584,837 active members*
5,677 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Air Consumption on older Haas?
Page 1 of 4 123

Hybrid View

Air Consumption on older Haas?

I have a 1993 VF3 that I recently moved into my shop and while getting it up and running I noticed an air leak from around the spindle. After removing the covers I found the culprit, which appears to be part of the drawbar mechanism(solenoid?). It is located at the base of the spindle motor on the left side. It is constantly leaking air while the machine is powered on not just while changing tools; I can't recall if it leaks while the machine off, I don't think it does but I can check that later today.
    This is the only leak I can detect and it is draining air like crazy; I have a 150PSI 60 gallon tank just for this machine and it will be empty in 15 minutes. This seems pretty significant to me, is it possible that the switch is broken, or maybe some other line is plugged? I didn't see anything that looked out of place so I'm fairly certain some other line didn't pop off...

Re: Air Consumption on older Haas?

Either a switch or a solenoid valve malfunction. There is airflow through the spindle during a tool change and for a few minutes after. It could just be something stuck as a result of using wet or oily air but probably the simple solution is to replace the solenoid valve.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Anytime the spindle is turned on, air will come out around it. It will shut off after 2-3 minutes. No air is used when the machine is sitting idle. So, let it sit for a few minutes and plug anything that leaks after that.

If it uses a lot of air when the spindle is on, check that the secondary regulator in the back for the spindle is set to 15 psi I think it is. No higher.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

It leaks constantly.

I could feel air blasting out of that solenoid when I put my hand next to it. I checked out our VF3 at work and it makes no where near the racket the one at home does.
    I do recall that I tried to plug the leak with my finger and it caused the drawbar spring widget to move, which makes me think that maybe it is intentional; it just seems like its bleeding too much air for that.

I will check that regulator, if that was set to high then maybe that's the culprit, if not I will try replacing the solenoid.

Quote Originally Posted by evanse89 View Post
    It leaks constantly.

I could feel air blasting out of that solenoid when I put my hand next to it. I checked out our VF3 at work and it makes no where near the racket the one at home does.
    I do recall that I tried to plug the leak with my finger and it caused the drawbar spring widget to move, which makes me think that maybe it is intentional; it just seems like its bleeding too much air for that.

I will check that regulator, if that was set to high then maybe that's the culprit, if not I will try replacing the solenoid.
    That should indicate that a solenoid is stuck. Trace back and replace or clean.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Just to add my 2 cents and for a bit of clarity.

The main air regulator for the machine supply air should be at 85psi. Directly off the main regulator, you should have a line that goes to a solenoid and small air regulator that supplies air/oil mix to the spindle; this should be set at 15-17psi. The air/oil solenoid should be on anytime the spindle is on and will remain on for 2-3 minutes after the spindle stops.

This is mostly repeat information, but there are a couple of responses that are confusing or innacurate.

I believe it should be 100psi and 4cfm?

It leaks even when the machine is not turned on-the middle port facing the spindle motor is open/empty, should there be something there? I also cannot find an exact match on the model #, I will try calling HAAS but maybe somebody here knows if I can replace it with something similar? Part # is 55B-11-PI-111BA
    Attachment 262586
    (Picture is representative, not the actual part)

I also checked the smaller regulator in the back, it looks to be broken as well. I turned it all the way open and the reading didn't change though it just occurred to me that maybe this is caused by the leak and there is no way to maintain any pressure?
    I didn't realize this only registers pressure while the spindle is running...

DIY, the main reg on the machine is set to 85 PSI and my compressor is 60 gallons at 150 PSI. How are your machines looking? You actually snaked them out from under me! I went down and took a look but hesitated about 6 hours too long!

After looking at some exploded diagrams and pictures I believe there is supposed to be one of those bronze filters in that port-that would explain why it is leaking so much-I have a brass fitting in there but its pretty much just a big hole.

After looking at some exploded diagrams and pictures I believe there is supposed to be one of those bronze filters in that port-that would explain why it is leaking so much-I have a brass fitting in there but its pretty much just a big hole.
    No, the bronze filter is just to limit the noise of the air coming out when it is supposed to. It will not prevent any leaks. You need to track the leak down, back trace it and fix it.

Mike

That is the leak. Maybe the solenoid is stuck open as well as the muffler/filter missing-I will try to clean it as an interim fix while I order up a replacement.

While it was assembled I could reach in and cover that hole with my finger and trigger the drawbar (spring would compress) Doesn't that mean its working properly? That would mean that it was always open. If it is supposed to be that way then air should always be leaking through like it is.

That is the leak. Maybe the solenoid is stuck open as well as the muffler/filter missing-I will try to clean it as an interim fix while I order up a replacement.

While it was assembled I could reach in and cover that hole with my finger and trigger the drawbar (spring would compress) Doesn't that mean its working properly? That would mean that it was always open. If it is supposed to be that way then air should always be leaking through like it is.
    No, that is not right. The valve is stuck open it seems.

Mike

I can't find one with the 55B-11-PI-111BA part # but I see a lot of the 55B-12-PI-111BA. Looking in Mac Valvues catalog it looks like the 11 is 1/4" NPT and the 12 is 3/8" NPT so hopefully there is room to fit a couple of reducers once everything gets put back together...

Does anybody have a digital copy of the service manual for older machines? The stuff on Haas' website is mostly for new machines and doesn't necessarily reflect what I am working with. I've started taking it apart bit by bit to find any other troublesome issues and I would like to see a representation of how it came from the factory; I think the previous owners may have done some modifications that aren't quite up to spec...

I am also getting a return margin error for Y axis. I was getting this with Z but I cleaned the limit and the drive dog(switcher widget?) and now it seems fixed, the Y axis one looks kind of warped. Could that be the source of the error, and how critical is the location/alignment of that?

I am also getting a return margin error for Y axis. I was getting this with Z but I cleaned the limit and the drive dog(switcher widget?) and now it seems fixed, the Y axis one looks kind of warped. Could that be the source of the error, and how critical is the location/alignment of that?
    A damaged or sticking switch can definitely cause the zero return margin error. As long as the switch gets triggered and the axis motor reverses to back off of the switch during the homing process, all is good. Just be sure to reset your work offset any time the home switches are messed with.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the clarification, my new solendoid should be waiting on my doorstep so fingers are crossed that replacing that fixes all my woes.
    The return margin seems to be an intermittent error (the worst kind) so we will see if cleaning the switch solves it.

Thanks for the advice, I replaced the solenoid and I'm back in business!
    Sort of...
    Now that the leaks are fixed I fired the mill back up and that pesky Y return margin rears up every time I send the machine home. I'm pretty sure when I pulled the way covers off I warped that limit switch dog; the question is how do I get that error to go away? Every time I hit the auto power up or home Y axis it comes up and I dont particularly want to redo my offsets every time I turn the machine on...

I'm pretty sure when I pulled the way covers off I warped that limit switch dog
    What EXACTLY do you mean by warped?

the question is how do I get that error to go away?
    If you damaged or "warped" the bracket that triggers the switch, then fix what was damaged or warped. Once repaired, you may still need to adjust parameter 126 Y Grid Offset. This parameter is what tells the machine how far to turn the ball screw in order to back off the limit switch once it has been triggered.

I dont particularly want to redo my offsets every time I turn the machine on...
    Once the problem is fixed, you will not need to reset everytime you turn the machine on.

Do a custom search here on CNCzone using 'grid offset haas' and you will find many posts dealing with this type of problem.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

That little flag that hits the switch is kind of twisted, I think when I was loosening the bolts near it or pulling off the side covers something got caught on it and bent it. I 'straightened' it out but it must not be back in the same spot otherwise this error would go away, I think changing that grid offset should do the trick.
    Geof I see you must be an expert with this!
    Thanks everybody!

Page 1 of 4 123