586,000 active members*
5,031 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Shopsabre 4896 vs Multicam 1000

Hey everyone. Newbie looking for some info/advice. Need to make a decision by Monday for a cnc router. Currently have quotes for the multicam 1000 and shopsabre 4896, budget of around $50k. The multicam is more expensive and seems to have less than the shopsabre, but the multicam has local support/techs and provides 2 days of onsite training. This will be our first cnc router, although I have operated a plasmacam previously. Looking for real world advice from users of both machines. Any answers to the questions below would be appreciated.

• Are they 2 machines on the same level or am I comparing apples to oranges?
    • The multicam has a rack/pinion whereas the shopsabre has a ball screw setup. Both salesman give reasons why each is better. From your experience, which is better?
    • We only have single phase power in our unit. Anyone have experience with phase converters for the vacuum pump? Will a single phase vacuum pump still suffice for holding down smaller sheets if necessary? How small?
    • How often do these machines require support/service?
    • Enroute vs Vectric? Preferences? We use Flexisign now for our vinyl cutting and Enroute looks to have a similar interface, but is more expensive. Is it worth the extra money?
    • Anyone have any bad experiences with either company? I've searched and seems I can only find some bad posts on Multicam.

Thanks in advance for your time :cheers:

Re: Shopsabre 4896 vs Multicam 1000

Give us a list of Specs for each machine because right now the Multicam is in the lead but you have only mentioned service. I will tell you, service experience with Multicam will vary from distributor to distributor. Some are more service oriented, some are more interested in selling a new machine. Ask around in your area of others that have Multicam machines, not just the list that Multicam would give you. Ask on the Zone.