584,802 active members*
4,893 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Suggestions on a new laptop
Page 1 of 2 12

Suggestions on a new laptop

Point me to a great laptop.It's main use will be CAD/CAM and a little limited surfing.I will not be using it for games.Windows 7 or 8.1 or ??????
    Trying to stay under $1500 if possible.
    I do say I have been happy with my trouble free HP laptop for 6 years,,,it just a little under powered for today's CAD/CAM

Really hoping Burr and mmoe see this..You guys know what I need

Re: Suggestions on a new laptop

WOW,right on budget !!!! Thanks Paul
    Keep them coming folks,,,I get a fat paycheck next week.Time to buy.

I use this. I upgraded to 32gb ram. Little bit pricier than the Asus
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-80gb-solid-state-drive-silver/8428152.p?id=1219333207619&skuId=8428152&pid=12193 33207619&pcatId=abcat0502000

I wont be much help for laptop because i dont use or like them. I would steer you away, unless you REALLY need mobility, like cncadmin, whos life revolves around "online"....

A suggestion might be to really research a refurbished market, like dell, if you are budgeting.

I’m currently using the Lenovo ThinkPad W530 i7 8GB ram with BobCad and ViaCad Pro v9. I haven’t had any problems with BobCad toolpath generations or simulations. No problems in ViaCad either. The only thing I don’t like with the W530 is the lack of a number pad. It was easy enough to add a USB one. The newer ThinkPad W540 does come with a number pad. The ThinkPad is a pretty rugged machine. They start out around the $1200.00 range.
    Oops! I made my I.D. bigger than my O.D. ...again.

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    I wont be much help for laptop because i dont use or like them. I would steer you away, unless you REALLY need mobility, like cncadmin, whos life revolves around "online"....

A suggestion might be to really research a refurbished market, like dell, if you are budgeting.

Well,I kinda of really need mobility.I like to program at home and shop both.To buy 2 different computers (1 for home,one for work) is not an option.
    My current computer Pukes on anything 1/2 way complicated,so it is in it's golden years and needs to be put to pasture.
    I can go a little higher price wise if needed,,but a lap top does seem like it would suit me best.
    I really like to find one with the least amount of garbage loaded on it.
    So are you hinting you like dell ?

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Well,I kinda of really need mobility.I like to program at home and shop both.To buy 2 different computers (1 for home,one for work) is not an option.
    My current computer Pukes on anything 1/2 way complicated,so it is in it's golden years and needs to be put to pasture.
    I can go a little higher price wise if needed,,but a lap top does seem like it would suit me best.
    ?
    I bet you could get a second seat of bc for less than a laptop? Buying a desktop would get you way more power for less...

My first laptop was an IBM thinkpad.. They were really good back when IBM was focusing on them.. I don't know about the newer Lenovo branded versions.. Leaky just said his is good so probably still a nice one...

I really like to find one with the least amount of garbage loaded on it.
    So are you hinting you like dell
    Well, yes, but it would have to be the precision range, so $3500.00??? Hardly your budget, but looking at the re-certified ones may fall in that budget....

"all the garbage off"? Just re-install the OS only right away... Without using the "factory restore" stuff....

OK,let's suppose the question is "what would be some that would be great for BoB in a desktop version ? " Say $2000 limit

And Windows 7 or 8.1 ?

OK,let's suppose the question is "what would be some that would be great for BoB in a desktop version ? " Say $2000 limit
    So what I was talking about is something like this. You buy one of these:

High Performance PCs - Dell Precision T7400 - Computer Refurb

Then you pick up something like this:

Amazon.com: PNY Quadro FX5600 1.5 GB GDDR3 PCI-E Video Card VCQFX5600-PCIE-PB: Electronics

And you essentially have what was a $10,000.00 workstation just a few years ago, for a little under $1200.00... A very stable and powerful computer. Dual xeons, a lot of ram, and a pro graphics card which runs a pro level driver....

With that said, you have to get someone to help you choose and make the right purchases. Your budget, then you must call the re-sellers to be sure that the card you chose runs on the particular hardware etc.... You don't necessarily want what I linked too, it's just the jist.

And Windows 7 or 8.1 ?
    That leads into many areas and is answered by you answering or deciding on particulars...Like with the dell precisions I linked to above, you wouldn't want to run windows 8...

Windows 8 if you are buying a computer that was designed on it... But, the type of card you put in it decides too. (That's basically what you are paying companies like dell for. the r&d on the component design.. The precisions are designed that way. I've never owned one of the others)

So your card choice wants to include a "native NVidia" type card.. The cards can be "3rd party manipulated" to a "fault"... You don't want to load a particular model/card type, that is proprietary to "only the vendor"... So you can find a "dell NVidia" card with a model label that NVidia doesn't even list.. So your only drivers ever come from dell support... I load my drivers for my pro card from "NVIDIA", not DELL".... I can stay current, where as dell hasn't done anything with "it's driver for my NVidia card" in years.....

The choice has many branches.. Find someone local who can help you.... (Not the kid who throws hardware together off newegg)........

So, you find a guy who can help, then you connect with a vendor like this:

vendor 1

vendor 2

You can call them and ask, and decide with help regarding the hardware.... They most likely will have the video cards and etc.. etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    So, you find a guy who can help.

OK,
    I don't have a "GUY"

OK,
    I don't have a "GUY"
    calling one of those places i just linked to can develop "a guy".....

Looking at the precisions is a good base. Adding the proper card is a decision. (I suggest nvidia).... going with a slightly older high end card gets you into the pro group.

Jr, definitely buy a Dell Precision. I would suggest a laptop using docking stations and peripherals. You can have a setup at home and the office and all you have to do is click the laptop into the docking port. Everything else is plugged into the docking station so you have a large monitor, keyboard, speakers, mouse, 3D mouse all feeding thru the docking station.

I have a slightly older M6600 17" unit but when I do it over again I'm going with the 15.3" model instead. These units support up to 4 monitors in various layouts. I've attached a link to a very good deal on ebay. For about $1500 you can have 2 monitors. 2 keyboards, 2 docking stations, 1- 3D mouse, and 1 regular mouse and a pretty bad ass laptop.

Dell Precision M4800 i7 4800MQ 8GB 1TB HD 9C Backlit 1080p WIN8 Pro 3YR NBD Wty | eBay

The alienware is owned by Dell. I wouldn't discount a laptop as I use an XPS720 Dell desktop in the shop and it's a beast but I find I use the laptop mainly since I got it. I have two seats of cad and cam but I think a laptop is the way to go.

Alot of people buy laptops and then just use them as desktops. Their not always traveling or working in strange places.

A big downfall is "most" of the hardware is very OEM. So although a precision laptop has an nvidia card, the drivers will only come from dell (there can be minimal exceptions)....

I have often thought of getting a lap top, but then I think as much as I like programing with bobcad and trying to win (I would probably end up taking it to the boat with me) so for me a desk top makes more sense.

I would probably end up taking it to the boat with me

And use it as an anchor ?

I would probably end up taking it to the boat with me

And use it as an anchor ?
    If I didn't pay some attention to Little Miss Cupecake and the grand kids that's what it might become.

The Alienware X51 is a nice desktop with plenty of power and small footprint however I will stick with the M17X laptop. Just to note (they are not light lol). We have a Dell Precision laptop purchased to run SolidWorks and that is also quite heavy, However I prefer the Alienware as it has true dual NVidia graphics cards with auto update for drivers etc

The XPS Dell is definitely not mobile but the X51 is a mobile desktop in is size to a point.

Alienware Deals

Page 1 of 2 12