584,865 active members*
5,061 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Protected Move Help

Hello Fellas,

I have a Haas TM2P and WIPS that I frequently use to measure parts after facing off a carrier (second op) while the machine is running unattended. Basically Op1 in G54 vise, Op2 in G55 Vise faces carrier then measures exact locations, etc.

Several times I have tried to start using protected moves in case of a Decimal error or forgetting to change the part thickness when copying CAM file to new part and every time I try I seem to get different error messages.

Most recently I WAS getting 1091 B INPUT MISSING when in the macro to start probing after the protected move when using my normal p9823.... that I have always used without issues when NOT using protected moves.

Next I tried using the P9811 single axis as described in the manual and now it moves, then probes, THEN errors. I'm lost. Please help.

Code:
    %
    O0001 (TEST PROBE PROTECTED MOVE) 
    M6 T20
    G0 G59 
    G43 H20 Z5.                      (RAPID TO SAFE HEIGHT)
    G65 P9832                        (TURNS PROBE ON) 
    G65 P9810 Z.4 F250.         (PROTECTED MOVE TO Z0.4)
    G65 P9821 A9. Z0. S59.     (ERROR 503 ILLEGAL MACRO VARIABLE REFERENCE AT POINT IN PICTURE)
    G65 P9833                         (TURN PROBE OFF IF IT EVER GETS TO THIS LINE)
    M30
    %
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141220_135235.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	261456

Re: Protected Move Help

Quote Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post
    Hello Fellas,

I have a Haas TM2P and WIPS that I frequently use to measure parts after facing off a carrier (second op) while the machine is running unattended. Basically Op1 in G54 vise, Op2 in G55 Vise faces carrier then measures exact locations, etc.

Several times I have tried to start using protected moves in case of a Decimal error or forgetting to change the part thickness when copying CAM file to new part and every time I try I seem to get different error messages.

Most recently I WAS getting 1091 B INPUT MISSING when in the macro to start probing after the protected move when using my normal p9823.... that I have always used without issues when NOT using protected moves.

Next I tried using the P9811 single axis as described in the manual and now it moves, then probes, THEN errors. I'm lost. Please help.

Code:
    %
    O0001 (TEST PROBE PROTECTED MOVE) 
    M6 T20
    G0 G59 
    G43 H20 Z5.                      (RAPID TO SAFE HEIGHT)
    G65 P9832                        (TURNS PROBE ON) 
    G65 P9810 Z.4 F250.         (PROTECTED MOVE TO Z0.4)
    G65 P9821 A9. Z0. S59.     (ERROR 503 ILLEGAL MACRO VARIABLE REFERENCE AT POINT IN PICTURE)
    G65 P9833                         (TURN PROBE OFF IF IT EVER GETS TO THIS LINE)
    M30
    %
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141220_135235.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	261456

I have barely used the P9821 routine, but it looks like your work offset call out in the G65 P9821 line is wrong. S1 through S6 represents G54 through G59, so try changing your G59 in the line to S6 and see what it does.

If that doesn't give any results, I would try and reload the Renishaw programs; perhaps one or more got corrupted somehow.

Good luck!

9821 requires a D input (nominal distance to surface from start point).

Looking at your code, the first thing that pops into my head is wondering if you're mixing up the o9023 "Easyset" call with the o9821 angled surface measurement. If running the Easyset call (G65 P9023) an input of A9.0 represents a downward Z surface measurement, while when running a call to angled surface measurement (G65 P9821) A denotes the angle and D is the nominal hypotenuse distance toward the surface being measured.

Did I understand correctly that you're measuring a faced surface, like a height of a feature or something? I'd be interested to see the errors you get with the o9811 "single surface" cycle, since that's probably the more official way to do this, but you might have to do some additional maths after the cycle runs, using the measurement outputs found in #185-#199.

The biggest hurtle people seem to have with measuring cycles like this is that the o9023 Easyset runs pseudo-incrementally using the coordinates you give it, whereas calling the direct probe cycles require absolute positioning. It determines the reference used in the macro outputs, since some of them are measured from the probe's "start" point. That's the thing about the Easyset routine, it takes your probe's current coordinates and sets "default" target coordinates based on what you're trying to do (X positive, Y positive, etc).

Ding Ding Ding! Thank you Ydna ! Thank you haastec and Matt also. Your observation explained why my attempts today were moving at 9* angle X+Y+... Eventually I figured that out, moved to X- of the vise, touched using A0. But still got different errors. Obviously I'm mixing the examples with my known programs (easy set as you said).

I ran out of play time and had to get back to breaking tools... Er making parts.

I'll try AGAIN after the holiday and follow up for reference

Brian
    WOT Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Ydna View Post
    Looking at your code, the first thing that pops into my head is wondering if you're mixing up the o9023 "Easyset" call with the o9821 angled surface measurement. If running the Easyset call (G65 P9023) an input of A9.0 represents a downward Z surface measurement, while when running a call to angled surface measurement (G65 P9821) A denotes the angle and D is the nominal hypotenuse distance toward the surface being measured.

Did I understand correctly that you're measuring a faced surface, like a height of a feature or something? I'd be interested to see the errors you get with the o9811 "single surface" cycle, since that's probably the more official way to do this, but you might have to do some additional maths after the cycle runs, using the measurement outputs found in #185-#199.

The biggest hurtle people seem to have with measuring cycles like this is that the o9023 Easyset runs pseudo-incrementally using the coordinates you give it, whereas calling the direct probe cycles require absolute positioning. It determines the reference used in the macro outputs, since some of them are measured from the probe's "start" point. That's the thing about the Easyset routine, it takes your probe's current coordinates and sets "default" target coordinates based on what you're trying to do (X positive, Y positive, etc).
    Nice catch! :cheers: