585,759 active members*
4,048 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Techno CNC > To bring the dead back to life or not ?
Page 1 of 2 12

To bring the dead back to life or not ?

This is for all the Techno experts out there .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Techno Router Inspection Details 001.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	391.7 KB 
ID:	266002 Would you dare bring it back to life from everything electronics in the unit or would you use it solely for a parts machine . Scrap the electronics / software and control box for newer products on the market ??? Cost effective or not ??

Re: To bring the dead back to life or not ?

they have a very great mechanics..

if it has the isel covered gantry then it worth very much to power up.. practically they never wear out..

just a question, is it has servo or stepper?

I tlooks like a smaller machine.. anyway try to power up first..

if it has servo, then try to use the original control and control box.. if it is stepper... then simplest go is an another control and using the exist motors..
    we used an isel in around 97... the stepper was controlled as ""point to point"" very slow..
    and was very pricey the german controlbox..

isel has german prices, what is use to be overpriced..

Attachment 265994It looks mechanically sound , just the rest of it . Cannot boot it up and so on ,

first you can give a try to calling them...
    Techno, Inc. | Industrial and Educational Automation Products Since 1986

get some price from them.. who knows they might offer you a few hundered dollar solution..

if not then go to the kelinginc website.. and check for controls..
    a ready to go box, 560, and you can control with mach3....
    check on the 4 axis control too.. later you simply can hook a rotary

even you can get a handheld remote control... means you can jog setup control speed and everything from a pendant.. that cost 120..

CNC Controller Boxes | Automation Technology Inc

so you don't have to take too much effort to get working...

one more thing I would suggest you, try to replace the bellow that missing from gantry.. I have on my machine, I opened mine checking on pillow blocks if need to tightening... and it was clean behind everything.. just like it made in factory..

those rails I think the type of an aluextrusion has 2ea ground steel rod.. 12mm dia ea..

I just checked their website..
    long time not visited..
    already some prices are visible..
    an economically priced control start with 1700, plus not known how much they ask for their program...

just call them first... my guessing is, your machine was set on side, because the owner upgraded to a larger router..
    so if you were luckily you need only rewiring..

for the spindle.. I definitely would say check for ebay a 1.5 kw or a 2.2 kw spindle..
    that exist spindle don't looks capable to handling 1/2 in endmills other wise the machine could..
    that was driven with a "O" belt possible at least 30 to replace..

reason I suggesting these, because if you cant get working the exist control sending forth and back the control to new York, can cost more than a new control..

Thanks Vic

Doing the home work on a machine that is very difficult to track down , have a lot of calls out their this morning . Just waiting for the pros from Dover to pass on their info for a refit possibility . Spoke at length last night , if the shipping costs double the price along with refit costs it may just end up to be a boat anchor or yard art . Not many if any have info on the Techno Replicator II system ( 26 yr old machine ) ?? Bringing a dead machine back to life hmmmm , maybe best to keep it from turning into a Frankenstein .

Okay , on the assumption all the electronics ( steppers, control box, etc ) and the Dayton motor are going to dumped and just the machine is left to work with . Whats the best refit options can you all suggest for this machine ? 4 axis capable , max aluminium 1/2 inch thick . Shopping list please , how would you do it with what is out there ??

A humble request from the knowledge base here .

Hows this for starters Camtronics, inc. -- CNC with Dan Mauch

I am planning a DMM retrofit on my 5x8.

why would you need to change the stepper motors if they power up ?

I would love to find something like that cheap around here !

The more experienced guys with Techno that i had spoke with today and last night all said similar things . Scrap the electronics totally and work fresh . The machine being dos based had issues and being 26 yrs old , a service money pit to get it back to original running condition . I have made the best offer to the guy considering the mechanical factors that they were unable to confirm or deny . Plus considering the shipping from up north to deep south played a big part in it also . It does have some endearing qualities left in it and a boat anchor or yard art is still possible for it's future . Keeping fingers crossed one way or the other .

my opinion still
    first call then and ask how you can test or start this old system
    a phonecall wont cost more than 10 bux

next if system don't stand up and motors wont start, then ask them where a fix start? how much it could be?

shipping forth and back at least 100 or more?
    probably

then look for kelinginc, or call automationtechnologies site.... I believe the smallest stuff what cost 550 and that is 3 axis, that would work..
    but... you probably wants later 4th axis.. and why not..
    so if you buy a control then buy the proper size and 4 axis..

when control gets there you hook up the new one and try.. those control boxes are working after you unpack..
    if motors are dont start then you thinking to change motors.. they are nema 23 and that standard didn't changed.. no matter when this machine was assembled..

so on the end you max expenses could be a new control and a mach 3 and you couldn't spend more time than a day..
    I know the common sense might says why no ttry to fix it or trying any other things..

because the folks who knows how it works they will charge you, and on the end you might pay out a new control price and still you get a 27 year old control

still theres the big question, the gantry could take 4-5 in height
    but looks like the z capable to moving only 2 in
    also hang down a lot..

There is a member on here that was was a former employee of Techno. Cant remember his name offhand but if you search my name in the subforum you will find him. Very knowledgeable guy.
    Bought mine new in 98 as a dos based servo control. This machine was in a shop fire a couple years back. Most of the damage is cosmetic other than the electronics.

That was one of the calls received today , Techno guru , Just happened to talk before he was about to post to the thread . When a service guy from the former co tells you it would cost more , than starting fresh . Well , he has worked on them longer than I and his rep is at stake as a result . I have had some ugly duck machines before but when they can out perform some on the market today for the home / garage shop . Giving the benefit of the doubt it was working when it stopped seeing use or other however many years it has sat . ( best guess 15 yrs plus ) Put away wet ^ or hung out to dry because they didn't want to deal with the issues way back when . I'll give it the once , twice , three good ole college tries and then start at square one .

After having seen the original sale price , one would expect it to be running in some capacity . The price dropped like a tone of bricks , hmmmm . Business practices nowadays have resulted in question everything , did they know ??? They can either accept or reject the offer or it would have sold months ago .

The sellers rep and I spoke at length more than once ( my dime and his ) . Phone and emails for long enough to see a trend with price drops . Asking for a vid seemed appropriate being 2000 miles from the machine . Shipping to Texas was quoted above 250 for the carrier he uses all the time from previous sales . ( " MACHINE IS IN TOP CONDITION AND EXCELLENT FOR HOME BASED
    BUSINESS'S OR MODEL SHOPS OR WOOD MACHINING APPLICATIONS " )

hope it will work for you..

will it be under 1000 your cost?
    will the isel program make lookahead? means continuous movement?

because the original control did not..

so these you need to consider... a new control plus a spindle, what really quiet is under a 1000 with mach3...

and with this configuration, you can get parts from 100 different places.. to getting parts, programs for isel that's only two way, from Germany if possible
    or from techno new York...

Thanks Vic

It would be nice to have cause the size fits for here and what is going to be required of it . Not going to loose any sleep if they pass on the offer . The parts out there can give it some serious upgrades for sure . I have a dream or a nightmare . Have some items to make for the grandkids and some well deserved upgrades around this old house . I still have some left over extrusion and linear rails and bearings from another quest . Use one machine to make the other .

Well it appears the the sale has been agreed to in principal from both our sides . Iron out some details still .

Hi all,

As most have concluded here, the best bet is to scrap the electronics (maybe keep the motors, maybe not) and start fresh with a modern controller like Mach 3.
    Even if it were working, that old MAC100 controller just wouldn't be any fun in a modern shop. We only repair those things when it is absolutely positively required.

Eric
    Eric Feldman - Design Engineer, Programmer
    Armor CNC - http://www.armorcnc.com Support hours: 7am thru 10pm EST, 7 days a week

Hi Eric

I guess we talked to the same guy regarding the machine . Sent him a link to your site last night , glad to see he asked same if not similar questions . It's just sitting there degrading , put the thing to use or sell it ?

If I had nothing to do, I might pay that much for the machine as a carcass, gut it, put on the latest and greatest custom controller from Armor and tinker to my heart's content.

Just for fun, we got 3d-printing going on the controller, as well as handwheel control for position and feed override during cutting.

For now, I have to live vicariously through my customers. Only time to fix and build. fix and build. fix and build.
    Eric Feldman - Design Engineer, Programmer
    Armor CNC - http://www.armorcnc.com Support hours: 7am thru 10pm EST, 7 days a week

Page 1 of 2 12