call it and there are some ahead of and behind that page. I guess I'll just make the things. I hope this can help someone else. Dan.

Thanks Dan! I'm sure they would be a relatively std size. I think your turret on the sl6 is much larger than sin_arms' on the 1417

Thanks Dan! I'm sure they would be a relatively std size. I think your turret on the sl6 is much larger than sin_arms' on the 1417
    MSC had a large selection to choose from. I noticed some additional holders / bushings that made me think about new things to do as well. There is quite a lot available.... and we do own machines that make parts! :banana:

Not sure if anyone has seen this but its a pretty nice testimonial:

Dan - how's your lathe running?

https://youtu.be/9CSVykCijqg?list=PL...9VXKGojXEPtFmV

[QUOTE=brianbonedoc;1970378]Not sure if anyone has seen this but its a pretty nice testimonial:

Dan - how's your lathe running?

Edit... Removed the video.

We are up and running. So far the rascal is as smooth as can be. I spent 3 hours going around it with hex wrenches...there wasn't a tight bolt on it anywhere and even a couple missing. One bad screw in one of the inside turret tool mounts... just little junk that eats up time. :devious: We have had a few surprises but nothing insurmountable by any means. For me, it is easy to get irritated at the little things when I just keep bumping into them but over all it is good.

Any more news about yours??? I am super anxious for you to join all this fun!!! :wee: Dan

Nice video and nice story- Take some advice and stay in your garage- at least until we see if Trump can cut through all the massive regulations and red tape that strangle small businesses when they hire their first employee.

Quote Originally Posted by GITERDUN View Post
    Nice video and nice story- Take some advice and stay in your garage- at least until we see if Trump can cut through all the massive regulations and red tape that strangle small businesses when they hire their first employee.
    Let me clarify... that video I quoted is not me. Sorry if I gave that impression. Dan.

Thanks for the tips Dan - if/when I get mine I will check every screw. No update here last I spoke with them Kade was in China and Kerry said the boat isn't due to port until 12/31.

Thanks for the tips Dan - if/when I get mine I will check every screw. No update here last I spoke with them Kade was in China and Kerry said the boat isn't due to port until 12/31.
    Oh that just hurts!!! Well, you will enjoy it when it gets here. If I can help once it arrives just let me know. This has been a learning process weaving our way through the little nagging things. Hang in there... I'll call the boat and tell them to throw a little more coal on the fire!!! Dan.

Haha thanks Dan! Glad to hear the machine runs smoooooooth!

If you get a chance try to post a quick video for the rest of us jonesing for their equipment!

I had a new VFD show up today for mine, hopefully that fix the spindle problems.

I had a new VFD show up today for mine, hopefully that fix the spindle problems.
    I have my fingers crossed for you sin. I hope you can get the thing purring. Are you running your 808-D in pure ISO ??

Good luck with the new part.... keep us informed. Dan.

Page 6 of 8 45678