584,860 active members*
5,134 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

CNC controller with USB?

Hi, I'm about to order a set of Nema23 motors and some motordrivers from ebay (http://m.ebay.com/itm/171343393397)

However, I also need a circuitboard for controlling the drivers.

I don't have a parallell port on my machine, so I'd like one that uses USB. Alternatively WiFi or Ethernet.

Can anyone recommend any CNC controllerboard that uses USB?

Re: CNC controller with USB?

What control software do you plan on using?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    What control software do you plan on using?
    Not really sure, but something Windowsbased. I'd like to go opensource and free if I can find any good software, but I might end up with paying for Mach3 which seems like a popular choice.

Have you looked at USBCNC ?It will drive the machine,but you will still need to find a board to interface with the machine.

Most if not all hardware is specific to the software you'll be using.

There are a lot of Mach3 options, but there are several other Windows controls available as well.
    I don't much about any of the open source options.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

There is a PCI slot motion card with LinuxCNC.
    Or Kflop Dynomotion.
    Max.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

If you would like a hands down, super easy, fully capable USB control that can run from any laptop, Flashcut CNC is probably the ultimate. The ultimate comes at a cost... probably somewhere around $1200 without any Motors or Motor driver options, but you might note that there is very little discussed in any "Flashcut Forum"... it works, it has everything 99% of anyone needs, and it the documentation is clear and accurate, and the user interface never leaves you confused or lost. They also have a phone number with people on the other end to make you a satisfied customer.

For less money, you can find a USB control from Planet CNC and one from Eding CNC, but to my knowledge, there are not very many users to poll when it comes to how it works, specifically when it comes to "Compared To" one of the other programs. Could be great, could be a ??

For less yet, you have of course Mach3, which is long in the tooth, works wonderfully for many, fails miserably for many. While you were looking for USB options, 3rd parties offered at one time, USB ability for Mach at a $$ above and beyond the price of Mach , but many were left holding the bag when it did not work out exactly as planned. To my understanding, there are ethernet options that currently work, but your still going to be using the sometimes flaky old software on this 3rd party hardware.

There are a lot of dedicated Mach users, and many will tell you they never had a problem with Mach. You can visit the massive forum and find that there are likely as many who had issues with it. Nonetheless, if your going to run Mach3, you wont be doing it via laptop, and if your going to do it without parallel port, you have to invest more $$ than the initial $150. Keep that in mind.

Mach4 ??? Last I read recently, not quite ready for prime time.... perhaps soon though.

If you want an adventure, you could look into the Arduino/GRBL or TinyG developments. BOTH sure seem to be making incredible progress with both operation and user ergonomics. Inexpensive too.

If you have time for a similar adventure, you could jump into LinuxCNC, but be ready to deal with some of the typical help people get from the Linux communities. You will not find ALL of what your looking for by using any user interfaces. Simple things like establishing I/O debounce has to be added to config files MANUALLY, and if you do happen to use the little gui they offer (stepconf), it will OVERWRITE what you added. Sadly, finding out WHAT you need to add to the configuration files can take days of research. Regards my debounce issue, the manual gave this as the answer > "loadrt debounce cfg=size[,size,...]" That was pretty much it. And, what they did not indicate was that there was a bunch of OTHER lines that had to be added. Why the gui can't just be more in depth is beyond me.

Lcnc documentation is probably thorough, but often only making sense to those who have been using it for some time, or perhaps those who have been Linux enthusiasts for years. The good news is Lcnc has a forum, and the fellows there seem to stick with you until your "issue" is solved.

Let us know what you end up with !
    Chris L

Eding cnc is really slick and works great and has top notch support

I would recommend getting the Ethernet version over the usb version however

UCCNC with their usb100 is working out pretty well for me. It's cross compatible with Mach3 and in fact i downloaded and installed the Mach3 configuration file from Gecko's website to configure mine. It has a pretty thorough manual and enough options to satisfy an advanced hobbyist. I run it from a USB cable from my laptop. Ive had it for a few months and i have no legitimate complaints. I got it from Arturo at cnc4pc.com

if you were tight on budget, then you can give a try ncstudio...
    it is about $50
    a pendant for, a wireless about 120-150

you get a pci card in your computer, a breakout board, and the ncstudio 4.53..
    it has homing function, automatic zero, spindle control,
    same speed like other cards, pulsing is 160 kHz

NcSTUDIO for cnc machine with high quality, View NcSTUDIO for cnc machine with high quality, NC STUDIO Product Details from Guangzhou Kedio CNC Equipment Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

at this moment theres no cheaper control..
    most pci card start somewhere 1000 ...

if your issue is only the parallel port, then ebay always has refurbished dell about 80-120 and you can use mach3 as soft control..

Guys, thanks a lot for very good feedback!

The most interresting so far are TinyG ($129), the the MK3/4 from Planet-CNC ($140) and the UC100 from cnc4pc ($129).

The cheapest from Eding is around $240 I think, and thus a bit too expensive.

The one called GRBL also looks promising. And the fact that it's Norwegian is a plus since I am too

LinuxCNC sounds like too much of a sideproject for me. I just want it to work so that I can get on with my CNC machine.

With the UC100 I don't quite see yet how it connects. Seems like I need a board between the UC100 and the motordrivers?

The UC100 is like an adapter. It has a mini USB jack on one side and a parallel port on the other side. For my setup, i plug the parallel port plug right into the Gecko G540 stepper motor driver parallel port and then a USB cord to a USB port on my laptop. It works great if your using a Gecko G540 to drive your steppers. If your using some type of break out board that can connect via USB or Ethernet then your right, its not required.

Keep in mind that with the UC100, you also need to buy a Mach3 license, or a license for their UCCNC software for 45 Euros.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

I gotta tell you guys that I have built and bought several CNC machines. All of my builds and one bought had PP integration to Mach 3. They all work and do it well. It didn't happen by itself. I like many have had my share of issues with various hardware and versions of Mach 3. Sometimes it is a matter of how it is all put together. IE the cabinet build. Electrical noise and computer processing dedication are likely the two biggest offenders for having trouble with Mach 3. Shorts and miss wires taking care of most of the rest. Mach 3 takes a lot of undeserved heat, though they should be warm.
    All my machines work fine with Mach 3 and PP and some even with laptops. I had to find the correct version that did not have glitches for the application, but that really was just trial and error.

My newest machine though is a Novakon Pulsar that has a Smooth Stepper ethernet. It also has a new arduino BOB that is Novakon specific for SS. Once I found the correct version of Mach to run on it, it has been flawless. It's predicessor would post an estop every now and then. No such activity there.

I am not against the newfanled stuff either. Just don't dismiss Mach 3 because of what you have heard. It is easy to try out yourself. It may be old, but still powerful and versatile.
    Lee

Has anyone here got any experiences with GRBL or TinyG?

My only experience with either was your post.
    Lee

I've ordered three Nema 23s and one TinyG. I really like that its open source, uses USB, has a REST/JSON interface, that you can add external motordriver and that it isn't as expensive as most others.

The web based ChiliPeppr GUI looks nice as well, and since its possible to just send Gcode via JSON it is even possible to create your own webpages or even mobile apps to talk to it. Perhaps I'll make an app that can show the current status of the millingjob on my phone.

I've not had either an Arduino or a TinyG in my hands to play with for CNC. I've just been following the best I can because I have 2 small format machines underway that seem like they could be really great candidates.

Best I can tell, the Arduino/GRBL side would allow you to run larger motors by also using larger drivers, where, the tinyg is an all in one board with a 2.5a recommended maximum. So, based on that, I would have just pointed out that the TinyG may not be large enough depending on what you wanted to build for a machine.

But, you have answered that by indicating your purchase ! If it fits your needs, I think that is a great device to start with. probably going to be a choice of mine as well.

What is interesting is that there is obviously a lot of people already using it with great success, primarily in the 3d printing world. Some of the motion trajectory videos are very impressive.

User interfaces like Chilipepper look to be pretty complete, albeit for a wide variety of current developer needs, meaning, some gui references are generally of no value to a typical 3 or 4 axis cnc machine and the G-code we tend to care about, but it still is impressive. The one thing I did not like about Chili is simply that it is a web development.... it requires an internet connection to work unless you jump thru a plethora of hoops getting all the required dependencies loaded on your own LOCAL IIS or Apache server. A thought that crossed my mind was how secure a persons G-code would be in this arrangement. Sure, some do not care about the code for a little sign they made from grandma, but I routinely deal with product code that is proprietary. One may find out that in time, Chili had been collecting everyones "projects" not much unlike Facebook takes over copyright of everyones photos !

But there are other options (like tgFX) and I am sure, there will be more on the way when you consider the overall low cost of such a device, not to mention the control cabinet space and headroom required for most other options. Seems a PERFECT fit for small, very robust, and portable machines.

I've got a handful of other things in the fire, but hope to purchase a TinyG in the next few months. Be sure to let us all know how you make out. There has not been much discussion here in the zone about this new (not so new) brave world of control options.
    Chris L

Hello Guys.
    In 2007 I desided to build my own CNC mill. I did not know anything about CNC, but I look around the WEB and my choice was Eding CNC usb four axis controller.

It has been working very vell with only few errors.

I have also convertet a Boxford lathe with USBCNC 5 axis controller. It also turned out very well.

When you look at the Price, then keep in mind that CNCUSB software is free, and Bert updates the program anytime new things come up (plasma cutting, 3D print etc)

So all in all I think that Edings USBCNC is worth the Money.

Excuse for my poor English, I´m from Denmark

Hi again guys. So, as I said, I ended up buying the TinyG board.

I've powered it up with a 24V power supply, attached the three Nema 23 motors and hooked to my computer with a USB cable. After following the wellwritten guide on tinyg.net, and also playing around with ChiliPeppr - Hardware Fiddle I must say; I couldn't be happier! This is just awesome! So simple, and so powerful!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-01-10 22.01.27.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	263912

Very pleased so far with TinyG!

Page 1 of 2 12