585,727 active members*
4,104 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 5 of 5 345

Re: JP's 5x10 plasma build

Well, Finally made some paying parts today. Still a few bugs to work out but I was pretty happy. Even learned how to do nesting in Sheetcam and everything.

Looking good. What Cam are you using?
    With Sheetcam, there is a setting to overcut the lead in and lead out or something to that effect. It would help with the point on the circle.
    Lee

Yeah, I have sheetcam and it was a combination of overburn and pierce delay. I'm not positive but maybe the longer torch lead (35') needs an extra .1 sec for pierce than book specs, seemed like it was trying to move before the arc was established. Seems to be working good now, though I still have a arc volt reading when torch is off, and will continue to try and fix that but I am able to work around it.

Stuff that thin should have virtually no pierce delay.
    I don't delay my pierces. It's almost instant when I run without THC. That is how I cut out all my holes in stuff up to .120" thick 304 SS. I think there is some built in delay somewhere when THC is on. The longer you have to pierce, I think you are putting wear on the consumable. Pierce only as long as needed to be through the sheet and get on with it.
    Lee

Got some 1/2" plate cut on the plasma tonight. Log grapple, gussets, and outrigger parts for my log trailer build, and a barrel lifter I found online. 1200 ipm rapids on X and Y now.

And the finished plate. All hand nested, probably could of squeezed a few pcs closer but all in all not bad. Had a couple hickups, but learned pretty quick how to pick back up and recover.

Cuts look good. Will you be showing final pics of the log trailer build? Is it a personal project?

I have some build threads on other forums. Welding Web being one

Started working on the rotary axis for the plasma table today. Got all the big pieces cut, lots of welding and machining to do now.

Got a bit of welding done on the rotary frame as well as the chuck backplate. Need to order some tubing Monday for the spindle. Now I can start machining the frame for the bearing hole and mounting holes for the bearing flanges etc.

Got most of the machining done on the main frame, still have to punch the holes for the jackshaft but first have to figure out where that will be more exactly.

Should be able to machine up the bearing flanges sometime tomorrow.

Got the bearing flanges machined. Still have to tap and countersink them for flat head screws yet then they will be done. Then have to design up a timing belt pulley and whenever the tube for the spindle gets here weld that to the chuck backplate and start machining it up.

Got the spindle tube welded to the back plate and machined to fit the chuck. Decided to machine the tube while attached to the chuck so as to be sure everything is perfect alignment. Hopefully tomorrow I can get a bunch of turning done for the bearing fits.

For size ref the lathe chuck is 16"

Got the spindle tube all machined today. Just have to make a nut for it now.

And the obligatory trial fit. The bearing alignment in the frame isn't quite perfect but the way the flanges hold it, when the frame is in the mill for putting the jack shaft holes in I'll bump the hole ever so slightly in the frame.

Also can finally add another support gusset to the tables mount arms for the rotary now that I know where bolts are placed etc, should take the last of the wiggle out of that arm with a brace down to the tube support beam.

Excellent progress. Very cool stuff.
    Lee

do you have a schematic of your electrical cabinet you can post? Im new to cnc plasma haven't found a decent schematic how to wire all related plasma harware.

Page 5 of 5 345