584,861 active members*
4,766 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Basic LinuxCNC Postprocessor

Basic LinuxCNC Postprocessor

Hey all,

A Sprut newbie showing up here. I have been running through the tutorials and getting a handle on the operations with Sprut. I'm purchasing because I love the integration of the models, simulation, fixturing and such available and the price is attainable for me as a hobby shop. The biggest issue I see coming at me though is where the rubber meets the road so to speak. The post processor. Included were just a few mills, Faunc30i and then Mach3. I have a conversion machine so nothing is of course going to be easy. Basic 3 axis system running LinuxCNC 2.6 (PM-25 or G0704 style mill.)

Everyone suggested trying the Faunc mill post as a start but that generates gobs of errors when loaded into LinuxCNC. After editing 7 or 8 lines I quit. Output that requires that much love is not going to work for me. I also tried Mach3 and got useful output with a few errors.

- The % and OXXXXXX label at the head of the file didn't go over with LinuxCNC. Commented that out.

- G50 in the preamble is not recognized for clearing scale factor. I was able to edit that out of the post pretty easy as well.

- M998 is an error and seems to be related to Tormach mills and tool changing. I have no auto tool changers so I edited that out of a couple locations I think and stopped getting that in the output.

- G52 X0 Y0 Z0 also blows up LinuxCNC but how that gets generated is a bit beyond me right now. Seems to be some kind of stepped offset from origin. I'm afraid that if I use offset copies of parts on a fixture later on I may see this being used.

So does anyone have any leads on a just a basic LinuxCNC (EMC) postprocessor for Sprut? No point in reinventing the wheel if anyone already has a wheel to start from. Any ideas on where and why Sprut may spit out G51 & G52?
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Re: Basic LinuxCNC Postprocessor

Pm me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Basic LinuxCNC Postprocessor

Ran a test part tonight and it went well with the modified Mach3 post. Jonesturf sent a possible EMC post but I ran into more issues with it than the modified Mach. My next test will be to try some translated tool paths and see if that puts out a G52 code and maybe figure out how to modify that.

Still would love it someone has a vetted post for EMC/LinuxCNC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

You might need to dig into the SprutCAM post editor and create your own post or modify an existing post to work with your systems. Have you tried contacting Sprut in Russia yet? They try pretty hard to be helpful and might already have a LinuxCNC post for you to use.

Mike

Thanks I'll give them a try. I did edit a bit starting from the Mach3 post but their system is a bit complex and I understand about maybe 25% of what it's doing. Getting the M998 stuff and the G50 out of the preamble is already functional but.... I don't know what I don't know so I'm not sure there will not be some gotchas coming up. I'll touch base with them and see if they have something developed already or might look into doing it. There are a few others out there that seem to be looking as well.

There was a video on Sprut's YouTube channel on modifying a post. I haven't tried that, but it be be of help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PihZs9WpGMA

Note that this is not the "official" SprutCAM channel but the author appears to be connected to Sprut. This one is in English and the SprutCAM channel has another one in Russian. The SprutCAMUK channel might have another.

Mike

Has anyone found a solution to this? I am running a KFLOP board and KmotionCNC (supposed to use an EMC post-processor).

I requested one from Sprut and the one he sent was close, but still mostly garbage. I spent some time editing the postprocessor and I think I have one that works reasonably well for a single tool (maybe others) in SC9. I tried uploading it but the website doesn't allow it. If you send me an email (pm), I can send it to you but ymmv