585,729 active members*
4,942 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > I was recently interviewed by SOLIDWORKS

I was recently interviewed by SOLIDWORKS

I was recently interviewed by Micheal Fearon of SOLIDWORKS, for their blog. They were specifically interested in how I use SOLIDWORKS as an artist/engineer.

If you would like to be more creative, or just enjoy the creative side of design, then you might find the article interesting.

Engineering is Art: Q&A with Artist and Engineer Shane McKenna

Thanks

Delivering more creativity to your engineering... delivering more engineering to your creations.
    Shane McKenna

Re: I was recently interviewed by SOLIDWORKS

It is amazing how one thing can lead to another. I made a connection from this article, and was then interviewed for a book that is being written about learning. More specifically, how figuring out new things trains the brain differently than accessing information. That is a subject I have voiced opinions about for many years. The best engineers, technicians and designers I have ever worked with, have had some kind of non-traditional background/education, that included being put in the position of noodling things out, without any information.

Applying this to SOLIDWORKS, as a function of product design, I am frequently faced with creating a shape, or feature that requires making multiple attempts. There are usually multiple ways to get to the same shape, but often they are more or less efficient/buggy. You may be able to access a video, or find someone who has figured out a working method, but a lot of times, you just have to buckle down and figure it out. The advantage goes to those who's brains have been shaped by lots of cross disciplinary exercises in critical thinking.