585,670 active members*
4,334 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Router to milling steel and aluminium
Page 1 of 3 123

Re: Router to milling steel and aluminium

That's a serious machine. Nice work.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi, it certainly is a big 'un.......I see that you have gone to the bridge mill design with moving table etc.

I would have had the base of the bridge columns much longer with larger angles to give resistance to fore and aft rock from the cutter thrust.

The aspect ratio of the column base length to the height is too big, (my opinion entirely), but as the columns do not move, like a gantry type router, they can be made quite massive especially if steel is going to be milled with the spindle hanging down below the bridge like it is.

I can see no advantage in having the bridge set high above the table with long columns when it would be stronger if the table was sunk down into the base framework and the bridge mounted directly on the side rails.

This has been noted in previous designs, so it's not something new.

BTW, these comments would be of more value if the design had been posted at the drawing stage whereas now the die is cast and it remains to see if the steel can be milled without too much vibration.
    Ian.

hello and happy new year everyone. Bartuss1 please keep us up to date. I always enjoy looking at the things you build.

tomorrow I was doing table. Dimension machine as metric area 1000x1000x300. I already have the table plate milled. Tomorrow I'll drill it threaded overlays "T".
    this plate in a picture, table have dimensions 1000x1000x20 mm's
    Ian, this is my 74 machine

Attachment 262870

i don"t speak Polish Bartuss1, but I must say CZESC! Keep up the intesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by thebodger View Post
    i don"t speak Polish Bartuss1, but I must say CZESC! Keep up the intesting stuff.
    i 2nd that, will be watching and learning from another of your great builds Bartuss1.

Nice looking machine, I have wonder how much it weighs.

In any event do post back when completed. Oh by the way what will you be using for a spindle.

I doing spindle from motor 3 phase asynchronic 380V, 2900/min 5,5 kW with taper ISO40

As always, what a fantastic build! Is that an overhead flycutter I could see in one of the pics?

Looking forward to seeing this finished and videos.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

I'm doing this machine only three weeks. Another 5 - 6 weeks to the end. I'll do a lot of foto and a few videos.

now table, his weight is a 0,5 ton's

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f13.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	263154

Very nice work. That thing is a Tornado shelter by itself. One of the few builds that I have seen where the profile rails and trucks are actually loaded anywhere close to the stated ratings.
    I am looking forward to seeing it completed.
    Lee

Hi, just to get an idea of the scale of things, what's the diam and length of the motor in the photos?
    Ian.

body this motro have a length 25cm
    its
    Silnik pi? tarczowych 5,5 kw typu jamnik

Hi, so the motor is a conventional 3 phase 5 kw 3,000 rpm motor..........I see in the last photo that you have removed the motor spindle..........is this so that it can be mounted directly on the spindle shaft itself, making the motor and spindle one entity?

That would make sense having it all in one package and the power draw bar going up the middle.......it would make alignment with motor and spindle a certainty.

Did you have to bore the rotor out to take the spindle tail end diam or was the rotor spindle bore already big enough for that?

Will you have to re-balance the rotor when it's mounted on the spindle or just rely on the spindle/rotor pressfit for concentricity?
    Ian.

for example, the spindle friend

Attachment 264078

I look forward to the shaft taper ISO40 and front cover bearings. I have bearing ZVL 3310

Hi,....I see you are using the front bearings of the motor to be the main spindle bearing, replacing them with twin angular contacts no doubt.

One question, what cutters will you be using to utilise the top speed of 3,000 rpm?

If the speed is reduced via a VFD you lose a lot of torque.

To drill a 25mm hole in steel you need 300 rpm for HSS, double that for carbide, but the torque is very low.

I expect cutting aluminium will OK for that speed range set-up.

Would it not have been better to have a belt drive to give twice the torque, half the speed and handle the higher speed range if needed with a VFD using it at 200%?

No doubt you've done this before, so I'm just asking, I have vested interests in the spindle solution.

I've got a similar project build on the go, but on a much smaller scale, only 1/3 the size aprox to this build.

I blush to think when the build I'm doing only has a table work area of 250mm X 300mm with a height of 130mm under the bridge, quite modest by all accounts, but I hope to cut steel with it eventually, at least that is the design criteria I'm aiming for, so I'll be watching every step of this build to see how the design handles the work load under conditions with steel.
    Ian..

Page 1 of 3 123