585,973 active members*
4,213 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Standard or Pro

I worked for Motionmaster for about 5 years building CNC routers. I am in IT now but am very interested in building a machine via a kit from CNC Router Parts for fun and to make money on the side. I am pretty sure I'm just going to get one of their "hardware only" kits and buy the steel plates and extrusion locally. I also plan on buying at least the "4-Axis Plug and Play Nema 23 System" from them.

The thing I am questioning right now is whether I should go with the Standard or the Pro. I don't know what I'll be making but I do know the Pro version looks like it would be more accurate in that it travels along the gear rack and rails opposed to pieces of steel I would be sourcing locally, however I could be wrong. Additionally the Z axis being a lead screw looks like it would be more accurate.

If anyone could help me determine the difference I would really appreciate it. I am thinking of building a 4'x8' machine and would like the ability to cut most everything.

Re: Standard or Pro

It may help to look at the specs side by side. the pro is a little faster, a little larger, more expensive, and possibly more rigid.
    I have a standard and I have been happy with it, and haven't really had any quality issues to figure out, it all just worked.
    I think the thing that makes the biggest difference is how straight the steel you get is, and how much time you put into aligning everything.

It would be nice to know a deflection measurement between the two to see any differences
    Take your time putting it together, make sure the pulley set screws are tight and lock-tited in, and you should be happy with either.

Pro
    Work Area: X: 51.5" Y: 51.5" Z: 8"
    Footprint: 62" (1575mm) x 65" (1650mm)
    Nema 23 version: Rapids up to 750 IPM+, cutting feedrates 250 IPM+*
    Nema 34 version: Rapids up to 1200 IPM+, cutting feedrates 500 IPM+*
    Repeatability to +/-0.001" or better, accuracy to +/-0.005" or better

Standard
    X travel 49.75 inches
    Y (gantry) travel 50.25 inches
    Z (vertical) travel 6.5 inches (minus spoil board thickness)
    Dual drive rack and pinion for X
    Rack and pinion drive for Y
    5 start ACME drive for Z
    Repeatability to +/-0.002" or better, accuracy to +/-0.005" or better
    Nema 23 version: Rapids up to 600 IPM+, cutting feedrates 200 IPM+*
    Nema 34 version: Rapids up to 1000 IPM+, cutting feedrates 400 IPM+*

Thank you very much for the response. I'll be sure to use the Loctite on the set screws.

I to enjoy my standard. The pro looks like it might be a bit more rigid because of the v-rollers instead of skate bearings. But it has worked great for me, including machining aluminum.

I thought I recall that Ahren mentioned that the standard is actually a little more rigid? I could be wrong, though.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi all,

Both the standard and PRO systems are very capable machines. In terms of machine stiffness, the PRO system has a bit of an edge over the standard system -- functionally you can cut faster, despite the fact that the PRO has slightly more gantry clearance (~8" instead of 6.5" on the standard). The PRO also has a ballscrew z axis that can move substantially larger spindles and routers reliably. In terms of assembly and maintenance, the PRO is a bit more straightforward to set up due to the V-roller system, as opposed to the independent adjustment of radial bearings required on the standard, and also has features on the rack and pinion drives for easier adjustment of belt tension and engagement with the racks. The PRO system is also more easily expanded to a larger machine in the future, which is an important feature for some people.

We've sold hundreds of both types of kits, and have helped customers be successful with both systems in various different settings and materials. Feel free to contact us if you'd like to discuss in more detail.

Best regards,

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts

Is there a video anywhere of a pro4896 moving at 1200 IPM?
    I'd just like to see a video of one of them flying. I found one of it moving 600 and that was pretty impressive.

Hi Bill,

Below is a video of one of our PRO4896 machines moving around at 1200 IPM. We don't recommend cutting at this speed, and I'd certainly recommend default settings slower than this until you get used to the machine (in case a feedrate is programmed erroneously, etc.), but it's very capable of these speeds and higher with our Nema 34 electronics package:

CNC Router Parts - PRO4896 1200 IPM Rapids - YouTube

Best regards,

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts

that is really fast.
    the cable track seems to work great too.

just take your time setting it up etc and you should be happy. I had some "issues" at first but I think much of that had to do with my inexperience in building machines and some bowed steel - (which by the way over time and with a little shimming was fixed). I have a pro with Nema 34. I love it. great machine and good guys / good company behind it.

I built a DIY machine using the standard parts. It's been a good machine that has made several thousand parts for me over the past two years. Somewhere around 6 to 7k wood parts. So to say I appreciate it would be an understatement. In that time only one bearing has gone out and I've had to change the lead nuts about 3 times. And I've ran it hard for a DIY machine with .5 depth of cut runs at 115ipm with .5 bit and smaller. I'm now completing a 6x10.5ft machine using the pro kit. The difference is huge. You may be able to build a stiffer gantry and risers for the standard kit but you will not beat the V bearings on the rail vs. the standard carriage. It's smooth as silk and no play. I'd have to say pro all the way. The standard parts are great but they can't touch the pro ones. You will get play in the carriages with the standard kit before the pro so no matter how stiff you make the gantry, the pro will beat it as soon as the bit hits the stock.

(when I say play in the carriages I'm talking about tolerances measured at the spindle using a dial indicator)