584,874 active members*
5,271 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Multi Type Motor Controller

Here is a PIC based motor controller i designed about 5 years ago. I know it will work i partly tested it, but i have lost the software i wrote. Since then the PIC cpu's are more advanced and i would replace it with a newer one. Lets see it i can post the pics. :-)

Re: Multi Type Motor Controller

Having a quick look at the microchip web site, it looks like the dsPIC33EPXXXMC20X/50X or the likes would be a direct drop-in replacement.
    one could loose the external osc, and use an adc for current monitoring or use one of the 3 internal op amp/comparators.

I would also replace the usb chip with a pic 16f1855. This ic has a usb interface. i would use some of the xtra i/o's for possibly current limit, far and near limits, and have a few aux i/0 screw terminals for something like motor cutter speed or in the case of 3d printing heat head control or whatever. i think this would allow the main cpu xtra time for encoder handleing thus higher encoder resolution or faster move speeds or both. this is just a thought.

So looking at your schematic it looks like you could run Brushed DC, BLDC, or steppers depending on the firmware. Possibly even closed loop steppers since it has encoder inputs. interesting.

A very useful upgrade would be to add current sensing circuits in order to take advantage of Microchip's vector control library.

Do you have a BOM (Bill Of Materials)? Have you priced it?
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

hello James: i have no bill of material. i posted this on the net a few years ago. since then, my computers, software test eq. etc got stolen. i found my original post on the internet and placed it here. i am slowly getting some new (used) test stuff and i will get back into the motor stuff.

I'm interested in this because I'm working on a cheap and very fast way of making position encoders called a Single Track Grey Code. It allows for absolute positions via parallel sensor readings so a low cost or otherwise occupied uC like your PIC could pretty easily read a position instantly and then drive the motor via an error signal calculated from the read position and the desired position. See the bottom of this web page:
    techref.massmind.org/techref/new/letter/news0312.htm#STGC
    and this page:
    techref.massmind.org/techref/stgc.asp
    if you are interested in looking into that.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

hello James
    there is a bill of material with the mtmc controller. one has to down load the entire file from this post,
    there is other information as well in that file.
    thanks for your interest.
    ps:i am just thinking if i should invest in buying the necessary equipment and stalk to get back into electronic design.
    it is a tough call here.

Quote Originally Posted by smarbaga View Post
    ps:i am just thinking if i should invest in buying the necessary equipment and stalk to get back into electronic design.
    it is a tough call here.
    Equipment and parts are dirt cheap if you order from China. But ready made boards are also.

hello James
    there is a bill of material with the mtmc controller. one has to down load the entire file from this post,
    I don't see any file attached to your post.

Quote Originally Posted by James Newton View Post
    I don't see any file attached to your post.
    The BOM is on page 4 and 5 of the pdf file in the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by jschmitt View Post
    The BOM is on page 4 and 5 of the pdf file in the first post.
    Ah... thank you so much for pointing that out. Not sure how I missed it... I didn't even realize those were pdf's attached, I thought they were just pictures of the PCB and schematic.

So... we are looking at $54 for a driver that can support... how many amps? And I don't see the encoder in the BOM, so that is another what? $20? at least.

Not trying to be a downer... I just want to make sure the project is fiscally viable before I get into it.

Main question: How big a motor can you realistically run with this driver?

i was on ebay looking at the price of servo controllers, omg, there not cheap !!!

the size of the motor would depend of the fets you use. Big igbt's can always be mounted off board. but i lost the software and the gerber file, as well as my orcad design software, as well as my stock and test equipment.

the size of the motor would depend of the fets you use. Big igbt's can always be mounted off board. but i lost the software and the gerber file, as well as my orcad design software, as well as my stock and test equipment.
    It sounds like you got burglarized.

yeh, that's exactly what happened, got wiped out overnight, many years of collecting.

That's unfortunate. I have a collection of hard to replace parts also, which would fetch next to nothing on the open market if stolen. Maybe that's a good excuse to keep everything messy an unorganized.

hello:
    I am going to start a new thread with a new multi type motor controller design, thread called ... u guessed it.... New Multi Type Motor Controller
    hope i can get some input and comments from you guys. thanks.