584,858 active members*
4,632 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > adaptive feedrate

adaptive feedrate

Hi

Is anybody using the adaptive feedrate in the roughing cycle? How well does
    it work in real world machining? What setting seem to work the best?

Thank You

Hi

That makes two of us - I would appreciate some good working settings please?

Thx, Paul

Hi,

I recently used the adaptive feedrate for the first time on a stainless steel job with a 16mm ripper cutter. The cutter did 9 components instead of the usual 7. I have setting of + and - 20% with 5% increments.
    I also tried the trochoidal moves but it increased the time by so much it was cheaper to buy new tools.

I hope this helps

John

i use it all the time (when it works the way its supposed to)... for aluminum 75% less 150 r more at .25 deep(depending on cutter dia) 10 incs . it dosent work as good unless your machine has a look ahead algirithm (spelling?)
    if you are high speed trochoidal milling in stainless (.025 deep) 75 less 300 or more for the upper end .... the reason the upper end is fast is because it helps all those little circles engage the material and then re-engage the material faster...they should just do a high feed or rapid between cuts on all those little circles.
    sometimes the adaptive will machine full width cuts at almost full feed and take 50% cuts alot slower ... i think they need to re engineer the cycle
    DONT MIND MY SPELLING ... IM JUST A MASHINIST

If you are using trochoidal milling then youe are suppose to be able to either double your feedrate or depth of cut.
    Mike W.

not when high speed machining (unless you take less in radial d.o.c)

That's the idea. Increase the depth (100% of Dia) and decrease the width of cut (8%-15% of dia). With the high RPM's of a Hi speed Machining center, this should increase the removal rate.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

i have tried doing that (taking more axial and less radial) but it seems like there is always that one little area that edgecam decides to go full feed at full width of cut and i lose the tool... i am usually trying to take less in axial and 40 to 50 percent radial at a faster velocity (like you see with the iscar feed mills as an example)

Hi cadcamjohn - thank you for the reply my friend...I'll give it a whirl. What part of the country are you in ?