585,898 active members*
5,021 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > New 2015 Shopmaster Mill-Turn

New 2015 Shopmaster Mill-Turn

A picture of the new 2015 Mill-Turn machine is up on the Shopmaster site. Looks like they've made some significant changes. It has a full length gantry for the mill spindle supported by six 1" columns and synchonized ball screws to raise/lower. Linear rails for the mill head (replaces round quill?). I'd like to see some better pictures with the sheetmetal off.

Re: New 2015 Shopmaster Mill-Turn

Wow! Thanks for posting that! Looks verry interesting!!!

Dang I should have held off for a month. Buyers remorse

Unhappy Re: New 2015 Shopmaster Mill-Turn

Quote Originally Posted by kristylynn9598 View Post
    Dang I should have held off for a month. Buyers remorse
    Tell me about it. I received my Patriot VFD on Jan 5th and I'm still sorting out a bunch of issues. My email subject line to JT was just that: "Buyer's Remorse". Seeing the new machine design before I'm even making chips is rubbing salt in the wound. Even worse: The new machine, similarly equipped (with DRO and full CNC) is only $0.98 more than I paid for mine!

I had several things to work through as well, not much I didn't expect based on reading the forums. I pretty much have it worked out now, I just got limit/homing switches put in last weekend. I have made a few chips but am building my tooling arsenal now so I can start doing some real things. JT has been good and helping me through the issues. For me it is a lot to learn but am loving every minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Jeff View Post
    Tell me about it. I received my Patriot VFD on Jan 5th and I'm still sorting out a bunch of issues. My email subject line to JT was just that: "Buyer's Remorse". Seeing the new machine design before I'm even making chips is rubbing salt in the wound. Even worse: The new machine, similarly equipped (with DRO and full CNC) is only $0.98 more than I paid for mine!
    I can understand the buyer's remorse, I had the same feeling after buying a used one at a fraction of the cost. I bought mine at auction without prior inspection, my evaluation was based on a few pictures and whatever info I could scrape from forums like this one. After getting it home and looking at all the flaws and poor construction I considered just trying to resell it. I've decided to keep it and rebuild it, if it doesn't fit my needs I can still sell it later. If I paid what you did and had to do all the work to make it right I'd probably be really upset, but there are really no other options without spending a lot more money and getting two separate machines.

About the new machine, the full length tubular bridge has to be a huge improvement over the bolted on floppy steel plate on the Patriot. It looks like it still has a round quill but the description says Z axis linear rails, not sure what that means. Maybe it's referring to the round support columns. I don't think six 1" columns are rigid enough to support that bridge, but it's hard to say without seeing how they are mounted. Hopefully the far end columns are attached to the cast iron bed and not the sheetmetal table.

Is this the "Fiero Addiction" from Pennocks ? lol

Yes, though I have been out of the Fiero business for several years.

Cool, ya I havent done anything with them for a few years do to medical issues. Im Mike Gonzalez on PFF, used to do a lot of 3800 stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiero Addiction View Post
    I can understand the buyer's remorse, I had the same feeling after buying a used one at a fraction of the cost. I bought mine at auction without prior inspection, my evaluation was based on a few pictures and whatever info I could scrape from forums like this one.
    Fiero,
    In fairness I think you should make it clear that you bought a used Tri-Power machine which came from a factory that closed down years ago. The Mill Turn comes from a different place. I have my order in for the new machine now- this will be my 3rd machine in the last 20 years- If you have any questions about the design you can always call JT, he's the same guy I've been dealing with since 1993.

If you want me to be fair I should probably also say that I own a Bridgeport mill and a 14x60 South Bend lathe, which together cost about half of what I paid for the used Shopmaster. They are my basis for determining vaue and quality of a machine. But they are old and loose and I have an itch for CNC which is why I bought the shopmaster. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, and to be totally honest I never would have considered buying one if I hadn't happened to see it come up at auction. It's just not the type of machine I would have gone out looking for, but I can see the value in it for it's small footprint and relatively large capacity.

I've read about the factory changeover and even read that the new machines are made in the same factory as Tormach, as if that somehow automatically makes them better. I haven't seen a machine from the new factory so i can't comment on any change in build quality.

I look forward to seeing your review and pictures of your new machine when it arrives. If I were interested in buying one I'd contact JT for more details, but I'd only be wasting his time. I'm just curious about it. I actually found out about it while searching google images for ideas on how yo build a better bridge for my machine, and that looks really close to what I had in mind.

Placed my order for one earlier this month. Anyone have some first-hand reviews/insights/feedback on the new machine ?
    I build cnc-type machines at work so I expect I'll probably make some modifications once it's at home in my garage.

Its a piece of junk JT DOES NOT stand behind his machines!!!!! I will NEVER deal with him again!!!!!!!!!

Aren't you the guy who bought the old style DIY cheapy special and couldn't figure out how to adjust the quill? Are you saying you now bought a new model machine?

Yes I'm the guy that bought the "Cheapy special" Same machine as everybody else but I did my own electronics and steppers Ok is there a secret to adjusting the quill when the quill bore is out of round .002 and that makes it .004 to .006 bigger than the quill. Yes I did the set screw which was .010 to small from the factory that stopped the twisting of the quill and took the play from .020 to .015. Maybe some math wiz on here can verify the slop in the bore to the quill when the tool moves .015 when it touches. Back and to the left to be exact. Same way the bore is out of round. Just watch the video.

I can't wait for the Fall- these Summer re-runs are so boring.

Quote Originally Posted by n1tr0 View Post
    Placed my order for one earlier this month. Anyone have some first-hand reviews/insights/feedback on the new machine ?
    I build cnc-type machines at work so I expect I'll probably make some modifications once it's at home in my garage.
    Here's a link to an innovative tool- another Patriot owner has put one of these on his machine for barrel work.

Straight Shot Gunsmithing

Manuals

I have bought my Shopmaster a few months ago. My question is that has anyone else got one
    and did they get a service manual and a part list/ diagrams? I was told that they have problems
    downloading it on their computer. Other people says that they don't want to give it our.
    If someone has one could they let me know and maybe they could send a copy to me?

Should have searched before posting. Was asking about issues with latest shopmaster, but see other threads. Can edit, but not delete.