585,949 active members*
4,130 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Glass scoring cnc wanted.

Hi all,
    What I need is a cnc machine which scores glass. I'll be using it to cut stained glass, which is uneven, so the scoring tool will have to be spring loaded. And ideally, I'd like it to have the option of being able to change tool automatically with one other tip. Size: the cutting bed should ideally be able to handle 1200mm x 850mm sheets.

I'm asking in this forum if there's anything anyone makes specifically for this job, but I'll also be posting in the DIY section in case I have to build it myself.

Any advice is well appreciated.

Re: Glass scoring cnc wanted.

I see nobody's answered yet.

The short version is yes, this is do-able, but you'd need to cobble something yourself. If you use a 'pointy-tip' type of glass scorer, it's a bit easier but even with a traditional wheel type glass cutter it can be done.
    Take a look at "drag knife" cutters to get an idea of hos a glass cutter might work.

To move forward, I suggest looking at the Kronos KRMx02, and instead of a router just some kind of drag-knife system for the glass. Sizing is flexible, so a 50" wide by xxx long machine might go for about $5k buying almost everything pre-made. You'd have to run relatively slowly to prevent the scoring device from jumping on the glass undulations, but still gotta be faster than hand-cutting.
    CNC Noob since 1993

Re: Glass scoring cnc wanted.

You can probably use the 2linc spring-loaded engraving head to do this, just get the diamond tip to use it on glass: Glass engraving and deburring with the spring loaded engraving tool Any CNC machine should work, as long as it has enough X/Y travel for your biggest pieces of glass.
    Andrew Werby
    Website