585,712 active members*
4,139 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Wiring Schematic for proLIGHT 2000 CNC BenchTop Mill
Page 1 of 2 12

Cool Wiring Schematic for proLIGHT 2000 CNC BenchTop Mill

I'm trying to repair this 14 year old machine that's had very little usage. We have an Electrical Eng'r. here that said he would probably be able to get it working if he had the schematics for the PC Board & the unit wiring. We had some bad electrical connections in some of the wiring. We also had a hard wired fuse on the PC board blo and we can't replace it without knowing its value.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    David

This help?

If there's something you need the value off of let me know and i'll check it.

Were you able to get a schematic for the ProLight 2000 controller?

I just bought one of these and would also like to get a schematic diagram.

Thanks.

I also need help in obtaining a wiring schematic for a prolight 2000.

Would it be smart for me to scrap and replace the controller and drivers and use the existing servo motors or replace them also. Should I switch to steppers. I don't know how to save the variable spindle speed circuit. Maybe it is better to set a fixed spindle speed. I don't know how to match the existing motors to a new controller and drivers.

Like most people I don't want to buy a whole lot of parts that I don't need. I am hoping I can learn from those who have this model and can guide me on making this unit run proper. I don't have any of the software what came with this unit originality. I have BobCad/Cam 21

Thanks,
    Paul

Buy a hobby cnc controller kit and never look back. A gecko G540 would work just fine. My light machines had steppers not servos. Do you have the programs and ISA card to operate it even after you fix the drivers? Modern electronics will improve it all the way around. Cheaper than repairing any of it.

David, jskene, Paul - Do you have any specific questions related to board schematics? I may be able to assist you there.

PLM2000 came with servo motors and an encoder, closed loop system. A 2000 uses an Animatics servo drive located in the backpack of the machine, grey box.

PLM1000 came with stepper motors, no encoder and an open loop system. A 1000 uses a stand alone black control box to drive the motors!

I had the PLM 1000 then. I wish I would have found you prior to rebuilding mine! I did learn a little since then.

Wiring schmatic for a Prolight 2000 cnc Benchtop Mill

Hi Intelitek,

I am trying to obtain the wiring schematic for a Prolight 2000, which is a servo motor unit. It is being suggested that I retrofit this machine to a stepper motor system. because of cost. I have done Internet search and can't find the schematic for this machine.

If I convert this machine, I am thinking I need to try and use the variable speed spindle and am not sure if it would be ok to just fix the spindle speed and not concern myself with trying to adapt part of the present electronics to have a variable speed spindle.

Maybe there is an inexpensive conversion program that would let me run this machine on a Microsoft XP (Intel 4P) system using my BobCad/Cam version 21 program which might be a cheaper route to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul's View Post
    Hi Intelitek,

I am trying to obtain the wiring schematic for a Prolight 2000, which is a servo motor unit. It is being suggested that I retrofit this machine to a stepper motor system. because of cost. I have done Internet search and can't find the schematic for this machine.
    You will not find a complete schematic out on the internet, you may find a piece or two, but the schematic is considered IP so has never been released I'm sure.

I don't know a lot about conversion options, which is why I am here personally, but that would be my suggestion as well. I know that the PLM2000 utilizes an Animatics drive for those servo motors and if that is not operational, a retrofit is the only option.

Inexpensive is also relative - For some $1500 qualifies, for others $15k can be inexpensive!

Modernizing an existing cnc machine shouldnt be more than about 750 bucks even if you buy everything built. Then you would be able to run your BC with Mach 3. Spindle speed should not be as relevant due to the machine being a mill. Set the speed due to cutter size and leave the computer out of it. Is your spindle motor AC or DC? Does your machine have thrust bearings on the screws or just a washer or bushing?

Animatic servo controller tweaking on Prolight 2000

Has anyone tweaked the servo tuning adjustments in the Animatic Servo controller in The Prolight 2000?
    All of a sudden the Z axis is loosing position and stopping on rapid negative motions. I suspect the Z axis gain/damping pots need to be tweaked.
    I've been running this Prolight 2000 w/ATC regularly for years. It's alittle quirky but generally works well Up untill this week!

Smile retro Prolight 1000 or 2000

I have these machines and am using all the original equipment controllers, etc. but I would really like to retro at least one of them to Mach 3. Have any of you successfullly done this? My machines work well now, but I would really like to move beyond DOS and Windows 98 (the key to how well these work is using everything in the same vintage as they were designed in).... I do want the limit switches to work....

Ideas? Success stories?

Thanks!

Re: Wiring Schematic for proLIGHT 2000 CNC BenchTop Mill

I know this is an old thread, but I have a copy of the wiring diagram for a Prolight 2000 CNC Mill. Ill post when I get it scanned.

Thanks. I could use this, as my mill is acting up. I suspect a bad ground somewhere.

Now when a routine ends, holding current is lost to the Z axis servo, causing the milling head to drift downward. This happens intermittently, and I have been unable find the cause.

I acquired my PLM 200 not running, Finally found a bad encoder. Everything started to work then something tripped and my y-axis ran away. Havent been able to get the controller to talk to the PC. I'm about ready to swap out controls and run mach 3. Just need to figure out exactly what I need to acquire to make it happen.

Do you plan to use the stock servos or replace them? It would be nice if they can be used with Mach 4.

I just tried to fire up my Prolight 2000 for the first time in a couple of years and get the error message "Error Initializing Control! Make sure power is on and machine is connected before you retry." The power was on and the machine was connected. I opened the back and found a fault light on. Did you ever upload the wiring diagram?

Regards

Not yet, Slacking on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
    Not yet, Slacking on my part.
    Attachment 262658
    Attachment 262660
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4909.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	262662
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4910.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	262664

Were the attachments higher resolution? The bottom two are hard to read.

Page 1 of 2 12