585,722 active members*
4,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

High Speed Scribing

This is my first post so please go easy on me :cheers:

I want to use our Multicam router to mark stud placements on the backs of aluminum letters.

In the past, I would gently touch the material with my endmill to leave a swirl to mark the stud placement but unfortunately, my new company cannot do that. We have an 8' x 20' routing table but because the vaccuum is poor, we must use peg boad as a soil board and cannot level the table (also, there is no debris removal as well). Without the precision of a level table, lightly touching the material is not an option.

I was thinking of two options: Using an engraving tool or using a scribe tool (some kind of spring-loaded punch).

Using the engraving tool may work through the aluminum on the high table spots without much damage or mess. The scribe tool would work like a sharpie but the marks would last, however I am concerned with the horrizontal torque breaking the tool.

Any experiences with marking aluminum or techniques to share? I would like some solid ideas before purchasing the parts.

Thanks!!

Re: High Speed Scribing

Go to Dorian Tool International they have a CNC marker that installs in the spindle. you have a mounting bracket on bottom to hold different types of metal stencils or TYPE, it is spring loaded and you lower it to the part and then a little lower the spring loaded trigger sets off and imprints the form on the part.

Good Luck
    The Farmer

Re: High Speed Scribing

Got a few questions for you?

1. Why can't the router be leveled. Simply doing this would allow you to use a method you are able to easily do

2. How large is your vacuum? 20 ft is a lot, but using peg board is allowing a large amount of vacuum lost.