585,727 active members*
4,236 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Received Machine - Missing some parts?

Received Machine - Missing some parts?

Hello all, thanks for your answers to my previous posts. For those who what to say "I told you so". Ok I accept that.

Anyway, I received the VMC 15 last week, Appeared to be in ok condition off the truck (except for being dirty). Rented the big forklift and got it in the basement with about 1" to spare on top. Upon my initial cleanup and looking over the machine, I noticed some parts missing and some wires cut, and some plugs unplugged.
    When I bought this machine I had photos of it under power, and so I know the place that sold it was using it, however the salesman was the middleman, so I wonder if he ever even looked at it. Anyway someone took some stuff off and I have been trying to figure out what parts or boards are missing and what the cut wires went to?

I have contacted the salesperson about this, but he is unwilling to help so far. Machine was bought as-is, but was supposed to be in working condition.
    He said the parts were removed after it was offered for sale, which is BS, because I have a photo of it under power. So its BS I know, but I'm dealing with it.

Anyway, I'm trying to deal with it, and hoping it is not dead!
    I have not seen one of these machines in person and don't know anyone around here who has one I can look at. So not sure what it missing or what was removed.
    I'm still cleaning, inspecting, and moving the machine to the intended location. So no power applied yet.

- It has an 817 transformer and even the service manual that came with it doesn't show and 817, but the chart on the door shows it is the right voltage for 240 3PH. So it should be ok. ( I bought the 30A phase Perfect converter ) so plan on using it 3 phase.
    Here is what I know:

In the main power compartment.....
    (If anyone can post photos of the inside of this compartment showing all that is supposed to be there would be helpful.)

- The main power disconnect box is completely missing. below the green start button. - I just have to get one of those...
    - The associated wiring from the disconnect to the transformer is removed.
    - The 1170-0 board and associated wiring is missing. (Can I use the 1170-2 if it is the one rated for less than 250V or does it have to be 1170-0 ?)
    - Two small grey wires are cut - they are located just inside the door about midway up on the right. (behind the high voltage warning sign). These two wires go to plugs P12 and P11 on the 1060-0 board ? (see photos)
    - Two other wires are hanging, they may be spare plugs , but not sure they are black and white with pin connectors, one tied off to the harness at the floor and the other tied off to the harness on the side at the tool changer plug.

Not sure if other parts missing from this compartment but the spindle drive and transformer are there, and ad the main board at the bottom is there.

In the side control compartment....

- On the main board down at the bottom, the P13 plug is off, and missing a wire on the top right pin? Assume the plug came off in shipping, but not sure.

Couple of other issues, with parts broken, but I can fix that stuff. Air regulator, etc.
    The only other problem I fear is the motor, it is caked with black oil crap all around the top and inside the fan, inside the covers. Looks terrible. but spins freely and smells a little fowl. I'm going to clean it up and just hope it works for now? It may need a motor, but won't know till I power it up.

Waiting to power it up. Need to figure out what is missing.

Thanks, Tryon

Re: Received Machine - Missing some parts?

Cant say for sure, But possibly somebody removed 4th/5th axis or one of many other options or accessories that could be added to that machine

one of mine, there was a Air/oil spindle option and was removed by a previous owner, Same Scenario, Bought sight unseen, The trucking company
    did a crappy job strapping the machine down, and subsequently bent a bunch of the sheet metal, Took me a couple of days to switch hats, and be a body
    man for a couple of days and straighten some stuff out, the darn doors and slides were bent, and they they just tossed the coolant tank in the machine
    so by time in rattled around and got here, the way covers were all bent up...ya think for $30k you would get a reputable moving company

Suggest get it powered, and let a Fadal qualified tech look at it before you power it up

I always point at examples like this ^ when people complain about my moving prices.
    9 out of 10X machinery moving goes to the cheapest TRUCKER and someone with no experience or insurance rents a forklift so they can save a few hundred$
    We provide professional machinery moving, trucking is just a side effect of the procedure.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Seller included the shipping to get to me, and yes I did rent the forklift and unload it myself. I didn't have any damage from shipping, ( except for the pan scratching up the table some and the Z axis motor digging into the counterweight where it was removed and dropped in the hole) I blame that on the rigger that prepped it, but the shipper did good to chain it down and cover it up. The parts missing was from the seller robbing stuff off before it was prepped to ship. Salesman was unaware of it, but still would not send me the missing parts! I won't do business with Shelvin at The Fadal Parts again. He is not very good with communication after the sale also. You feel left in limbo, not knowing if /when machine will arrive.
    If you get photos of a machine in operation before the sale, you should receive a complete machine , not one missing parts critical to power being applied!
    Regardless of used- as is....

Sounds extremely underhanded to me, I am sorry for your trouble
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

E Bay may have some pic's here is one... a 1995:

1995 Fadal VMC 15 CNC Mill 20"x16" Travels 10 000RPM Spindle Cat 40 | eBay

Trace the wires out and see where they go. What is the machine year? Also, how was the machine advertised, web? e-bay, ect example e-bay has some type of 'moneyback guarantee if you don't get what you order. Post more pictures of your machine inside and out. Grease, oil and dirt are common problems in the motor fan area and most likely not going to cause you undo problems just clean carefully. The pictures will help us help you.

Hello
    I just bought a vmc15 as well.
    I also have the T-817 transformer.
    Can we help each other out? I can send you pictures of what you need, can you send me a picture of the 817 diagram on your door.
    send me an email, fppf at aol.com

Some issues solved... The two wires that were cut went to the tool changer assy. However the wires to the tool changer have been replaced/modified. There is a cannon plug now on the side of the control cabinet, that I didn't see on the other machine. ( ( had a chance to look at another one). My tool changer seems to work, though I am not making chips yet. I still can't understand why the cut wires are still connected to the main board? But it seems to work, at least it moves around manually. Haven't leaned to program it yet.. Replaced the surge supressor board, bolted on a new main switch box, fixed the jumpers on the transformer and got it powered up.

Moving forward a little at a time : ) Just have to figure it out ...

Tryon

That sucks. Sorry for your ordeal. I have a 94 and a 97 vmc 15xt if you have any questions. The two machines are surprisingly different.

Basic rule of law in USA is Whatever you sell (as working) MUST be able to perform the functions it was sold to do. I would go see a lawyer.

Here is a link to manuals including wiring Flint Machine Tools, Inc.
    We're not in business to make parts, we're in business to make money, making parts is just how we do that.

If you need help call 818-727-2100... they are the original fadal company..Still in business today..

That doesnt seem too hard to fix. The T817 is just a 3 phase Tformer that you can use a schematic from the manual to check wiring (better verify). That board your missing I believe that is just the overload board which you could source off ebay for a couple of dimes. The #13 plug is that the 4th axis plug for the socket #13? If so jsut ignore it. And the wires....well the only thing I think you got screwed on were the wires.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

[thanks for the reply, I got the machine back in January . Yes it had some stuff missing. I was able to source the parts. Further, after getting it up and running for enough time to try to work the bugs out, I found the main problem was the machine had a bad vector spindle drive that kept causing random spindle issues.
    Further T/S revealed several failure codes in the drive that went back to click times that were well before I bought it. So I think the shop that sold it to the sales person ( that I was dealing with) knew it had problems.
    Sales person didn't know, but should have verified it was a complete working machine. As that is what I was supposed to be buying.

Long story short/ Shelvin (sales person in California ) did not stand behind the machine he sold, he just flipped it from the other shop to me on whatever they told him. He knew nothing about its real condition! I was stuck fixing everything . Several thousand dollars after the purchase, l fixed everything, and recently got it up and running. Live and learn.

Noyrt

P13 is for the emergency shut off when the doors are open ect. Lots of people disconnect this and there was a court case about how easy it is to disable Fadal's safety system.....

My 94 VMC 15 has too cut off wires as well so I think that's normal.

You can disconnect the transformer output from the machine, wire it, check the output, and only proceed if the output is correct. My VMC 15 actually bypasses the internal transformer which was damaged in a flood. Be aware, VMC 15 output different voltages to the amp cage than most other fadals. I think the amps get 120 or 110 v AC single phase while most Fadals feed the amps 86 V three phase ac power but I don't totally remember.

Dirty spindle motors are common. Clean it up and it'll probably be fine.

Good luck. Dave