584,833 active members*
5,612 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > PlasmaCam > Plamacam Design Help Need to bring images into DesignEdge

Plamacam Design Help Need to bring images into DesignEdge

I am a senior in high school and my school has a plasmacam. I have been playing around with it lately and I have had no trouble with the cutting. I have design some things on the program and cut them out. However I havent been able to cut out an image found online. I know this is supposed to be a big selling point of this system is how easy it is to cut out a picture. For some reason I havent figured it out yet.

Heres what I have been trying

I try to find a basic black and white picture like a simple shilouette of a clip art airplane with an all white background. I save and open it in Paint and then I resave it as a Bitmap (16 color I believe). I then go to a blank plasmacam drawing, click import and then select the BMP version of the airplane. This is where I get confused. I leave all of the settings alone, I choose my background color and when I go to put it on the drawing it shows up as a bunch of little circles that dont resemble anything close to the picture. Has anyone had this problem? What do I need to adjust? I love the Plasmacam but I have just been having a hard time with the images!

Re: Plamacam Design Help Need to bring images into DesignEdge

Hi Goodhue!

Working with images depends on several different factors. It sounds like you may be working with plasmacam's older version of the software and you may need to contact them to upgrade it. The newer software and more advanced software from plasmacam is called Designedge. You can get the DesignEDGE for an older plasmacam pretty easily and from what I know and have seen, the designedge saves you a ton of time, especially when working with images.

With designedge you can import JPEG images directly (with NO need to convert them into a BMP with MS paint first!!!!). You can set up the Designedge to basically keep any sort of editing time to an absolute bare minimum! Some of the work that use to take hours to do other programs and is completely done and ready to cut in fraction of the time (even minutes most of the time)....I save a ton of time compared to pretty much any other CNC plasma based software that I have used.

You can even trace directly over the imported picture on the screen, And pretty easily turn this:

Attachment 263442

Into this:

Attachment 263438

There is no doubt that the differences between the Designedge software and the older software, is immense. The designedge is also loaded with a ton of other features that make life easier, for example there over 500 hundreds fonts already loaded into the program that are designed for metal cutting. You can automatically stencil text too (so letters like "O" ect do not fall out). You can also do things like combine text to different objects, and even fit text to different paths (ie and arc) part with a click of a mouse, instead of doing this work manually. Another feature that I enjoy really nice shape and parts library (with things like parts already per-loaded in them like flanges, gears, sprockets, saw blades, fan blades, and much more that I am not mentioning).

One of my favorite features, out of many that are included with Designedge, that is an absolute time saver is the ability to detect and fix over-lapping intersections when converting to a cut path (this feature alone can save you hours on a complicated art scene!). There are literally hundreds of features in designEDGE compared to the previous versions that not only save me money....but time (which is far more valuable to me personally). You couldn't pay me to go back to using any other software for CNC plasma cutting!

If your not sure which version of the software you have, call plasmacam and they can tell you which one your machine came with. Let me know if I can help.

Goodluck Brother and let me know if I can help!

JAG:cheers:

The image you import is probably way too small for DesignEdge to make any sense of it.

Make sure you RESIZE the image in Paint before you save it as a bitmap. Also, it should be saved as a two-color (black and white) image, since a plasma cutter does not recognize grayscale images as cut paths.

Try resizing your airplane to 24" height x (whatever) width, and then import it as a SOLID image, not an outline.

I wouldn't worry about image size or scaling in MS paint (you can avoid MS paint almost entirely, if needed)... because you can actually do this more effectively in plasmacam's designedge (very easily) no mater the size of the original image. designedge will convert anything ..even in grayscale..color.....w/defected pixels ect.. I have discovered that there is a way to convert anything virtually flawlessly with in designedge (you do have to do correctly though).

Through a combination of curiosity and OCD...and of course plamscam's video manual.... I am realizing how powerful plasmacam's designedge is for CNC plasma cutting.....there are some pretty awesome things that I continue to come across with this program that are ...absolutely mind blowing. I rarely use any of the other fancy design programs that I own for metal cutting anymore...while I wouldn't call MS Paint a fancy program, I guarantee you that you will never need to use it again for anything (related to metal cutting, anyways). Designedge is pretty sweet in that respect, it will covers all of the bases in one, very easy to use interface that also controls your machine.

Check this out: Simply click this box when importing in an image (highlighted) & ... In the box highlighted below you can also specify the size of the image that being imported as well.

Attachment 269608

You can trace directly over the imported image while it is on the screen!!!!

Attachment 269610

By using the pixel and line smoothing parameters on the import screen...the image has never been easier for me to convert with virtually no clean up before it ready to be cut out. I actually did not use the tracing capability at all on this one because DesignEDGE converted my image rather flawlessly.

Attachment 269612

Within under a minute!! I have an image that is ready to cut out! Something like this would have take literally hours, possibly days on any other CNC software that I have used!!!! I will never use anything other that this program. Plasmacam's Designedge It is absolutely amazing!

I hope this helps!

JAG

Quote Originally Posted by plasmaMac View Post
    I wouldn't worry about image size or scaling in MS paint (you can avoid MS paint almost entirely, if needed)... because you can actually do this more effectively in plasmacam's designedge (very easily) no mater the size of the original image. designedge will convert anything ..even in grayscale..color.....w/defected pixels ect.. I have discovered that there is a way to convert anything virtually flawlessly with in designedge (you do have to do correctly though).

Through a combination of curiosity and OCD...and of course plamscam's video manual.... I am realizing how powerful plasmacam's designedge is for CNC plasma cutting.....there are some pretty awesome things that I continue to come across with this program that are ...absolutely mind blowing. I rarely use any of the other fancy design programs that I own for metal cutting anymore...while I wouldn't call MS Paint a fancy program, I guarantee you that you will never need to use it again for anything (related to metal cutting, anyways). Designedge is pretty sweet in that respect, it will covers all of the bases in one, very easy to use interface that also controls your machine.

Check this out: Simply click this box when importing in an image (highlighted) & ... In the box highlighted below you can also specify the size of the image that being imported as well.

Attachment 269608

You can trace directly over the imported image while it is on the screen!!!!

Attachment 269610

By using the pixel and line smoothing parameters on the import screen...the image has never been easier for me to convert with virtually no clean up before it ready to be cut out. I actually did not use the tracing capability at all on this one because DesignEDGE converted my image rather flawlessly.

Attachment 269612

Within under a minute!! I have an image that is ready to cut out! Something like this would have take literally hours, possibly days on any other CNC software that I have used!!!! I will never use anything other that this program. Plasmacam's Designedge It is absolutely amazing!

I hope this helps!

JAG
    That is not entirely true, as you have several "islands" that will fall out if it is cut as shown. The inner pieces of circles must be connected somehow if they are to be a part of the final cut path. If you cut out a circle and then cut a circle out of that, both pieces will fall out.

Joe, my man..you are correct in one sense but totally wrong in another! Remember, your only limitation is your imagination!

While it is not my intention to spread ignorance, i will acknowledged that in one outcome you would be correct. There is more than one outcome (infinite potential and possibilities) to this project...all of which are actually pretty simple and right under your nose. While, I try to look at everything from as many different angles as I can, others sometimes do not. You may be looking at something from one point of view or one possibility, while I am may be looking at a work of art from an entirely different set of possibilities.

Let me finish my master project today, which is a prototype firearm accessory and as soon as can, I will elaborate.

JAG:rainfro:

Pretty sweet for a few minutes of work:

Attachment 270496

Attachment 270494

JAG

HI Joe,

I love how you did the Breaking bad and the Native head, I have a few questions for you, I am currently trying to make a square fire pit, wit hdiffernet scenes on each side but my problem is that the images I have found all have what the previous poster called islands and will fall out when I cut them.
    If it is not too much to ask can you please explain to me how you managed to cut the Native head without the circles near the earring falling out, is there a way of editing the image?

I have attached pictures of what I am trying todo, if you have any free time to point me in the right direction I would really appriciate it.

Thank you

Carlos G

Hi Carlos,

One thing is critical: having Plasmacams more Advanced Design Software. You can convert jpeg images pretty darn flawlessly and even trace directly over any imported image on the screen with plasmacam's designedge Things like detecting over lapping intersections and fixing can be fixed automatically when you convert to a cut path, the are hundreds of other features in plasmacam's more advanced stuff ton that will most will most certainly make life a lot easier and make the your design work a lot more efficient. If you have the older or basic version of the software, I would highly consider looking into the newer or more advanced one, because it will make really big difference in how much time you'll need to spend on the projects that you mentioned.

Let me know what you are working with right now and I will do my absolute best to advise accordingly.

Good Luck,

JAG

Hi JAG!

I am new to this software and I am having some troubles uploading pictures and getting them to work properly, I was wondering if you would be willing to help,
    I am having issues with the Pixel Size of Defects to Fix and the Edge rounding settings.
    I hope you can help

thanks!

Hi Daniel!

Once you mess around with it for about 30 minutes, you'll get the hang of it in no time. Plasmacam's software does a pretty darn good job with image conversion, and you'll get flawless results if done correctly.

The way I learned to do this was pretty simple. When you first import in an Image, there is a box that you should check that says "show image on the screen". Make sure to select this. The filter parameters are pretty easy to understand once you see them in action. It is important to note that If you set all the filter values to ZERO, the software will convert the image into a line drawing down to the exact jaggedness of the pixel in the JPEG. I would start with one JPEG and import it in 3 times with different filter perimeters on each. Once you do this a few times, you start to see a correlation. Once you practice like this a few times, you have a really good idea of the filter values that will be needed on any given image.

Every image is a bit different when it comes to this,but the majority of time the values that you'll use are pretty close to each other numerically.

Also, when you import a JPEG, on the import screen you'll notice a button that says something like "save as bitmap". Go ahead and do this and re-import it. This alone can help big time in the conversion process.

But, even in the worst possible scenario, you can also trace directly over an imported image on the screen. Even though this can take a few more minutes rather than having the program do it, it really isn't that bad! You can do a lot of this stuff by using the spline feature and then linking the line segments when your are done. This method also produces really terrific results.

Definitely play around with one image and import it in several times using different filter values and and comparing it to the image on the screen. Also, if needed you can change the color of the line segments in your program settings (for example, I changed mine to red instead of white). This can make it easier on the eyes.

Good Luck!

JAG

That helped me to get started and understand it a little better!
    Is there a way to curve text in the software or do you have to do it in a different program?!

thanks

The DesignEdge software is very capable for text manipulation. Curving text is easy if you have the correct software upgrades. If you have "FIT TO PATH" you can curve text easily.

Mr. Jones do you know if you can curve text on the older version of the software?

No. You either need DesignEdge, OR use a program like Google SketchUp to create the files and then import them into 3.11 for cutting

Vectric V-Carve PRO is fantastic for manipulating vector images.