585,582 active members*
3,916 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Dc AIO supporting parts question.

this is probably a bit out of scope - but here goes:
    In the image below, besides the DC AIO for my SuperMax retrofit I need terminal blocks, fused rails and even a nice relay / opto I/O board as noted in the Pics. I've dug around on McMaster Carr.... But I'm not sure what these things are called or where ya'll like to shop for this stuff. I plucked this from your pic's slideshow - so I know it's a customers setup. Any tips on where to get the strips, what type they may be, the rail fuses and contactors source etc would be welcome!

Attachment 264922

Re: Dc AIO supporting parts question.

the image you selected is a little old, i can send you an updated one. many of the items are still the same so i have numbered them.

1. spindle reversing contactor. i'd just use an inverter at this day and age, they are cheap and then you get real programmable spindle speed in addition to on off cw ccw. i use automation direct gs series inverters.

2.) 220 volt or 110 volt flood contactor. all this is a switch that turns on and off with a low voltage signal from the Centroid All in one DC cnc control board. the all in one has relay out on it! so it is very simple to control contactors and solenoids with minimal wiring and fuss. you can get contactors at a number of different locations on the web... automation direct is one source.

3.) fuse block or better yet circuit breakers. everyone who installs cnc control has pretty much switched to the circuit breakers, they are actually cheaper and better than install fuses for any of the machine tool accessories.

4.) power input dissconnect, when the electrical cabinet is open this disconnects the power to everything inside. both 220 for the spindle/inverter and 110 vac for everything else.n you can get this from ajax and other sources online. if you are updating a existing cnc control.. most likely these parts are already on the machine and you can reuse them.

5.) these are extra relay boards.. specific to a boss machine the you will not need. also if you use an inverter on a boss you wont' need these either.

6.) Terminal strips. these are just plastic boxes with screw terminals that allow you to connect two wires together easily. automationdirect.

7.) DC power supply step down transformer. you already have one of these in your existing cnc control.. it takes 110 vac and steps is down to 85? or so.. so that when the 85 vac is turned into DC for the servo's its at around 140 volts DC.

8.) this is the centroid "all in one DC " cnc control board. 3 axis DC servo drive, PLC with relay out, spindle control, encoder inputs, limit switches inputs, flood , mist and other outputs..everything you need on one board. (the photo is of an older version call the servo3io)

9.) User supplied PC running windows 7 or 8. you can also buy this from Ajax all preconfigured with all the cnc software preinstalled and windows tweaked for CNC.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc-zone-system-image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	264932

5.)

Now that is a useful image! Thanks
    CG.

Quote Originally Posted by cnckeith View Post

Thanks again, as always. Encoder's are on the way. (2500ppr) medium duty from automationdirect. Saved enough on those that I can get the Centroid control pendant now too! ;-)
    automation direct is a pretty darn cool store.

I recently purchased a 3 phase rotary setup for the shop so I'll need to decide if I just go w/ 3 phase in or setup the VFD.
    Time to draw this all out I guess. The supermax YMC 30 is a variable speed Mill. But yeah, the VFD's are so easy and w/ fwd/rev wired into the enclosure it is appealing huh!
    Anyway. Time to hit all your manuals and online materials and rip the Bandit III out and inventory what I have. Love this winter project.
    CG.