584,814 active members*
5,235 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Swiss Machining Nckel

Hi Yall,

I'm machining a bar of .375 nickel 200. There's a .250 hole drilled through and a tapered turn diameter, pretty simple part geometry. This is on a Citizen M20 Type I.

Any suggestions for SFM and feedrates for a HSS drill and carbide turning and cutoff inserts. Unfortunately I kind of have to work with what I have on tooling. Any recommendations for the future though if I should go with something else is definitely appreciated!

Thanks!!

Re: Swiss Machining Nckel

I've switched from drilling this hole, which would not cut to size - always over, to boring it. Much better luck, but the nickel is just destroying the tools. Only get around 50 pieces before having to change things out.

Any suggested tooling makers or carbide grades / coating at all for machining nickel 200? Turning, drilling, boring etc...

really, any carbide is going to be better than hss. a high temp coating like altin our even TiN will help. going slow and chewing tools up us just what nickel does. most manufacturers have drills with geometry specifically for nickel and other hrsa's so that might be a good start. my guess is that with the right drill you could hit size and not bore it unless it's a tight tolerance. nickel sucks and carbide tools are well worth the headache and downtime in the long run.
    CNC Product Manager / Training Consultant

really, any carbide is going to be better than hss. a high temp coating like altin our even TiN will help. going slow and chewing tools up us just what nickel does. most manufacturers have drills with geometry specifically for nickel and other hrsa's so that might be a good start. my guess is that with the right drill you could hit size and not bore it unless it's a tight tolerance. nickel sucks and carbide tools are well worth the headache and downtime in the long run.
    CNC Product Manager / Training Consultant

You need to use TIN coated HSS drills, 135 point, if you are having hole size problems, I agree with boring, but if you want to save some money on tooling you can drill a smaller pilot hole and follow with the proper size finish drill. You'll need a good TIN coated carbide cut off and front turn to get the job done. Nickle 200 is really soft and gummy, tends to roll over more than cut. HSS tools run around 50 SFM and carbide you can go 100-125 SFM. Try .001-.002 fpr on the tools, keep the c.o. around .0003. You have to try different feeds and see what works best.

Thank you for the replys, trying some different things out today per your suggestions.