584,817 active members*
4,754 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laptop just for CAM/ Stepper driver

I currently using an Intel based I7 win 7 64 bit desktop I built for a cad/ design pc, I'm using FlashCuts 501 signal generator via usb. I've been getting a lot of "can't connect to signal generator" errors while running g code so I was thinking about using an old Dell laptop just to run the g code, It's a core 2 duo 8 gig ram 120 ssd and I could install a fresh copy of xp or 7. And I could just network the files over to it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Re: Laptop just for CAM/ Stepper driver

Just make sure you've killed all the power-management stuff that wants to stop your machine from working just when you need it to. Set everything to "never" shut off. And zotz Windows Automatic Update - that can be a killer. Basically, you want to strip it of anything that's going to take focus away from running your machine.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I was thinking just the OS & CAM software, no internet, updates or anti virus. And set to always on with no screen saver.

Any thoughts on what version of XP? I have XP & XP with service pack 3.

My idea it that this should not be happening ! You can do some troubleshooting yourself by installing Flashcut on any other windows XP, 7 or 8 PC, copying your setup file (xxx.stp) to the new pc and see if the same troubles exist. There is nothing invasive about Flashcut, does not need anything "tuned" specifically for a different PC, and its easy to uninstall.

If your troubles no longer exist, then it is something funky with that initial computer. Flashcut versions 2, 3, 4 will for sure run on windows XP or Windows 7 (I assume you do not have version 5) without the problems you are having.

If communication problems exist, I'd call them for some quick guidance. I'm sure that they will immediately be able to tell you what to check regards USB communication problems. Heck, its their mainstay and it works excellent.

All the problems you are having though DO give you an excuse to get another laptop though..... You can run XP or Windows 7... I've never seen it matter.
    Chris L

Try running it in 32 bit.