585,875 active members*
3,933 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Angry Rs232 Problem

I'M TRYING TO SEND MY PROGS. OUT OF MACH. TO MY COMP.. MY COMP. USES CIMCOM4 SOFTWARE. WHEN I CHANGE THE SETTINGS @ THE MACH. TO MATCH THOSE IN THE SOFTWARE I GET 2 ALARMS ( 416 & 417 )
    I THINK THERE'S A SETTING / PARAMETER I HAVE TO CHANGE FIRST TO ALLOW ME TO CHANGE THESE SETTINGS ( BAUD RATE , DATA BITS , ETC. )
    CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO CHANGE THESE SETTINGS TO WHAT I NEED W/OUT GETTING AN ALARM.
    THANX(chair)

061006-0939 EST USA

j-radkemachine:

Normally I would not expect to see the errors 416 and 417 when sending data from the HAAS to a computer. Parity and framing errors are something that occurs on receiving, not sending. But in software handshake mode there are single characters sent from the receiver back to the sender. In this case the normal sender is a receiver.

In general these two errors will occur at the receiver and would imply incorrect settings between the sender and receiver. With XON/XOFF for handshake single byte characters are sent to indicate XON or XOFF.

A framing error, 417, will occur if baud rate is wrong or the number of bits in a word are wrong. If everything is correctly set a parity error could come from electrical noise during data transmission. If settings are wrong then any number of causes may exist for parity error,416.

If you use hardware handshake, then neither of these two errors should occur when sending data.

You need to provide information on your settings at both the HAAS and computer.

For test purposes and a cable under 30 ft I would suggest testing at:
    7 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, and software handshake (meaning XON/XOFF). With parity off you should not see the 416 error code.

If error 417 occurs, then turn off handshake. Now you should not get errors. Then look at the data received at the computer if it looks somewhat correct, then you can proceed further.

With the above settings and the RS232 cable disconnected you should be able to send data from HAAS to nowhere and have no errors.

Report back.