584,830 active members*
5,831 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > SuperPID + Bosch 16171 Fixed-Speed (25k) Router vs Bosch 1617EVS Variable-Speed

SuperPID + Bosch 16171 Fixed-Speed (25k) Router vs Bosch 1617EVS Variable-Speed

Hi Guys and Gals! This is my first real post since joining cnczone more than a year ago (other than my introductory post in the Welcome thread).

I am currently putting together plans to build a CNC Router using a SuperPID and a Bosch 1617 Router. I've found tons of threads and posts from people using the Bosch 1617EVS Variable-Speed router with the SuperPID by bypassing the soft-start and speed control (or removing it completely). This looks totally do-able and I'm not afraid of modifying a brand-new router for this purpose. However, I have found a slightly cheaper (by about $25) Single-Speed (25k RPM) version of this router on amazon. I have not, however, been able to locate anyone on this forum who currently use the single-speed router.

Here are the Bosch Router Motors (no base) for reference:

I have searched extensively and found the following threads, however, I do not necessarily wish to revive 1-2+ year-old threads.

The following reference the 1617EVS:

These threads reference the Single-speed bosch but only have a few replies and haven't been updated in over 2 years:

And these two are general SuperPID threads that also have discussions on modification of variable-speed routers.

The other difference between these two routers is the power. The variable-speed router has 2.25 Hp, whereas the single-speed router only has 2.0 Hp. I plan on cutting mostly various hard and soft woods as well as various plastics (acrylic, delrin/UHMW/HDPE). I would like to be able to cut aluminum plate as well, but if/when cutting aluminum, I could live with slower feeds. Due to the various materials, I definitely variable speed control.

So my question is, is it worth losing 1/4 Hp in exchange for a less expensive router with presumably the same construction (bearings, collet, etc.) and probably easier wiring (no modification to bypass the speed control) to the SuperPID? I would love to hear from anyone who currently uses the SuperPID along with this single-speed bosch router.

Re: SuperPID + Bosch 16171 Fixed-Speed (25k) Router vs Bosch 1617EVS Variable-Speed

So my question is, is it worth losing 1/4 Hp in exchange for a less expensive router with presumably the same construction (bearings, collet, etc.) and probably easier wiring (no modification to bypass the speed control) to the SuperPID?
    You won't really lose 1/4HP. In reality, there's probably no noticeable difference, unless you run it right to the point of stalling it.
    When using the Super-PID, it only provides enough power to maintain the requested rpm. So most of the time, it'll be running at much less than 2HP.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: SuperPID + Bosch 16171 Fixed-Speed (25k) Router vs Bosch 1617EVS Variable-Speed

The SuperPID tech support page states the SuperPID can handle up to 15 Amps at 120VAC (2.5 Hp) so I would assume if I was machining with a large stepover/DOC in a dense material it could output the full power all the way through the RPM range? I guess this would be the only time I could use the extra 1/4Hp, but considering this is going on a 2' x 2' benchtop machine using NEMA23 motors and because I won't typically be machining anything too heavy, this probably isn't a consideration.

So my only concerns are cost and ease of installation. Cheaper is better, and as best as I can tell, the only modification needed for a fixed-speed router is to paint the shaft for the RPM sensor. Does that sound about right?

I am in the same boat, purchased the 1617 single speed router (got it for $99 through Amazon) and Super PID controller, and am not 100% clear on the installation, although it seems to be straight forward. I have seen, what I believe to be the installation on the fixed speed router, and it is like you mentioned, white out the end of the shaft and mount the sensor through the back cover. The picture I have seen used a swagelock fitting to hold the sensor wire and I have asked him for more clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by trmpyro View Post
    I am in the same boat, purchased the 1617 single speed router (got it for $99 through Amazon) and Super PID controller, and am not 100% clear on the installation, although it seems to be straight forward. I have seen, what I believe to be the installation on the fixed speed router, and it is like you mentioned, white out the end of the shaft and mount the sensor through the back cover. The picture I have seen used a swagelock fitting to hold the sensor wire and I have asked him for more clarification.
    trmpyro, please post the picture you are referring to and any details related to installing the speed sensor on this router. I am very curious. A swagelok fitting or some through-bulkhead fitting sounds like a great idea for securing the wire through the router housing. I've even thought of buying a replacement housing to use for mounting the sensor instead of cutting into the stock housing. These covers are only about $5 on ereplacementparts. Please update with any progress on your own SuperPID installation.

Thanks,
    Matthew

Here is what I plan to do, based on the information I received from a member on the Platform CNC Group. The attached pictures show what the router internals look like. I purchased the swagelok fitting, actually a Parker brand, 1/4" tube x 1/8"npt male. I am going to drill and tap the bearing sleeve to install the fitting into, off center by about 1/4". The cable from the Super PID will be held in place by this. This looked like a good method based on the pictures I have seen from the other forum. The end of the router shaft will get painted per the installation instructions. I will post pictures when I have it complete.

Quote Originally Posted by trmpyro View Post
    Here is what I plan to do, based on the information I received from a member on the Platform CNC Group. The attached pictures show what the router internals look like. I purchased the swagelok fitting, actually a Parker brand, 1/4" tube x 1/8"npt male. I am going to drill and tap the bearing sleeve to install the fitting into, off center by about 1/4". The cable from the Super PID will be held in place by this. This looked like a good method based on the pictures I have seen from the other forum. The end of the router shaft will get painted per the installation instructions. I will post pictures when I have it complete.
    Thanks for the info. Looks like a great plan, please do post photos when you finish.

It looks like the bearing sleeve is item number 32 on the parts diagram (Bosch 16171 Parts List and Diagram - (0601617139) : eReplacementParts.com. How thick is the bushing face? Looks like they go for $3.25 on ereplacementparts. I have a little anxiety about drilling into the stock parts, I would probably purchase a new cover and bearing sleeve to modify and keep the stock pieces whole.