585,722 active members*
4,369 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Moving a Medium sized mill

I am considering purchasing a used mill on the net, and before I make such a large purchase I need to know how I would move it. As far as mills go, its not huge and it weighs in at 1300 lbs. It looks like I can dissamble the head fairly easily, so perhaps I can move it with manpower, some tools, and some ingenuity. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Here is what it looks like:
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/G9959

You can remove the head very easily at the turntable that rotates the head assembly around a vertical axis; remove two nuts and disconnect the wire to the motor. If you do a search on the site you will find many posts about machine moving; ingenuity is the key ingredient.

Seeing the picture of the machine takes me back a few years; I started my business with one almost identical and it gave fantastic service for many years. I still have it in my home shop because the business graduated up to full size cnc.

I had one of those and it was fairly easy to move once you started to disassemble it.

You can easily remove/separate the motor, the spindle housing and the interconnetion housing that hooks the spindle to the motor mount.

If you look closely, you can actually unbolt the square tower from the rectangular base after you remove the knee.

Yes, it can be disassembled and move in pieces. BTDT.

A simple refrigerator dolly

Thanks guys, I downloaded a copy of the schematics, and it looks like I could perform some dissassembly and carefully load the pieces into a truck.