585,599 active members*
3,714 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Before I pull the trigger on a build .

Before I pull the trigger on a build .

Thanks all for giving me to many options to choose from .

A dilemma is ongoing , but leaning towards Linear Stages from robotic stations . Reasons being , less bits and pieces to mess with . They are already pre-packaged in the stage . Matching up the ball screws 16 x 5 mm pitch in matching sets is a bit of a pain in the . Browsing the posts , happened to come across Don's build and then it stopped . http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-wo...tuators-2.html

Would like to see his end result from his concept but . Motor configs is another dilemma . Neo7CNC and his tweaking to Schneider M drive has left an impressive impression . The Z stage being delivered this coming week already has an M 17 stepper on it already , so keeping it a uniformed build . Why not stay with Schneider and go either 23 s or 34 s . Mounting brackets would have to be gotten to match up the bolt pattern and then follow up with motor coupler .

The most annoying part was finding out the cost of support brackets to hold the X axis to the Y . $600 - $700 smackers . Forget that nonsense if keeping with factory built norms .

Win 32 bit comp system with Gecko G540 4 axis & Mach 3 , Vectric , VFD and spindle Professional High Quality CNC spindle motor. Delta VFD-M / Inverter 2.2kW 220V 1 - 3 Phase | UgraCNC.com

Any input is more than welcome .

The actual foot print would be 5 ft x 5 ft but still leave room for sizing up or down from moving the stages wider or narrower , for home shop . Shying away from the bulk of a non modular system ( frame included ) .

Or is this build going to get out of hand ?

Re: Before I pull the trigger on a build .

Just a few years ago you could by a 5' actuator with ground ballscrews for dirt cheap. Now everyone who has one thinks it's gold and prices them as such. Most are made for servo and not hole compatible with steppers.

Yup , they all want to make the big bucks all at once . Hoarders I tell you . Good and bad .

Bad being , when they strip em and part them out ,

Quote Originally Posted by Kru82 View Post
    Yup , they all want to make the big bucks all at once . Hoarders I tell you . Good and bad .

Bad being , when they strip em and part them out ,
    I work on a lot of this stuff at work and frankly I can't imagine these guys making money stripping linear slides. This especially when the stuff removed is often clapped out.

Asset auctions can be profitable if the turn around time is short , being able to get sets that match is tough . I can understand they are in it for business . For example , the usable parts to make a decent cnc from the image would be ? See image Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57 (8).JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	267722 Here is the item list break down for the skidded item Included:

4-axis Robot Modules
    (1) X axis 78cm travel Rexroth CKK 15-110 Compact Module with direct drive J331-AB23001 motor
    (1) Y axis 50cm travel Rexroth CKK 15-110 Compact Module with enclosed belt drive motor
    (1) Z axis 13cm travel Rexroth compact module (can't see label) with belt-drive motor
    (1) Z axis 40mm travel SMC MXS25-40B air cylinder
    (1) Theta axis direct-drive AB23001 motor
    (1) Robohand RHC-2-R hand changer (robot side)
    (2) Robohand RHC-2-T hand changer (tool side, one has label worn off)
    Control computer modules
    (1) Intel D945 series motherboard
    (1) SIIG Cyberpro JD1153900239 JJ-E40011-S1
    (1) PCIcan HS network card
    (2) National Instruments PCI-6509
    (1) National Instruments PCI-6014
    Control cabinet modules
    (4) Copley ACJ-090-12 motor drives
    (1) National Instruments TBX-68 terminal board
    (1) Pilz PNOZ X3P safety relay (3NO/1NC)
    (3) OPTO22 SNAPD12M backplanes with 29 modules, (can only see the ends, DC inputs/outputs)
    Other included parts
    (1) Linksys USB hub
    (1) Netgear DS104 Ethernet hub
    (2) Ergotron keyboard/display mount arms
    (2) Accusynk LCD52VM monitors (on mount arms)
    (2) Emergency stop/go button boxes (on mount arms)
    (2) Keyboards (on mount arms)
    (1) National Instruments cable 184749C-02
    (1) Black Box VGA splitter
    Miscellaneous cables, wiring terminals, and circuit breakers
    Specifications:

4-axis Cartesian Robot
    Travel: 78cm X, 50cm Y, 13cm + 4cm Z, Stop-limited Rotation
    Bosch Rexroth 15-110 series linear modules on each axis
    DC servomotors
    Robohand quick-change end effector/tool changers
    Control computer with two monitors/keyboards
    Motor drives and I/O modules included
    Emergency stop buttons

Then you have the option of this , Attachment 267724

Items included Specifications:

Manufacturer: Universal Instruments Corporation
    Dual independent X/Y stages/cartesian robot module
    Lower axis travel: 34.5" (remove middle stops, 40" looks possible)
    Upper axis travel: 29.5"
    Each axis can be moved independently (four total axes)
    Mounting surfaces on BOTH sides of each stage
    Heidenhain linear scales
    Pacific Scientific servomotors
    Direct-drive upper axes, belt-drive lower axes
    Lots of cables and some air hoses for you to use
    Igus e-chain cable management
    Adjustable end-of-travel limit switches
    2-section recirculating ball bearing ballscrew nuts
    Lower ballscrews: 1" diameter, 1 thread/inch
    Upper ballscrews: 0.79" diameter, 1.2 threads/inch
    Model numbers we can read on the encoders:
    Heidenhain LIDA 201 ML 1440mm Id.Nr.214 517 32
    Heidenhain LIDA 201 ML 770mm Id.Nr. 333 144-10
    Heidenhain LIDA 19/100 Id.Nr.233 039 01
    Heidenhain EXE 610C Id.Nr.263 383 01v
    Linear guide models:
    Lower linear rails: Union Tool TG35-1693
    Upper linear rails: pairs of Union Tool TGH3-1005 SP
    Lower Motors:
    Pacific Scientific Regal R46SSNA-SS-NS-NV-02
    Tcs: 64lb-in. (7.2Nm)
    Ke: 84.2V/KRPM, 0.8V/RAD/SEC
    Ics: 10.4A
    RL: 1.5 Ohms
    Upper motors:
    Pacific Scientific R33SSNC-SS-NS-NV-02
    Tcs: 21lb-in. (2.4Nm)
    Ke: 45V/KRPM, 0.42 V/RAD/SEC
    Ics: 6.1A
    RL: 2.8 Ohms
    Outside dimensions (approximate): 70" x 62" x 19", 1000 lbs

Some of have seen episodes of storage wars on tv , where items get bought up by those that have to have it all . ( The Dave Hesters ) The trophies they have gotten sit for over a year becoming more useless for resale for the sake of the big dollars they saw . Scrap metal prices will never get them their fair return and reposting the ads on ebay will not sell them since they still ask the gold item prices . So good luck to the hoarders out there .

Then you have the option of this , Attachment 267724

Items included Specifications:

Manufacturer: Universal Instruments Corporation
    Dual independent X/Y stages/cartesian robot module
    Lower axis travel: 34.5" (remove middle stops, 40" looks possible)
    Upper axis travel: 29.5"
    Each axis can be moved independently (four total axes)
    Mounting surfaces on BOTH sides of each stage
    Heidenhain linear scales
    Pacific Scientific servomotors
    Direct-drive upper axes, belt-drive lower axes
    Lots of cables and some air hoses for you to use
    Igus e-chain cable management
    Adjustable end-of-travel limit switches
    2-section recirculating ball bearing ballscrew nuts
    Lower ballscrews: 1" diameter, 1 thread/inch
    Upper ballscrews: 0.79" diameter, 1.2 threads/inch
    Model numbers we can read on the encoders:
    Heidenhain LIDA 201 ML 1440mm Id.Nr.214 517 32
    Heidenhain LIDA 201 ML 770mm Id.Nr. 333 144-10
    Heidenhain LIDA 19/100 Id.Nr.233 039 01
    Heidenhain EXE 610C Id.Nr.263 383 01v
    Linear guide models:
    Lower linear rails: Union Tool TG35-1693
    Upper linear rails: pairs of Union Tool TGH3-1005 SP
    Lower Motors:
    Pacific Scientific Regal R46SSNA-SS-NS-NV-02
    Tcs: 64lb-in. (7.2Nm)
    Ke: 84.2V/KRPM, 0.8V/RAD/SEC
    Ics: 10.4A
    RL: 1.5 Ohms
    Upper motors:
    Pacific Scientific R33SSNC-SS-NS-NV-02
    Tcs: 21lb-in. (2.4Nm)
    Ke: 45V/KRPM, 0.42 V/RAD/SEC
    Ics: 6.1A
    RL: 2.8 Ohms
    Outside dimensions (approximate): 70" x 62" x 19", 1000 lbs
    Cost?

The asking cost of that one is 2499.99 but it has been idle sitting in high humidity near austin tx , Looks to be from an Aerotech model missing the granite slab .( Aerotech launches PlanarHDX for high-dynamics and ultra-precise motion performance | MFGTECHUPDATE ) ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7M2RIv4SrI#t=38 )

It is built like a beast but after making the calls for info , " we will have to dig it out " .

The one with the 2 monitors on it , also sitting for a year same " dig it out " 2025.99

Those pics really are not what they look like now .

The asking cost of that one is 2499.99 but it has been idle sitting in high humidity near austin tx , Looks to be from an Aerotech model missing the granite slab .( Aerotech launches PlanarHDX for high-dynamics and ultra-precise motion performance | MFGTECHUPDATE ) ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7M2RIv4SrI#t=38 )

It is built like a beast but after making the calls for info , " we will have to dig it out " .

The one with the 2 monitors on it , also sitting for a year same " dig it out " 2025.99

Those pics really are not what they look like now .
    Im trying to comprehend how these are "less bits and pieces to work with..."

Less pieces to assemble than on a diy package . 2 Y assemblies already built , 1 X assembly , 1 Z assembly . The basic parts are all the same but less assembly time with actuators other than mounting the X axis to the Y with 2 brackets and the Z to the X . Cartesian Gantry , 4 main assemblies pre packaged . No mounting of rails to extrusions , side gantry supports , ballscrews and so forth .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parker_Daedal_404250XRMS_D3HL2C5M3_View1.jpg 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	268976

Less pieces to assemble than on a diy package . 2 Y assemblies already built , 1 X assembly , 1 Z assembly . The basic parts are all the same but less assembly time with actuators other than mounting the X axis to the Y with 2 brackets and the Z to the X . Cartesian Gantry , 4 main assemblies pre packaged . No mounting of rails to extrusions , side gantry supports , ballscrews and so forth .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parker_Daedal_404250XRMS_D3HL2C5M3_View1.jpg 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	268976
    You only need that style actuator for your gantry. For the "y" axis you can use 2 monorail carriers which you can find way cheaper.

Attachment 269088

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/steppe...per-mach3.html

Older thread but this is what I am going for with the image . Cost wise can become an issue as you have alluded to . Some are reasonable but hard to find . Considering that complete cnc's can run way up there in cost 6k plus . A few people out there still want to sell theirs but without the comp and controls for the machine . Parting them out for more dollars . .

I,m sure a few guys have done the same config awhile back and have been happy with their choice as others are with theirs . We have moved 3 times in 14 yrs and moving a big bulky machine isn't part of an enjoyable experience so that is why I am leaning for the modular config , for the reason it is less bulk and weight . Pieces are coming together slowly , Have the Z axis , the Y axis is in shipping this week and just the X . Controls are next on the list but that and it's cost is pretty much constant cost , software also is consistent price wise .

Well this is what is taking shape from squeezing the trigger . Went with Parker , series 404 on the Z and 406 on the X . The rest 2 Y actuators are showing up later this week along with extrusion , so it will be a 4 axis machine as modular as one can get . From California to Maryland , Alabama and Minnesota . The screws and bearings are in great shape surprisingly , as is the rest of the actuators . If the height of the Z needs to be adjusted it is easy as transferring bolts/screws to a different location on the X plate . Basic foot print is around 3 x 3 but like a table saw , it have an in feed and out feed extensions that are drop down to be out of the way for shorter materials .

Have to pass on a big thanks esp to Christian and Matt from Next Day Automation as well as the rest of their crew . Yeah I could of dropped a whole crap load of cash down for what some were trying to sell me straight off but this so far is so under what I was dreading it to come out as .

Attachment 270244Attachment 270246Attachment 270248

To keep the servos or go for steppers is yet to be decided , then the 4 axis control box . There is no rush to complete or I would of dropped the dough and suffered with lack of support a lot of people are dealing with lately .

If anyone is interested in building their own mini cnc as David / Neo7 has done with THK KR33A actuators in and around the Dallas Fort Worth area . I happen to have 7 actuators that would be for local pick up . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyyrDvbnOWs Their in very good shape all around Cool Muscle servos attached to all . The Parker actuators trumped the THK's for size sad to say and they should be in the garage tomorrow . Message me if your interested in the 7 THK's or 3 of them or 4 , your option .Attachment 270356Attachment 270358Attachment 270360Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150226_202655.jpg 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	270362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150226_202720.jpg 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	270364

Does a person put it down to karma or what . UPS has lost a pallet in Kansas with the rest of the parts ( actuators and extrusion , motors ) . WOW it was scanned coming in to the dock but then the freaking aliens just made it vanish , lol .

UPDATE Locator team has verified .

Missing UPS shipment of parts located . They are still in Minneapolis , They scanned and shipped the paper work with no skid , Kansas UPS received and scanned the paperwork and no skid . Beyond face palm moment of what Brown can do for you . Classic reason why the gene pool is over populated with something other than ??

UPS has still no info on the materials they lost , they dropped off the map in keeping in touch . Next Day Automation is behaving in the same manner now too this week . That praise for their help in getting the materials is getting erased by their lack of performance now . Refund forth coming is the next step for the following week . They can make the claim to UPS to track and recover their goods , will see how Next Day performs . Surely not impressed , since local non support is following in the foot steps of the over seas product . How can UPS ship paper work only to 2 different cities for this product to accompany it ???Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.jpg 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	271388