584,802 active members*
5,071 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal 2216 Dumping a LOT of way lube into the chip pan

Fadal 2216 Dumping a LOT of way lube into the chip pan

Hello,

I recently picked up a 1996 Fadal 2216 in fantastic condition, I powered it up today, everything works as is should however, I have a LOT of way lube dumping from the X axis ways (maybe other places too, noticed the "X" first).

I pulled the way covers to see if a line had failed, not the case. The lube is dripping a large "drop" about every 15 to 20 seconds into the chip pan from the "X" ways. This is way too much oil.

Does anyone know what could cause this? The Bijur lube pump does have a pneumatic solenoid, not sure why or what it does but I'm suspicious....

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'd like to put this nice machine to work this week. We have a 5020, same lube set up, no large oil dump on that one.

Thanks,

Joe in Largo, FL

Re: Fadal 2216 Dumping a LOT of way lube into the chip pan

for reference I need to refill my way oil about every 2 weeks, and the machine only runs about 20 hours a week.

Howdy,

Adjust the lube amount on the Bijur unit on the back of the machine. On the fadal it is covered with a plastic cap. Pop off the cap (I had to cut my cap off), loosen the locking screw, then screw the all thread in. I can't really say how far down it should go. But I put mine in nearly 2/3 of the way and have found the ways to still be well lubricated. Be careful with your wrenches because there are pipe fittings that are a little too delicate and look like it won't take much to break them.

Quote Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
    Howdy,

Adjust the lube amount on the Bijur unit on the back of the machine. On the fadal it is covered with a plastic cap. Pop off the cap (I had to cut my cap off), loosen the locking screw, then screw the all thread in. I can't really say how far down it should go. But I put mine in nearly 2/3 of the way and have found the ways to still be well lubricated. Be careful with your wrenches because there are pipe fittings that are a little too delicate and look like it won't take much to break them.
    Thanks for the advice!

I cranked the adjusting screw nearly all the way down, still a lot of way lube in the pan (maybe two or three shot glass's in less than three hours). This machine has been in our shop for two weeks, has not made a chip, used half of the way lube in the tank just setting it up (had power and air some of the time while I was performing PM to everything).
    I think I may have discovered the issue today, the lube manifold on the left side of the saddle has oil restrictors in all of the ports except the line that feeds the front "X" axis way, this is where I think all the oil is coming from. I'll order a new restrictor this week, install it and reset the lube pump roughly where is was then keep an eye on all the moving parts to see they are oily..
    This is a pre-owned machine, who knows why a restrictor would be removed. The machine is really in great shape, it does cut a circle out of round about .0006" though, maybe an axis tune might help...

Thank You!

The metering valve may have been replaced with the wrong one or has been removed. Also, check all ways on the other axis to make sure they are lubing correctly. Further, using the wrong way lub weight can cause this too.

I have a similar oil issue but a little different scenario. Here is what I have discovered. The oil solenoid is controlled by the computer system is is energized for 3 min and 50 seconds and off for 10 seconds every 4 minutes or so. ( the oil squirt ) .. You can also press the manual button on the solenoid to make it oil with the machine off and air applied. ( but I have read not to leave air pressure applied when the machine is not in use, or powered off as it can damage the oiler assembly over time). The oiler is supposed to only cycle when there is movement of any of the 3 axis. Mine seems to pump oil every 4 minutes regardless of the machine moving or not? So i am puzzled exactly why it doesn't stop oiling when I stop and study the books? I think the oil pressure builds up about 350 psi or so every 4 minutes then pushes a little into the lines during normal operation.

I had faulty metering units causing lube to leak into the saddle and eventually into the chip pan. Replaced them all and problem solved.

Thanks for responding back! Sometime we don't know if we helped or not. This way it may help others. Kido to you!