585,749 active members*
3,875 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > How to access the Geneva drive?

How to access the Geneva drive?

The Geneva wheel has a jerking motion which seems like the drive might have a loose grub screw. How do you gain access to the Geneva drive to tighten things up? It's above the wheel but located in the back of the umbrella where you can't access it.

Re: How to access the Geneva drive?

It wasn't as hard as I thought. Pull the top covers and there are four bolts holding a plate that the motor is attached to. Turns out the drive was solidly attached to the motor shaft. The Geneva wheel still has a jerky movement in CW direction. Sensor maybe?

I have seen the roller bearings dry out or rust up on the umbrella shaft and cause that. Try using an oil can to drop way oil into the roller bearings and on the shaft. If it improves then that mostly likely is your problem area to fix. If not, look elsewhere. We replaced all the electrical connectors on ours once to solve a 'sensor waiting' problem and a index until it timed out problem...FADAL wire connectors are notorious for that.

Thanks scadvice. I'll pull the cover and take a look.

Still trying to figure this out. The motion is jerky from about tool 20 to about tool 3 and then smooths out for the rest of the tools. The Geneva drive looks to be over-rotating by a quarter turn or so when the motion is jerky and more or less only rotates 360 degrees during the smooth sections.

We tried applying some thick grease to the geneva dwell cups. This has made the problem go away at least for now.

Also check to ensure that the two bolts holding the tray plate to the main arm are secure. On the 4020 here, the spindle would fault out above the tool holder during a tool change. Turned out the two large bolts were backed out allowing the tray to tilt, causing the sensor to trip.

Thanks Jon. I'll look at that.