584,858 active members*
4,478 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hyundai Hit18s

I have been looking around for a machine with 60mm or bigger spindle bore, I have come across a 1994 HIT18s with 840c/611a control for a price that sounds to good to be true. Machine was disconnected from power 6months ago due to the guy shutting down the machine shop side of the business and this being the last piece of equipment left he is keen to move it sooner rather than later.

i cant look at it cause it is across the other side of the country.

it has been reported to be in great condition with the only know fault to be the gearbox on the tool eye has failed so it will not come down. Can this be done manually?

due to the power been disconnected the batteries in the control would probably be flat so the control needs to be rebooted. i have spoken to the siemens tech and he is able to go to the machine run a power cable to it power up the control and reboot the hard drive, change the batteries, test machine functions and take a backup image of the hard drive prior to transport. The owner is happy for all this to happen so that kind of makes me think the machine is a good thing.

while the cable is run to the machine for testing the axis will have to be moved and locked for the 2000km trip. my thoughts were to make an adapter to slide into the morse taper of the tailstock and slide into the boring bar tool holder effectively locking the tailstock and turret together. then i assume there is some way of locking down the tailstock so both the stock and turret cant move in Z together?

any thoughts on the above guys? have i missed anything?

is there any particular part of the machine i should be paying special attention to?

would my locking down plan of the axis work?

and last but now least are these hyundai machines a good thing? i know they are basically a mazak with a siemens control and i assume the hyundai brand and siemens control is what kills the resale on these things. i wont be using it heaps just on jobs that need the large bore, lucky to be used a couple of hours a week on average.

Thanks

Re: Hyundai Hit18s

I've clamped a bar through the boring bar holder with the chuck before in a pinch, but personally I'd try to make brackets or at least wood blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    I've clamped a bar through the boring bar holder with the chuck before in a pinch, but personally I'd try to make brackets or at least wood blocks.
    Yes but not easy to do when I am 2000km away from it but I can easy turn up the mt adapter to go I to the boring bar holder.

Probably be easier and cheaper to have a local service tech just go prep the machine for shipment. Don't forget on a lathe, your not just stopping x from moving, but also Z. I would worry about the taper pulling out during a stop or turn.

You (or the tech you hire) can go through the back and turn the screws by hand to move the X-Z axii to any position. The tail stock has two hydraulic cylinders that clamp it tight when you have hydraulic pressure. Other than that, it is just a hydraulic motor with a chain that moves the t-stock in and out.
    My HiT18s came from Texas to Florida and there was nothing locking down any of the axii. Machine was fine.
    Regarding the tool eye, my machine lost it's eye before I got it. It is easy to to touch off tools without it.
    If you are not aquainted with the Seimens control, you will have a bit of a learning curve.
    The HiT18s is a good machine.
    Regards, Ray
    ​"There is no such thing as a gun free zone."
    Ray Brandes, Ray-Vin.Com, PCB, FL 32408 USA

If the tool eye will not come down, first thing to check is if a wire came off. Look for a capacitor on the back door of the electronics enclosure. My HIT=-18S was shipped MI to PA with nothing locked and all axis work fine.

I also have a lathe HIT 18s with Siem840C but has no hard disk drive, anyone can sell me a clone of the hard disk drive

TKS

Quote Originally Posted by megaman26 View Post
    I also have a lathe HIT 18s with Siem840C but has no hard disk drive, anyone can sell me a clone of the hard disk drive

TKS
    What version is your Lathe. Give us what you can get.

Hyundai model Hit18S serial No 22 x 6 - 34 / control sinumerik 840C

Quote Originally Posted by megaman26 View Post
    Hyundai model Hit18S serial No 22 x 6 - 34 / control sinumerik 840C
    What is the date of manufacture? Just trying to see if my data will be even close to yours. My 840C control is DOS based not Windows. Mine uses DR DOS 6.0

Hi .
    can someone provide me file anw_prog for hit18s?
    thanks