585,722 active members*
4,088 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

DMM Servo Fault LED

Hey guys, I just received my DMM 4 axis servo kit, and I was wondering how I could connect a fault LED to each drive. I've seen people do it, but there is no explanation in the breakout board manual. There is a drive fault signal in the BOB to the drive, but I'm not sure if I can connect an LED in parallel with a resistor, or if there is another place on the BOB.
    Shaun
    my x2 conversion ------> http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36403

Re: DMM Servo Fault LED

skmetal7

What Drive do you have, 48V dc input or the new 70V dc input
    Mactec54

They are the Dyn2H 48vdc drives.
    Shaun

Quote Originally Posted by skmetal7 View Post
    They are the Dyn2H 48vdc drives.
    There is no where on the Breakout Board to do this, on the new Drive you most likely could do this, I'm not sure why you would have a need to do this, if a drive goes into fault, then Mach 3 Reset will flash

The only time the drive's is likely to fault, is when doing the set up to suit your machine, Mach 3 & motor Tuning, after you have this set up correctly, the Drives won't go into a Fault condition, unless you ran the machine into a hard stop

With the 48v Dyna 2 Drives you have to power off, just the 48Vdc supply, for the Drives to do a Reset
    Mactec54

Yeah, I would like a fault led for when I'm setting the internal drive and mach3/4 parameters. How likely is a drive to fault because of, let's say, too much accel?
    Shaun

skmetal7

The Drive will fault with the acceleration set to high

It depends what motors you are running, as to how high the acceleration can be set, if the acceleration is set to high,more than the motor max RPM, then the drive will fault, you first set your steps per, then do the acceleration
    Mactec54

Got my drives temporarily set up on a coffee table. :P So far running great. The motors seem to vibrate a small amount. I don't know if that's the program that I have running or if it's oscillation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=botS...HbUSyc19jwTfTQ
    Shaun

skmetal7

Are you referring to that odd noise they are making, if so that is not normal, with the cables laying around like they are it could be they are picking up some noise, loosen the DB9 Encoder plugs screws, were they screw together, if these screws are to tight, ( Drive End ) this will distort the circuit board inside the plug, this can cause them to make some noise as well, what settings have you set in the Drives, these are 3 things that can cause what we can hear
    Mactec54

Yeah, they are vibrating and rattling together. The Plugs are not tight. It only happens with this 3d part I have running. It's many small line segments and I think that makes the motors jerk a small amount. I tried the roadrunner.tap program and it runs super smooth. Main and Int. Gain are at 40, Speed gain is at 25.

Another question, what would be the best way to connect a relay to this breakout board at Dout16 and Dout17? Since it doesn't output 5vdc. An ssr? Or a mechanical relay board, like what CNCforPC sells? I'm thinking I might need two relays. Would I need a separate 5vdc source to trigger? Or can I take 5v off the smooth stepper?
    Shaun

skmetal7

Your Drive setting numbers should be ok with no load on the motors,( so the Rattling noise is the motors banging together) When they are correctly mounted they will be completely different, so you have 40 25 & 1 to 8 in the top row in the Dmm Drive setup/tuning software, the third row you want the Drive number set starting at ( 0 ) for X axes ( 1 ) for Y axes ( 2 ) for Z axes, the next setting should be 127 then the gear number set to 500 this is the only setting you have to do, for Step/Dir control, of cause Pulse/Dir needs to be checked to run , which you have already done

As for a Relay I'm waiting for some Solid State Relays to come in, to do the same as what you want to do, so I will let you know how that part works out
    Mactec54

Finally got to mounting all the components in the controller cabinet. And started wiring everything. Have a ways to go yet, but figuring out how to run the wiring is pretty much done; that's half the battle.

I replaced the capacitors on the breakout board with good Nichicons. I didn't like the cheap Chinese caps they were using. And I am not using the Meanwell knock off power supplies they included (MiWi??? LOL). I found a 48v 17a Xp Power power supply on ebay. Much higher quality.
    Shaun

I replaced the capacitors on the breakout board with good Nichicons. I didn't like the cheap Chinese caps they were using. And I am not using the Meanwell knock off power supplies they included (MiWi??? LOL). I found a 48v 17a Xp Power power supply on ebay. Much higher quality.
    I think you will find the Power Supplies are Meanwell, I have never seen them use anything else, as far as the caps go, there are hundreds of there boards being used, with zero problems, replacing anything is up to you, but what you have will work, without components being replaced
    Mactec54

There is no way that this is a genuine MeanWell PSU. The fit and finish is definitely not MeanWell quality. And they don't abbreviate there name "MiWi." Total Chinese knockoff. But anyway, I wouldn't have room inside the enclosure for two of these supplies.

Edit: it's actually a mingwei psu

MIWI D-120A switching mode power supply,Dual/two output power supplies, View switching mode power supply, MiWi Product Details from Yueqing Mingwei Electric Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com
    Shaun

[QUOTE=skmetal7;1621308]There is no way that this is a genuine MeanWell PSU. The fit and finish is definitely not MeanWell quality. And they don't abbreviate there name "MiWi." Total Chinese knockoff. But anyway, I wouldn't have room inside the enclosure for two of these supplies

It is obvious by the name it is not a Mean Well, it is not a Knockoff just a different manufacture, there are a lot of different manufactures that make power supplies, I'm sure Dmm would not of sent them to use with their system, if they were not up to the job

Did this power supply fail in some way, or just in your mind that it is no good, you had the choice when you ordered from Dmm to not get the power supplies,or any part of their system that you did not like/want
    Mactec54

Ok so I got everything wired up and I had it running pretty well on Tuesday, besides a spindle problem, but I'll address that later.

Now I seem to have an issue with the z axis servo. When I turn on the controller the servo rotates back and forth rapidly. I'm not sure what caused this... I was running a program Tuesday night, then Wednesday I tried to jog the axes and the z and x wouldn't move, the y was fine though... did a power cycle, then when it turned on, the z servo started shaking. I don't have anything connected to the mill yet. I'm still bench testing the electronics.
    Shaun

skmetal7

It sounds like it could be more than one thing, first check the wiring is correct, you may have some bad connections, the Drive Settings may not be correct as well,disconnect the X & Y axes from the Breakout Board, then turn those ( 2 ) axes off in Mach, change Encoder cables for any of the other axes cables you have, that are working, Breakout board to Drive cable as well,Just change one at a time, Don't do the screws up in the plugs between the Breakout Board & the Encoder cable, I have seen this distort the plug, & cause a bad connection

For start up your computer should be on & Mach running before you power up the servo system, this is the correct way

If the Z axes can run with the Dmm Test Software then you have a problem with something else in your system

Some clear photos would be good
    Mactec54

I have narrowed it down to the drive. I switched the servo to a different drive and it doesn't shake. And I've tried a different servo on this drive and it shakes. It seems like it's hunting for a position, then over compensating. It does this when connected to mach3 or when its connected to the DMM software. It's really hard to hold the servo and get the drive information, but I did.

So far only the Z axis does this, the X axis is kind of weird. If you try to turn the shaft it feels "lazy" I guess that's the best way I can describe it. I tries to fight you turning it, but it moves about 10 degrees before it harder to turn.

I just turned on the drive when connected to the Dmm software and the servo stayed still until I tried to use the "constant speed" control box, then it started shaking again. Do you think the "C-grid" connectors might have a bad connection? It seems like the one for the rs-232 is a bit flakey, sometimes the drive saves the new parameters, sometimes it doesn't.

Ok I tried using "default cons" and now it seems to work. Used the sinosudial control box and the servo responded well, also with the constant speed control box.... I'm really confused.
    Shaun

skmetal7

If your Drive settings are what you have posted, I would say you should have some problems

The top row will need to be at least ( Main Gain )= 65 to 68-----(Speed Gain )=28-------( Integration Gain )=12

The third row Drive ID #2 for Z axes---( ON Position )=127-------( Gear # )= 500 this Row should/needs to be the same for all the Drives except for the Drive numbers which start at ( 0 ) ( 1 ) ( 2 )

Then it needs to be set to Pulse/Dir, to run with Mach3, RS232 is only for test running

You should also be test running it in the constant speed, just put a low RPM number, you can forward & reverse it from there

There is nothing else to set or change, don't forget to save the settings, then check to see if they are what you have set, before you leave the Dmm software
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drive Setup-1.PNG  
    Mactec54

Hmm, I did have the drive settings diferent to what I recieved from the drive. It's like the drive somehow changed its own settings. I had no idea the main gain needed to be set so high. And I wasn't sure about the ON Position setting.

I'll try these settings for all drives and see what happens.
    Shaun

Hmm, I did have the drive settings diferent to what I recieved from the drive. It's like the drive somehow changed its own settings. I had no idea the main gain needed to be set so high. And I wasn't sure about the ON Position setting.

I'll try these settings for all drives and see what happens.
    The settings you had back in post 9/10 were when the motors were not connected to your machine, Main Gain was around 40, if you are now connected to your machine 65 for the Main Gain is a good starting point

Once you have set the parameters Save them, then Read them again, that is the only way to know if the Drive has set correctly or not

One thing that can mess with the Drives is if you have the power supply for the Drives Grounded incorrectly, it will damage the Drives
    Mactec54

Page 1 of 2 12