584,863 active members*
4,709 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Better, cheaper than GECKO drive?

Smile Better, cheaper than GECKO drive?

Hi guys,
    I am new with the microstepper drive and want to get one for testing mini cnc machine.
    I have searched thru the web and found this
    3 AXIS CNC STEPPER MOTOR DRIVE
    * Two phases bipolar (PWM Technology)
    * Resolution: Full step, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, selectable via dip switch for each axis you can obtain resolution until of 1600 steps per 360º revolution with a conventional motor of 200 steps, imagines the fine movement that you will have.
    * 50 watts outpower per axis

Sold for $100.

I am hesitating as weather I should try it out since it is 3 axis drive or should I go with reputation name like GECKO.......
    Any advice anyone?
    Thanks
    Jeff

You get what you pay for!
    50 watts may sound like a lot but it could easily be pure hype - 50 volt max @ 1 amp = 50 watts.

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by cjchands View Post
    Hi guys,
    I am new with the microstepper drive and want to get one for testing mini cnc machine.
    I have searched thru the web and found this
    3 AXIS CNC STEPPER MOTOR DRIVE
    * Two phases bipolar (PWM Technology)
    * Resolution: Full step, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, selectable via dip switch for each axis you can obtain resolution until of 1600 steps per 360º revolution with a conventional motor of 200 steps, imagines the fine movement that you will have.
    * 50 watts outpower per axis

Sold for $100.

I am hesitating as weather I should try it out since it is 3 axis drive or should I go with reputation name like GECKO.......
    Any advice anyone?
    Thanks
    Jeff
    got a link then you can get a good opinion.

I see this guy posted on e-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Any comment, Joe?

i checked out his video and if that is as fast as it can push those motors , i say its a definite waste of money ,3v motors running at 24v should be much faster , he may not be trying to hit top speed though im not sure why not, the motors don t sound very smooth either which may be due to kcam which he was using , its not the smoothest software , wasn t exactly a grand show , check out gecko and see if he still has his video available ,
    youll see why the added price might be worth gettting geckos

yes kcam is not the best software. Im sure he is not running motors full out, wish he ran it in mach3, but from the looks it seems to be a good entro board, i would imagine you may not want to feed more than 30v into it with the back EMF. I would inquire about the single stepper boards to use with a breakout board, that way it is modular.

but no way is it close to a gecko.

joe

Kind of deceptive video, shows a 4A/phase nema 34 hooked up and running at no load. Sine the board max is 2.5A, significantly underpowering the motor to it's capability.
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Thanks guys for a lot of comment,
    I ran into this other one where they sell even "CHEAPER" than the one I listed earlier.
    http://www.hobbycnc.com/hcncpropkg.php
    All packages seem cheap!!!
    Has anyone used or heard about this products before...
    I am narrowing down to few choice.
    Thank you very much, appreciate it.

there are a lot of posts here for hobbycnc ,they are definitly one of the favourites around here , lots of info if you do a search

The Hobby CNC unit is cheaper because it is a kit. You must solder the board yourself. That said, while it's not as good as a Gecko drive, it's still good value for the money. I have two of them, one on a mini-mill and one on a 7" X 14" lathe. they work great.
    my next project (a larger mill) I am going with Geckos.
    Hope this helps
    Insanity "doing the same thing and expecting a different result"
    Mark

www.mcoates.com

Quote Originally Posted by cjchands View Post
    Thanks guys for a lot of comment,
    I ran into this other one where they sell even "CHEAPER" than the one I listed earlier.
    http://www.hobbycnc.com/hcncpropkg.php
    All packages seem cheap!!!
    Has anyone used or heard about this products before...
    I am narrowing down to few choice.
    Thank you very much, appreciate it.
    yes many have used it, I have two of them and they work well, His 200oz kit. I use it in my Model 2006, you can search threads started by me and see how it works.

I would not bother with the HobbyCNC. They do not have good tech support after you buy the product. If you are even half way serious - go with a gecko or something a little better than the HobbyCNC. I know some people have had ok luck with them, but i cannot recommend them.
    ...just my $0.02.

Gecko drives are great but you need 3 of them at $114 each plus a breakout board at approx. $30. The HobbyCNC is $80 and about 1.5 hours of your time total. I have two of them and I am very happy. Support after the sale has been incredible for me. The only thing to consider is that the HobbyCNC only works with unipolar motors but those are inexpensive also and for hobby use they are more than adequate. Just look at the accuracy joe2000che gets with his newest machine and he gets 100 inch rapids with the HobbyCNC board.

The Hobbycnc kit is an excellent kit and works very well. I have more than repaid for my JGRO and all the associated parts with the hobbycnc kit driving the machine. Sometimes it works the whole day and I have never had problems with it.

If you are going with larger motors (> 3A) the gecko will be the best bet especially with the new 203V drives. I plan to use them with a large router I am currently building.

Jason