586,024 active members*
3,759 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Gecko 201 Connection Setup - Newbie.

Smile Gecko 201 Connection Setup - Newbie.

Hi guys, need advice on the connection setup on GECKO 201. I am a first time user here and would appreciate any help.
    I am trying it out with MACH 3 and there seem to be 12 outputs (from 25 parallel pins).
    Q1). Therefore 2 output per axis (X, Y, Z)-- Total of 6 goes into each Gecko Drive (dir & step)?
    Q2). What about +5 connection on GECKO, do you use outside power supply source? (could it be the same one as PC power supply)?
    Q3). What about "current" connection, what do you them for?

Thanks for any advice..appreciate it.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14943

The first document is in dxf format, it can be opened in CAD.

Post #4 is a pdf version of the same file converted via the courtesy of PMinMO.

Ignore the type stepper notation. The drawing states it is for uni-polar steppers. That is incorrect, it is for Bi-Polar steppers. Something I overlooked before up-loading and cannot change. Everything else is correct.

I personally have built six different electronic systems via this drawing, and many others have PM'ed me that they used it to wire their systems without problems.

Good luck on your project.
    Jerry

Cool Ground connection, thanks for help

Thank you Jerry, you are my man...
    A lot of good clarification on the link you sent to me.
    Yet, there are few questions I would like your expertise on:

1. Source of 5V supply that you said can be obtained from anywhere (wallmart, etc...) Question is can you connected to the computer powersupply, it has 5, 12+, 12- Vdc?

2. You stated that
    " On the breakout board CONNECT TERMINALS 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, AND 25 TOGATHER." So in other word, if not connected these pins together, they are isolated ground? From MACH 3 document, i thought coming out from the PC parellel port, these pins are "already" connected together?

3. Again, i am very newbie when comes to "BREAKOUT BOARD", my understanding is that only make the wiring connection easier? So does anyone just ignore the breakout board, and try to connect each wiring directly to the parellel socket pin?

Quote Originally Posted by cjchands View Post

1. Source of 5V supply that you said can be obtained from anywhere (wallmart, etc...) Question is can you connected to the computer powersupply, it has 5, 12+, 12- Vdc?

2. You stated that
    " On the breakout board CONNECT TERMINALS 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, AND 25 TOGATHER." So in other word, if not connected these pins together, they are isolated ground? From MACH 3 document, i thought coming out from the PC parellel port, these pins are "already" connected together?

3. Again, i am very newbie when comes to "BREAKOUT BOARD", my understanding is that only make the wiring connection easier? So does anyone just ignore the breakout board, and try to connect each wiring directly to the parellel socket pin?
    My opinion on the 5 VDC supply is that the CNC electronics should be a stand-alone system in that one should use something like a wall-wart transformer. The problem with using the computer power supply is that some type of modification or special cable has to be constructed to get the +5V computer power to pin 10 on the Geckos. Although I have heard of people going this route, the danger is that if a wiring problem or short circuit occurs, it can possibly destroy the parallel printer port electronics and it's +5 Volt power source. If a system is stand alone, it will work with almost any computer that you can run the Mach software on. Changing computers is a snap. Just load the software and go.

About Pins 18 thru 25:
    These pins are (or should be) internally connected to a common ground point inside the computer parallel port. These pins are normally also connected via the traces on many of the break-out boards. The reason for showing these pins connected is due to the fact that some break-out boards do not have the pins connected togather at a known common source and this can allow ground loop signals to occur. Many qualified electronics personnel cannot find ground loop problems, and someone without experience will almost never find the problems which are intermittant in nature.

Break-out boards are an extension board for the parallel printer port in its most basic function with screw terminals. However, BO boards have been taken to a higher level due to the fact that some are available with opto-couplers, some with driver IC's, some with both, and some with LED's to indicate outputs and inputs, they are also available with other options. Some people make a custom cable by-passing the break-out board, and some blow up their computer in the process. The questions one should ask himself is "What are my electronics skills in tracing wiring and soldering", and "How brave do I feel"?

Hope I have given some information that is useful.
    Jerry

Cool Fuse on Breakout board?

Thanks again Jerry.
    Your clarification is appreciated it.
    Just one thing, could 5V blow the computer?
    And what kind of BO board are you suggested? The ones that I see is just plain external board, can't figure out how would it protected if something goes wrong.
    Appreciate it.

Inside a computer, almost all functions are based on 5 volts. So, as a result of this, any connection which may cause a problem with the 5 volt logic can have very serious consequences internal to the computer enclosure.

Although computers on the one hand are dependable and can operate for years without any outside interference, they are very delicate machines where their operating voltages are concerned. Sometimes what seems to be a very minor mishap to the user can be a total disaster to the digital logic circuits; So, 5 volt mishaps can totally destroy a computer.

Here is a link to one of the best breakout boards offered for sale. The price is less than $30.00. It is buffered (In other words, the internal computer port is isolated) from anything attached to the breakout board terminals.

http://www.cnc4pc.com/Bidirectional_Breakout_Board.htm

Jerry