584,800 active members*
4,392 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Pause under G-Code control

I have just switched from Mach2 to DeskCNC.

Is there any way to have pause (or a pause) under G-Code control? I am using it for a plasma table and need to wait until the arc is good before making the cut. I was using a macro waiting for an input with Mach2 and have not found a way to duplicate that functionality with DeskCNC

Thanks, Greg

I don't know if your question is just general in nature, or specific to the control you are using, but
    G04 P1000
    might mean a pause of 1000 milliseconds.
    G04 P1.0
    might also be accepted by the controller. Two ways of calling for a 1 second pause in standard software.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Desk CNC accepts G04 or G4 as pause and numbers in seconds.
    I write G4 30 or G4 60 in all my tool changes. As a saftey, I hit the "pause button" on the screen also, just in case I tripped on the way to the boys room.
    G4 is listed as "dwell" ( or stay in place).
    Hopes this helps.

Adobe (old as dirt )

Thanks for the input but i guess I was not clear enough. I can insert manual pauses just fine (G04 P0.5)

I need to monitor the arc good signal on the plasma cutter. I need to pause untill an input on the controller changes state. In mach2 I was using a macro that waited on an input pin. I am trying to have the controller automatically stop if there is a problem with the plasma cutter

I am thinking that I can gate the pause input signal on the gen2 controller with another output signal to only have it active when the torch is cutting. A macro that could check the status of an input pin would be better though.

I'm not quite ready to jump into the DeskCNC API but it looks like it could be done there.

Thanks, Greg

Thats certinly more complicated than my experiance with Desk CNC..You might E mail DC precision, he has a lot of experiance with Desk CNC and already has some work arounds..other sources are Scott @ Machine Tool Camp,715-532-5308 , really knows Desk CNC and routers-plasma type machines. Fred Smith @ IM Srv is another expert with Desk CNC, might try @ 248-486-3600 .

Keep us informed how you solved this problem..

Adobe (old as dirt )

Quote Originally Posted by gregger2k View Post
    Thanks for the input but i guess I was not clear enough. I can insert manual pauses just fine (G04 P0.5)

I need to monitor the arc good signal on the plasma cutter. I need to pause untill an input on the controller changes state. In mach2 I was using a macro that waited on an input pin. I am trying to have the controller automatically stop if there is a problem with the plasma cutter
    Use the "Feed Hold" pin. This will permit you to pause (not dwell for a predetermined length of time) motion at any time "until" a given logical condition is met ( arc voltage for instance). With ttl logic, you can implement about as complicated a set of condition as you can dream up. If you need even more complicated condition sets, you can also interface this pin to a PLC. You can also use limit and e-stop to add safety measures to your control system.

Fred Smith - IMService
    http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby

M0? We use that at work when we have to squirt oil into a hole before it gets tapped...

Feed Hold Pin

Quote Originally Posted by imserv View Post
    Use the "Feed Hold" pin. This will permit you to pause (not dwell for a predetermined length of time) motion at any time "until" a given logical condition is met ( arc voltage for instance). With ttl logic, you can implement about as complicated a set of condition as you can dream up. If you need even more complicated condition sets, you can also interface this pin to a PLC. You can also use limit and e-stop to add safety measures to your control system.

Fred Smith - IMService
    IMService Special offer to hobby CNC Enthusiasts
    Fred,

I currently run DeskCNC on my 3axis router and I'm interested in converting it to CNC plasma. Sorry for digging up this old post, but you mention the "Feed Hold" pin. I haven't seen this input on the diagram for my 2nd gen controller. Did I misunderstand this post?

Quote Originally Posted by esp173 View Post
    Fred,

I currently run DeskCNC on my 3axis router and I'm interested in converting it to CNC plasma. Sorry for digging up this old post, but you mention the "Feed Hold" pin. I haven't seen this input on the diagram for my 2nd gen controller. Did I misunderstand this post?
    AKA Pause

+5v, Cycle Start, Pause, Probe/lim, Estp