585,702 active members*
4,418 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

External cmos battery?

Is there an easy way to use an external battery on an eztrak SX with the 386 board? I see the jumper pins, is this where the terminal can be directly connected and then clip the leaking battery off? We know the cmos settings so if this can be done with the power off!
    I thought I read somewhere about this but might have misunderstood the concept!

Thanx

Probably so, but why take the chance if you know the CMOS settings??? It doesn't take THAT much effort to reset the CMOS values and if you put power to the wrong pins, you could fry something that won't be easy to fix/replace.

The idea, although plausible, seems like complexity in search of a need...

You could always power up the board and very carefully resolder in an battery using a properly insulated iron. That is not quite the best way either but an alternative in the event the battery might be replaceable w/o soldering as some PC batteries were.

We did that for a while, using external lithium CMOS batteries but only if we were familiar with that particular mother board as to know where to plug it in and what jumper to move. We quickly learned that we also had to remove the original battery as it would leak and eat away the deposited wires on the motherboard.
    So instead we purchse the replacement NI-Cad battries and replace them using a solder sucker and a temerature controlled soldering iron.
    Some mother boards had DALLAS REAL TIME CLOCK batteries that looked like ICs.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Found one!

I did a google and came up with an external battery, I moved the jumper and installed the battery, at first nothing, switched polarity and "YES" it asked for settings and it is still working as of two weeks now. Next I'll clip the original off. I'm running v7 of the software and seems to be ok except I get error's when I post a .txt file and try to run, but when I post as .pgm file it runs ok!

OH WELL, still havin fun! :bat:

Quote Originally Posted by machintek View Post
    We did that for a while, using external lithium CMOS batteries but only if we were familiar with that particular mother board as to know where to plug it in and what jumper to move. We quickly learned that we also had to remove the original battery as it would leak and eat away the deposited wires on the motherboard.
    So instead we purchse the replacement NI-Cad battries and replace them using a solder sucker and a temerature controlled soldering iron.
    Some mother boards had DALLAS REAL TIME CLOCK batteries that looked like ICs.

George
    Funny thing popped into my mind when you mentioned the Dallas real time clock 'IC' thingy. I remember going to a lot of pain to obtain one, then pried the lid off the old one to discover that it had an ordinary watch battery soldered in inside the case They only got to sell me the one unit
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)