584,863 active members*
4,831 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Hobbycnc (Products) > stepper motor suddenly starts to rotate in the same direction for both comands

stepper motor suddenly starts to rotate in the same direction for both comands

Hello I have a system with 5 stepper motors which I control with Mach3. The system has worked good for some years but one day the z axis just wanted to rotate in one direction... No matter if I try it "motortuning mode" or with the virtual jogger (MPG MODE). The motor turns the same way no matter which direction I want it to turn. I wonder where I shall start to seek for the problem. I have test to connect the motor to the X-axis and than it worked as it should so the motor and the cables from the motor to the circuit shall be fine. I think this might be a common problem so I try to ask it here.

best regards: Flyingpickles

Re: stepper motor suddenly starts to rotate in the same direction for both comands

If you have separate drivers you can even swap a driver to check if that's the problem.
    Another step is to check the DIR signal which should change if you change direction.
    Or a end stop which is faulty might screw up the system.
    Give good explanation about the hardware that you use ( including fotos ) and how it's connected.
    With that a better help can be given.
    Regards, Toin.

Re: stepper motor suddenly starts to rotate in the same direction for both comands

Hello the problem is now solved, I have two computers with mach3 and two controller boards. I just shift the two controller boards and then it starts to work, I do not know way but it is still working so right now I am happy.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingpickles View Post
    Hello the problem is now solved, I have two computers with mach3 and two controller boards. I just shift the two controller boards and then it starts to work, I do not know way but it is still working so right now I am happy.
    Next time it happens try to check if the step direction signal really changes when you send a change command. Perhaps there was a contact issue somewhere and by shifting the controllers you solved that automatically. Anyway, I'd check all connections from the PC and all the way, even at the motors. If it works now but you don't know what was wrong then there is definitely a risk for happening again, so it is a good idea to spend time trying to figure out what it was.