585,973 active members*
4,066 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser / Moshicrap / Out my depth here

Hi people. Newbie here, green around the gills.

I've bought a second hand cheap laser (35/40w...not sure which) with MoshiDraw V9.90.
    I'm used to using Inkscape and outputting to an Epilog from PDF and adjusting the speed/depth manually.
    Anyhow these are my issues please help:
    1) Any JPEG image cuts with jagged edges (you can see its not smooth on Moshi buts its drawn smooth in Inkscape). I usually draw in inkscape and then save as PNG and then convert to JPEG (in photoshop as its all i have). Any advice with this first?
    2) Sometimes the laser just starts drawing lines half way through a curved shape
    3) sometimes the laser kind of loses power and gives up. The amp meter thingy (yes i'm THAT clueless) also shows low power/losing power when i press the 'test switch')
    4) sometimes the stepper motor goes mental and just tries to go everywhere....and beyond its possible track.
    5) can't seem to get settings right to go through 2mm mdf or corrugated card - on the card it just burns before going through; mdf just doesn't go through (can 35w cut this??)
    6) burns edges on most things
    7) does other weird things i can't remember

Not sure what to do. Don't have knowledge to change PCB. Not sure if its a software issue.....just no idea.
    Please help. Big virtual hugs for anyone who can help.

On a serious note i would consider paying someone to fix this damn thing / upgrade it to work simply from Inkscape.....within reason.

Calida
    Hope to hear from you soon

Re: Laser / Moshicrap / Out my depth here

Hello fellow UK'er

First off, I don't know anything about your laser, the problem is, to help, nobody else will either, so go around the laser and open up panels and write down everything you see, if you see a PCB it will have writing on it somewhere, the tube should have a stick on label, the laser machine itself should have some sort of product name or version number, and long story short, the more of this information you can add to your post, the more likely you are to get someone who has your exact same machine come across your message and who will be able to exactly answer your questions.

Re: Laser / Moshicrap / Out my depth here

Easy to solve in three simple Steps:

1.Open up Machine and Check EVERYTHING: make sure all the wires are connected properly, end switches, belt tension, bearings, lens alignment, add pressured air, build in stronger fume extraction, add radiator for watercooling, etc etc etc etc.
    2.Download latest Moshidraw release from Moshidraw.com it will solve a lot of headaches.
    3. After a while come to the conclusion that Moshidraw is utter crap and rebuild the machine to use a generic bob and mach3.

For further research on this topic just search for K40 Lasers, thats what tehy are commonly called, but it all condenses down to these three simple steps