585,668 active members*
4,205 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Weird 4th axis issue. . .

Weird 4th axis issue. . .

I recently the Pulsar (stepper version) and tried to hook up my previous 4" home made 4th axis, using a new Leadshine driver just like whats in the machine.

I tuned the 4th in Mach using the steps/unit calibrator in it works perfectly in both directions.

But when I use the jog keys, it only sometimes responds. Sometimes it only responds in one direction.

And then using the MDI commands it doesn't respond half the time, and doesn't seem to go the proper distance the other half the time.

Meanwhile it always works perfectly using the calibration steps/unit utility.

I don't hear any squealing from the stepper to indicate the accel/velocity is too fast. When it does work, it's nice and smooth.

I don't think any wires are loose as nothing moves it to change whether or not it works or not.

Any ideas? I'm thinking ESS issue, but not sure what to try?

Thanks!
    Also here's my new enclosure I built (just showing off. . .)

Attachment 267636

Re: Weird 4th axis issue. . .

Nice enclosure.
    I don't have a clue about the 4th axis issues though. .
    Lee

Are there any settings in ESS for pulse width? Leadshine drivers need DIR to be set at least 5us before the step pulse and step pulses need to be at least 2.5us. Sounds like you may be running just borderline on timing, but since the normal axes work maybe there's the possibility of different settings for the different axes?

Yeah interesting - I see the settings in Mach motor tuning page but not sure where they are in ESS plugin.

just a question I have is are you using usb devices like a key board or pendant< when mine gets wet especially the keyboard all responses from machine are lagged just like your saying!!! key logs short and cpu lags big time... I have no issues with ess... usb anything sucks if you ask me

Well I "think" I have it figured it out and as usual it's operator error. I was thinking that any A command would be incremental (like an idiot) even though I know x and y coordinates are absolute. So when it didn't move when I repeatedly typed in A90, that's because it was already at 90deg. Anyways the MDI commands now work fine, I just type in A + the degrees I want and it goes.

The jogging with the keyboard still is a bit funky, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't? But now at least I think I can trust the MDI commands and therefore G code. Now I just have to figure out how to generate 4th axis G code!!