584,837 active members*
4,934 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Bridgeport - advice needed. Strange stand.

Hi guys!

I decided to go Bridgeport for a hobby use in my homeshop. I just love the way it looks like and read many good things about this mill. I found one that interests me much but I'm little confused: it is standing on a strange stand - much wider/bigger than other Bridgeports I've seen...
    Would you be so kind and tell me what do you guys see in the photos below? I'm interested in all opinins on this particular mill (and on Bridgeports in general), it's arrangement, accessories. It's pros and cons. I don't have much choice - this is the only Bridgeport I found in 2 000km circle around my house...
    How much do you think is it worth?

Thanks for all advice!

Re: Bridgeport - advice needed. Strange stand.

it has a coolant tray, plastic no doubt

Yes, some Bridgeports and Bridgeport knock-offs have a hollow base that serves as a coolant reservoir. Is there a screen covering a hole in the top of the base? In general this Bridgeport looks like a fully fitted one with power table feeds in both axis and a power knee as well. The DRO (Digital Read Out) is a nice addition as well. The variable speed head is nice too although they are a little more complicated to service than the old belt drive models. If you are looking for a manual vertical milling machine this one LOOKS good to me. Whether or not all these options are working properly is impossible to say just by pictures. As far as the value goes so much depends on the condition of the ways and the screws and the functionality of the accessories that I hesitate to put a value on it but I would say if all is in working order it could be worth something between $7,500 and $10,000 US.
    Moldmaker extraordinaire running many machines at B&D Machine, Inc. Tolland, CT.

Wow that must be some hobby you want to use it for.....break the bank, spend the kids inheritance you may not get a second chance.....they're machines to dream for.....pity it's after Christmas, your wife could have spoiled you something rotten and had you round her little finger forever........she might even have regretted it as Bridgeport widows are common....LOL.

BTW, make sure it's R8 taper and not Morse 3 or you'll find tooling difficult to source......just can't beat R8 for cutter changes.
    Ian.

Thank you guys for help.
    Regarding Morse 3 tooling it will not be a problem at all as I live in Poland and most of my tools are Morse tappered. But I WILL have a problem with R8 taper tools. Import from USA, UK or so is the only solution for me so it is gonna be expensive. I guess there is some sort R8-MT3 conversion. R8-ER32 shank would also be very handy.

chrisgraf2: how did you figure out there is power knee on this mill?

bogus105

What you are seeing is a chip/coolant tray, there use was quite common, this is removeable, & the machine is just the same under that chip tray,like what you have been seeing, as for price look on Ebay this will give you an idea for price, if in good shape there cost can be quite high, it will be R8, this was the standard for Bridgeport's Plus they used a 30 taper is very common also, but that one is a R8
    Mactec54

Hi Mactec......Bridgeport also made it with 3 Morse.....in the late 70's I worked for a firm in UK and our Bridge' had a 3 Morse spindle.

it was the very pain as some of the guys insisted on tightening the drawbar with a spanner and on one occasion the tool was in so tight the spindle had to be dismantled to remove it.

After that we removed the nut from the top of the drawbar (yes, it had a nut ) and replaced it with a knurled knob.....never had trouble after that except from the guys with soft hands....LOL.

All the Bridgeports in the last firm I worked at in OZ before retirement had R8......I bought one when they down sized the tool room.....cost me $2,800 for a belt driven/step pulley model with a vice and a set of collets.
    Ian.

The first two things you need to do with it is. Move the the switch box up on the right side of the head. Get rid of that X feed and get a new one. When you put the new one in flip the X screw so it takes off the stress in the feed bearings. With its age of the old one it will be soon to quit.

Get a Z power feed and a better xyz digital you can get at, index3a.

Trying to up load a picture but it keeps coming up sideways. ???

SeabeeGizmo - could you explain me what is wrong with x axis power feed mounted on that mill and X screw? I guess switch box is safer when mounted on the head - no coolant, no swarfs.and easy to reach. I still do not know if that mill is MT3 or R8 as I'm still waiting for detailed photos of it. Does Brigdeports have coolant system (pump, reservoir, etc) as standard?

Quote Originally Posted by bogus105 View Post
    SeabeeGizmo - could you explain me what is wrong with x axis power feed mounted on that mill and X screw? I guess switch box is safer when mounted on the head - no coolant, no swarfs.and easy to reach. I still do not know if that mill is MT3 or R8 as I'm still waiting for detailed photos of it. Does Brigdeports have coolant system (pump, reservoir, etc) as standard?
    My J2 was made in England about mid 70's and I brought it over to Norway about 10 year ago. It's x power feed was not in good shape when I got it. My dad has had 3 Bridgeport's and all three had bad x drivers.
    To many parts, can not get parts will have to make them. Faster and cheaper to get a new one.

Cooling tanks... All the real ones that I have seen have them. If you do not have the large drip tray on it, it is a good Idea to get/make one.

I found exploded view of 6F powerfeed for X axis:
    Attachment 264756
    Lot of parts as for such a simple task mechanism indeed What was the main issue? Worn brushes in motor, worn gears, clutches, electrical problems?

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Hi Mactec......Bridgeport also made it with 3 Morse.....in the late 70's I worked for a firm in UK and our Bridge' had a 3 Morse spindle.
    It would of had to of been ordered with a # 3 Morse, it sure was not a standard for Bridgeport
    Mactec54

handlewanker

Bridgeport did make some machines with different tapers, but these were much older than the machines in the photo, the M head & some J heads had many different spindles, these were V-Belt drive spindles, Not the J2 Variable Drive Heads

They used single belt & Double Belt heads, that had the Morse Taper plus other Tapers as well here is some of what the older heads had, the photo is a M head with a round Ram, this is a antique

Single Belt #.2 Morse Taper
    Single Belt # 7 B&S Taper
    Single Belt #.B3 Taper
    Double Belt #.2 Morse Taper
    Double Belt #7 B&S Taper
    Double Belt #.B3 Taper
    Mactec54

Worn gears and the clutch. I was putting a z power drive on so I order one for the x to safe time and money. I work it to much to have the down time to make the parts. If you have the time to play with it, go for it.

SeebeaGizmo - i'll go for it. I'm not making money on metal cutting. It's just my hobby...
    mactec54 - wow, that X power feed is HUUUUGE!

Regarding R8: how would you compare Morse#3 or even Morse#4 and R8? Is R8 strong&stiff enough for some, say, heavy milling operations?

Quote Originally Posted by bogus105 View Post
    SeebeaGizmo - i'll go for it. I'm not making money on metal cutting. It's just my hobby...
    mactec54 - wow, that X power feed is HUUUUGE!

Regarding R8: how would you compare Morse#3 or even Morse#4 and R8? Is R8 strong&stiff enough for some, say, heavy milling operations?
    Manual Mills today, mostly use R8, as standard, some have options for a ISO 30 Taper or ISO 40 Taper, you will see Morse Tapers used for Lathes mostly, R8 is as good as the collet & spindle you put it in, they are not as good as a 30 or 40 taper Tooling/Spindle, but have been the industry work horse for many years

Yes the power feeds used to be very robust on the old machines,there are lots of gears in there, you changed gears to change the feed speed, no Electronics to change the speed like the newer power feeds units have, the power feeds on the machine in your photo ( Black units), are the latter model feed units, which did not give very much trouble
    Mactec54

I mistook the Y-axis motor for a power knee. My mistake although that puts the value closer to the lower end of my estimate I still think it is a nice machine.
    Moldmaker extraordinaire running many machines at B&D Machine, Inc. Tolland, CT.

Guys, i can't see micro feed reverse knob in the middleof the micro feed hand wheel... I saw cross sectional drawings of BP head and it looks little fragile to me.

bogus105

Yes it is missing, some people take them off if they are not using Z auto feeds, you can still get these parts, if it is not with the machine,or you could make one, the main thing to check is the Knee,as to how much wear in on it, this is a good indication the condition of the machine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Feed Knob.PNG  
    Mactec54

Thanks for info. Does anyone know what thread is that knob? I guess all the threaded connections on this mill is imperial, not metric. As i live in Poland we use metric system and i do not have imperial dies. Hey! I have a lathe i'll turn this thread on the lathe Just need info on what kind of thread is on the knob.

Page 1 of 2 12