585,605 active members*
3,295 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > CNC Fusion Kit #5 does NOT directly fit LMS X2D

CNC Fusion Kit #5 does NOT directly fit LMS X2D

Since I don't see anyone selling conversion kits specifically for the Little Machine Shop X2D. I went ahead and bought the CNCFusion #5 kit. First of all, they did not advertise that it will fit the LMS X2D mill. So this is by no means bashing CNCFusion. Their product description only say it will fit the HiTorque and SX2L. Judging by the dimensions, I made the assumption that it should fit. I've actually emailed CNCFusion to see if it would fit. Their exact words were that it would "fit fixed column" mills. But they didn't specifically say it would fits X2D. Kind of dodged my question in a way, but whatever, I continued the order it anyways to see it for myself.

Well, the result is that the Y axis is a tad bit too long. It is about 0.2" too long.

Attachment 262386
    Attachment 262384

And for the X axis, it is a tad bit too short, about 0.2", where the coupler will hit the base.
    Attachment 262388

I am not sure where the differences are between X2D and the other machines. But anyways, I already emailed them regarding the issue. Perhaps they will tweak the design to support the X2D. In the meantime, I was thinking I will just use a few washers to get it going and mill a new motor mount block. Any ideas?

Re: CNC Fusion Kit #5 does NOT directly fit LMS X2D

There are more than a couple of foundries making castings for these mills - all basically the same pattern for various assembly plants. Chinese quality control being what it is, it is not unexpected that this degree of difference is found on occasion. Michael at CNC Fusion created his kits for the original X2's, and as a sideline business, holding kits for every variation the Chinese produce would be impractical. It has long been understood that these machines require 'finessing' to fit / work correctly...................personally i'd fire up a grinder and groove the column end of the Y axis slot to fit and spacer the X and live with it's imperfections!

You misunderstood me. I am not saying they should hold a kit for every variation. I am saying if they tweak their #5 kit, it would include X2D as a supported machine in the same kit. Not creating a whole new kit.

I could just modify it and make it work, but that wouldn't benefit anyone else with a X2D. I am basically doing the test fitment for CNCFusion to fit the X2D, for free. :bat:

I'd perfer to see what their response is. A business is a business regardless. It makes no difference if it is sideline.

In the meantime, others with X2D or planning to buy one should know this info.

Quote Originally Posted by kawazuki View Post
    There are more than a couple of foundries making castings for these mills - all basically the same pattern for various assembly plants. Chinese quality control being what it is, it is not unexpected that this degree of difference is found on occasion. Michael at CNC Fusion created his kits for the original X2's, and as a sideline business, holding kits for every variation the Chinese produce would be impractical. It has long been understood that these machines require 'finessing' to fit / work correctly...................personally i'd fire up a grinder and groove the column end of the Y axis slot to fit and spacer the X and live with it's imperfections!
    Looks like CNCFusion is telling me to take out the grinder too. I guess, but it sucks. It is what it is though. Thanks for your suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by sudoshi View Post
    You misunderstood me. I am not saying they should hold a kit for every variation. I am saying if they tweak their #5 kit, it would include X2D as a supported machine in the same kit. Not creating a whole new kit.

I could just modify it and make it work, but that wouldn't benefit anyone else with a X2D. I am basically doing the test fitment for CNCFusion to fit the X2D, for free. :bat:

I'd perfer to see what their response is. A business is a business regardless. It makes no difference if it is sideline.

In the meantime, others with X2D or planning to buy one should know this info.
    No, I fully understood your point but seemingly your way of fixing the problem is to make the screw shorter so disadvantaging anyone who doesn't have a X2D! - Like I said VARIATIONS!

A business only needs to respond to its market - in this case fairly niche - DIY CNC, of which an even smaller niche exists - X2 machines, and you may be the only X2D conversion........ever?

If one kit a month is sold (say) but it takes (say) 5hrs to re-set his machines / lathe to re-cut a possible one off screw and bearing block - even at $20 an hour its 100 bucks which is likely at
    least to be the profit on the whole kit as a sole trader / sideline manufacturer?
    I'm not having a go, just trying to point out not everything is exactly as everyone wants it all of the time!

The more I research this kit, the more I think it is just another hacked up kit. There are others with 3990 and SX2L with the exact same problem dated back last year. Basically he doesn't want to help or back his product. Grinding the base is not a solution in terms of providing a real product. Micheal's reasoning for leaving the ballscrew this long purposely is moot. A simple solution could have been to thicken the mounting or add a spacer like what most people is doing on their own. I don't see haveing 0.2" towards to column help with anything, his whole reasoning is pointless. He could have easily ADDED 0.2" towards the outside by creating a bigger block or a optional spacer, but yet he rather see his customer grinding the base instead.

Based on the response I got from CNCFusion, I highly doubt he really cares about this product. So I don't see why he is still selling it. I guess to sucker new people like me into buying it... O well lesson learned.

Anyways, for those who find this thread in the future, I will be talking to a guy a Turkey that is happy to provide a REAL bolt on kit. My CNCFusion kit will be for sale as soon as I the new one.

First of all, they did not advertise that it will fit the LMS X2D mill. So this is by no means bashing CNCFusion. Their product description only say it will fit the HiTorque and SX2L. Judging by the dimensions, I made the assumption that it should fit. Any ideas?
    So it sure sounds like you don't mean what you say, you are bashing him now. also sounds like he gave you the same idea as was posted here. what did you think he should have done, taken the kit back, remachined the parts and sent it back to you all free of charge i bet too? because you can't use a powertool yourself? give me a break dude.

Quote Originally Posted by treyjugson View Post
    So it sure sounds like you don't mean what you say, you are bashing him now. also sounds like he gave you the same idea as was posted here. what did you think he should have done, taken the kit back, remachined the parts and sent it back to you all free of charge i bet too? because you can't use a powertool yourself? give me a break dude.
    No, he should take it back and give me a full refund because I can design a better one. I was looking to save time, but this is a total waste of time if a kit can't even consider TOLLERENCES. It's not like I have the only odd ball machine. Especially if this is a known issue dated years ago. The solution to this issue is simple for the seller to fix, but yet left it alone for years. It is NOT listed on his product description nor in his instruction. I am just mad at myself now for not researching this product ahead of time. Consider this a review for future buyers.

It's funn you say "free of charge." I don't consider buying a kit for $650 equals to FREE OF CHARGE.

Let me get this straight.... You knowingly bought a kit that is NOT advertised to fit your machine, you installed it on your machine, and found it, in fact, does NOT fit. And now it's entirely the seller who is at fault, and should give you your money back on a (now) used kit? Surely you jest! You took a gamble and lost. Your decision. Your loss. Deal with it.

And you claim "I can design a better one." So why didn't you? If you have such skills, why not simply make the trivial mods necessary to make what you have work?

I'd hate to see what you consider "bashing", if, as you claim, "this is by no means bashing CNCFusion." Yikes....

Regards,
    Ray L.

No, he should take it back and give me a full refund because I can design a better one. I was looking to save time, but this is a total waste of time if a kit can't even consider TOLLERENCES. It's not like I have the only odd ball machine. Especially if this is a known issue dated years ago. The solution to this issue is simple for the seller to fix, but yet left it alone for years. It is NOT listed on his product description nor in his instruction. I am just mad at myself now for not researching this product ahead of time. Consider this a review for future buyers.

It's funn you say "free of charge." I don't consider buying a kit for $650 equals to FREE OF CHARGE.

no your expectation is ridiculous and you don't read what you write. he made NO claim that it would fit, you ASSUMED it would, that's on you. my free of charge comment was directed at my bet that you expected him to foot the bill for shipping, reworking and shipping back a kit you wrongly assumed would fit. you are making mountains out of molehills, it can be made to fit with a little work by yourself but i guess more than using a screwdriver is beyond you, you know what hobby this is right? did you ever ask for a refund? the time you've spent typing these posts whining about wasting your time could have easily been spent to accomplish the small work needed to fit the kit and get on with it.

Let's get something straight. The issue is NOT unique to X2D, it exist in the his advertised support of 3990 and SX2L. So this has nothing to do with me trying to fit it on a X2D anymore. End of discussion.

I didn't know that I had to grind the base until I searched others trying to fit it on 3990 and SX2L. It also means he should have either fixed it or noted it in his product description, which he did NEITHER. The return of product is due to the fact that his solution to an existing problem does not fit my liking. Again, he should have noted it in the product description.

You have a lot to learn about low-end Chinese machines. There is no consistency from one machine to the next, and it is basically impossible to make a kit that will fit any machine without some modification. These machines are made by different factories, and dimensions vary all over the map. So, your expectation does not mesh with reality.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    You have a lot to learn about low-end Chinese machines. There is no consistency from one machine to the next, and it is basically impossible to make a kit that will fit any machine without some modification. These machines are made by different factories, and dimensions vary all over the map. So, your expectation does not mesh with reality.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Actually my expectation does mesh with reality. In reality, if a seller discover a known issue, it should note it on its product description or part of the installation instruction. Again, let me repeat, NEITHER was done. I may not have bought it if it was noted that I had to grind this or grind that. I expected to fit at least with the NOTED modifications, which was drilling a few holes. You can call me stupid, but you cannot say I am wrong for this complaint.

Anyways, for those who find this thread in the future, I will be talking to a guy a Turkey that is happy to provide a REAL bolt on kit.
    Maybe your man in Turkey can make a kit for you without talking to you that will fit? Would LMAO if it didn't either! Shame you didn't do your research before purchase - still easier to blame
    someone else - its not as if the information or build threads are difficult to find...is it? If it makes you feel any worse......my #5 kit with preloaded ballnuts fitted as I expected it would....with some adjustment!

If I did all of my research then maybe I wouldn't buy a kit. Isn't that part of the value of the kit? You make it seem like its impossible to design a kit without grinding the base. So how many people with #5 kit has to grind the base? Whats the ratio of people not needed to grind the base? Let me guess, you are one of those suckers that had to WORK to fit a bolt on kit... I dont believe I should mod the base if I am paying fot a well designed kit. Especially when they have years to resolved a known issue.

If it makes you feel any better, you are probably a more competent user. Maybe CNCFusion should have sold you raw ballscrews and stocks tools instead since anyone can just make "adjustments."

It is perfectly legitimit for CNCFusion for not wanting to fix the issue. Like you said, he is busy with other things since this is just his side business. That's fine and dandy. But it is also perfectly legitmit for a consumer like me to complain and wanting to return the product.

Somehow, I am getting a vibe from you that since I am on this forum, that everyone should be a "machinist." And that we no longer need to concern with product quality/fitment and customer service since everyone can just "fix" it themselves. I don't buy that idea. It is still a product on the market.