585,768 active members*
4,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > oz/in. on a servo is it the same as on a stepper?

oz/in. on a servo is it the same as on a stepper?

im looking at getting into servo motors for my lathe. it is 12x40 and im not sure what size of servo to go with. i see servos on ebay and the oz/in. seems way to low for the size of the servo motor.is there a difference between a 80 oz/in servo vs a 80 oz/in. stepper. this of course is just an example. any info would be appreciated. thanks mike

Steppers have more torque at very low RPM and can rapidly lose it at higher speeds. On servos, torque remains constant up to rated RPM. Therefore reduction gearing on a stepper to get more torque can be a bad idea, but it will work very well on a servo.

karl

What Karl T says is the basic difference. In otherwords if you have a stepper that runs at 275 oz/in up to 1200 RPM and then power drops to its max RPM of say 100 oz/in (or even less) at 2000 RPM. So you gear it 2/1 and end up with a pathetic 50 oz/in at a max RPM of 1000.

1000RPM with a 5TPI screw gives you rapids of up to 200 IPM, but with 50 oz/in of torque its not very usefull.

Then you have a 4000 RPM servo with a 100 oz/in of torque throught its speed range. You gear it 4/1 and end up with 400 oz/in throughout its range up to a shaft max RPM of 1000. With that same lead screw you have 400 oz/in of torque from 0 - 200IPM and allmost instantaneous acceleration, and a method of insuring position accuracy.

Here are some pics of the new gantry I'm building. I am getting 600IPM rapids on the long screw with over 400 oz/in of torque and 400IPM rapids with 200 oz/in's on the short Z axis, while running Mac3 at 25KHZ. All that I need to do now is decde on how I'm going to put the X axis together. Iv'e got another 200watt servo and controller, like the Y axis shown to drive it, or two 100 watt drives and motors like the Z axis is using for a dual drive X axis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NewGantry01.JPG   NewGantry02.JPG  
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Also the rated torque of a servo can be up to one third of the peak available.
    Motion Control Products Ltd
    www.motioncontrolproducts.co.uk