585,930 active members*
3,165 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Air Consumption on older Haas?
Page 4 of 5 2345

Re: Air Consumption on older Haas?

Awesome glad to hear it worked out. I have the post from the previous owner. Hoping it works without to much trouble :/

He had 20 years to get it working, I would hope he could figure it out!

They were making aerospace parts before the sale but I stopped assuming anything anymore haha.

Yeah thus far in my (short) career I have already learned that Aerospace is a pretty broad category haha.

Tried the old turn if off turn it back on-or rather unplug and replug-method and now the feed hold works just fine.

Do early 90s machines even have the handle jog override? I tried to use that to override the feed down to 0 but when I press either jog override buttons they don't even beep. My control panel is blue and white which I know came on the later 90s machines, I think mine was supposed to be the "classic" black and white one so the original might have been replaced with a new one that has buttons for features my machine does not have, it also has the auger fwd/rev and coolant up/dwn buttons which I have seen no mention of in the manual.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1423715192134.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	268542

Here's a picture of the controller keypad.

Attachment 268544

Here's unedited one, not sure why it's sideways as I didn't take it sideways..

Ya no auger buttom. Appears It has coolant buttom but not up or down. As for the feed rate over ride no knob, just button + -.

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    Ya no auger buttom. Appears It has coolant buttom but not up or down. As for the feed rate over ride no knob, just button + -.
    looks like I have a few extra buttons. Explains why when I hit rapid 50% it goes to 100%...

Maybe they put the wrong keypad overlay on yours. I believe they just double side tape on.

Have you gotten any run time on your machines yet? Im wondering if there any tricks to make DNC paths smoother. Im surfacing that RC boat mold and the moves are so short and jerky it sound like the mill is hurting
    Im not scared to build a new post so if anyone has tips please let me know! It may be a byproduct of the 150 ipm feeds but I would think theres something out there I can try.

No, haven't been able to power them up yet. About a payday away from ordering my 40hp phase converter.

I was reading about the dnc and not all are created equal. Some can stream faster than others. You might be out running your dnc abilities. Usually when it gets into full 3d moves during mold making is when you start to see the effect.

So the machine has been running pretty good for the last month until today...

I powered it up and started my warmup cycle when it stopped running because of low air pressure - I had just cleaned my compressor earlier and was flushing the lines and must have shut the valve at the compressor or something. Anyways I fix that and home all axes and start again, this time it goes to 'empty' the spindle prior to warm up, and the carrier movings in X towards spindle to deposit the tool except there is no tool in the spindle - it is still in the carrier - and CRASH!!!

I tried the restore tool changer function, and this time tried the cycle with rapid at 5% and it was going to do it again. I stopped it when the door opened so I could pop the tool out of the changer and then let it finish so I could get the spindle clear. I cycled the ATC to see what was wrong and everything looks like it lines up okay, but it makes a metal on metal squeeking/grinding sound that is new.
    It may just be something I never noticed before, or an optical illusion but my tools also look like they are hanging a little bit crooked, maybe they just always do because of their weight and how they are held, maybe the plate is bent...

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I did a quick search and saw other ATC crashes but not quite like this. Is the sound a concern? What about the tools hanging? What is the best way to determine the extent of the damage?
    I'll try and post a picture when I get a chance.

To prevent freak accidents like this from happening is it common to keep the T1 pocket empty?

I had a problem once running a rambaudi. I also restart program, rehomed, and always the tool change was messed up in regards to it forgets what's in or not in spindle. Usually had to dump program and reload to clear out any active m code. Later I found, I could restart but had to enter m6T0 to tell the machine it didn't have a tool. Not sure if that applies but sounds like somewhere in there it forgot what it had in the spindle.

Also check out that little gear box attached to the tool changer motor. Many little gears in that box. Since it got bumped might have to re align the disc. Hopefully nothing is broke.

The ATC Restore powers down the machine and it runs fine; its the sound as the turret rotates that I don't like.
    I suppose I should go try t0m6 and then test a few other tools to verify it goes to the right spot but I dont think it could lose that from crashing in a linear move. Im more concerned that something is bent, either the plate, housing, or guides.

You think you could hold the tool changer door open and throw a dial indicator up there and cycle through the carosel?

Good call on checking that box! That wasnt actually the problem, but it would have taken me a while to find out that big ol bolt that holds the turret on had gotten knocked loose. Tightened that up and now my tools look straight and theres no noise!
    It has probably been a little loose all along, which was lucky for me because it had just enough give to avoid some serious damage. Now I know to be extra careful EVERY time a tool change gets interrupted. Rapid 5% if your friend!

Glad you got it!

I've been problem free for a while now, seems I was due for something new...
    I lost power the other day while I was in the middle of running a part, I figured it would be back on quick enough so I didn't think much of it-turns out it would be a couple days before it was back. I never leave a tool in the spindle but since I had been cutting when I lost juice I couldn't do anything about it, once power was back I started with a warm up file and when it released the tool and there was a really loud pop/clank which made me anxious. I cleaned the inside of the spindle taper in case there was some gunk up there, and checked the holder for tight pull stud/more gunk. After that I just resumed cutting for a while until I got to a tool change and nothing happened-I heard the air, but no release, and an Alarm 134 popped up. I looked into it but everyone else seems to have an intermittent issue with this resolved by adjusting the switches or replacing an o-ring. Its only been a day so I can't say for certain but this doesn't seem intermittent, I still can't get the tool out after trying several times over the past 24 hours.

I was thinking maybe the spindle was a bit warm but checking this morning now that it is cooled off and it still won't come out.
    I checked my 60 gallon compressor and it is at 120PSI.
    I checked the main regulator at the machine and it is at 90 PSI.
    Does the secondary regulator on the back have anything to do with this?
    Any other things I should check?

Quote Originally Posted by evanse89 View Post
    I've been problem free for a while now, seems I was due for something new...
    I lost power the other day while I was in the middle of running a part, I figured it would be back on quick enough so I didn't think much of it-turns out it would be a couple days before it was back. I never leave a tool in the spindle but since I had been cutting when I lost juice I couldn't do anything about it, once power was back I started with a warm up file and when it released the tool and there was a really loud pop/clank which made me anxious. I cleaned the inside of the spindle taper in case there was some gunk up there, and checked the holder for tight pull stud/more gunk. After that I just resumed cutting for a while until I got to a tool change and nothing happened-I heard the air, but no release, and an Alarm 134 popped up. I looked into it but everyone else seems to have an intermittent issue with this resolved by adjusting the switches or replacing an o-ring. Its only been a day so I can't say for certain but this doesn't seem intermittent, I still can't get the tool out after trying several times over the past 24 hours.

I was thinking maybe the spindle was a bit warm but checking this morning now that it is cooled off and it still won't come out.
    I checked my 60 gallon compressor and it is at 120PSI.
    I checked the main regulator at the machine and it is at 90 PSI.
    Does the secondary regulator on the back have anything to do with this?
    Any other things I should check?
    To get your tool out, place a box with foam or rags underneath to catch the tool. While pressing and holding the tool release button, tap on the tool holder with a dead blow hammer. Sometimes it takes a few pops with the hammer, but it usually comes out. If that still is not doing the trick, then gently pry without marring the precision surfaces (with tool release still engaged) until the tool releases.

Once you have the tool out, use WD-40 or similar cleaner to clean both the spindle and tool tapers. I even use a bit of scotch brite, very gently, to help cut the crud if its heavy. After cleaning, usually the tool sticking and popping goes away.

Hope this helps.

Page 4 of 5 2345