585,717 active members*
3,827 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Possible to update imported part?

Possible to update imported part?

This is probably a really dumb question, but is it possible to update an imported part in Sprutcam?

For example: Let's say I import a part, create all of my operations, then make a change to the source CAD file. Is it possible to not lose all of my work in Sprutcam, but instead update the part with the modified geometry and recalculate the toolpaths?

Re: Possible to update imported part?

I have done this in sprut 7.
    I just select the model and move the Z axis of the part in the locate zero tab up enough to clear the new part, then import the new part, then select the old part and delete it. Then all the holes and other machining ops have to be reselected, this usually works but not always for me.

I find it easier to save all the ops of the old part using the "save as default parameters" in the right click dropdown menu on each op. This saves all the parameters of the op so there is less chance of making a mistake.
    Then import a new model of the changed part and and reimport the ops as "load from default parameters" line in the right click on the op menu.
    The bummer is you have to respecify the ops again before you can import their values into the respective ops.
    I sometimes take a snip of those (windows desktop) and recreate the ops again in the new machining tab using the info off of the snip.

I do this quite a bit as I am always changing the part or updating it.

I imagine this procedure will work in the newer sprut versions as well.
    mike sr

Re: Possible to update imported part?

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I have done this in sprut 7.
    I just select the model and move the Z axis of the part in the locate zero tab up enough to clear the new part, then import the new part, then select the old part and delete it. Then all the holes and other machining ops have to be reselected, this usually works but not always for me.

I find it easier to save all the ops of the old part using the "save as default parameters" in the right click dropdown menu on each op. This saves all the parameters of the op so there is less chance of making a mistake.
    Then import a new model of the changed part and and reimport the ops as "load from default parameters" line in the right click on the op menu.
    The bummer is you have to respecify the ops again before you can import their values into the respective ops.
    I sometimes take a snip of those (windows desktop) and recreate the ops again in the new machining tab using the info off of the snip.

I do this quite a bit as I am always changing the part or updating it.

I imagine this procedure will work in the newer sprut versions as well.
    Thanks, I have been using a process similar, although it is a bit tedious. I was hoping for a, "You're dumb, there is an update button right there!" kind of answer, but I guess that button doesn't exist =)

That feature, along with an undo would be very helpful! Aside from those and learning the little nits here and there, I am liking Sprut pretty well so far.