584,833 active members*
5,612 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > G0704 stock spindle control board to mach 3 via C32 board.

G0704 stock spindle control board to mach 3 via C32 board.

I have a G0704 Mill that has a control box with a C32 board inside. I am trying to figure out how to control the spindle with mach3 using the stock Grizzly control board. From looking at the KBIC
    SCR DC Motor Speed Controls, it looks very similar to the Grizzly board with the P1,P2, and P3 inputs for the potentiometer. Here is the wiring diagram from CNC4PC on how to wire the KBIC with a RJ45 conection. Looks like to me all you need to do is wire the boards alike. Any inputs? I also am wondering would I just leave the power switch on the mill ON all the time so Mach 3 can turn the spindle on and off.

Attachment 267910

Re: G0704 stock spindle control board to mach 3 via C32 board.

IIRC Grizzly's speed control is a copy of a KBIC. So it would most likely work. I think MHackney even figured out how to use the tach signal and share it with the onboard tach and Mach.

And yes to the leaving the main spindle power switch on so Mach can control it. You will also have to have a pulley set up for it all to work.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Ok well still cant get the spindle to work so need help. I have read the PDF files on the C32 rev.5 but still cant figure it out. I have wired it up like the KBIC board with the RJ45 cable to the 10vdc analog off of the C32 board. I am missing something here for sure. I cant even get any voltage off of the 10vdc output terminal. I am not real sure what to set the output port and pin to in Mach either. Could be the problem but I have just maybe not read the right thing yet.

Any help out there would be great.

Jeff

You wont get any voltage until the right pins and parameters are installed and an S command has been issued.

Output port will be Port 1 most likely unless you are running ESS or a dual port for some reason. Never mind, the C32 is a dual port board. Did you read the parts about inputs and outputs or download the sample xml?

It appears the C32 has an onboard dc-dc converter for all analog output signals. Usually an additional power supply is needed.

Ok I am using the ESS attached to the C32 board. I have wired the ethernet connection to the 10v analog and to the #1 relay. A pass through from the control box with the other ethernet connection going into the rear circuit board of the mill per the PDF on the C32 board from CNC4PC.com. Have not had a chance to check it yet but we will see if it works. Still learning hope nothing gets burnt up...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ballistic42 View Post
    Ok I am using the ESS attached to the C32 board. I have wired the ethernet connection to the 10v analog and to the #1 relay. A pass through from the control box with the other ethernet connection going into the rear circuit board of the mill per the PDF on the C32 board from CNC4PC.com. Have not had a chance to check it yet but we will see if it works. Still learning hope nothing gets burnt up...lol.

I use the C10/C6 combo , which is similar, and I run two output pins from my C10 to my C6, and then I use an analog connection from the C6 to the KBIC board. I followed Hoss' wiring to the KBIC board and it works well.

My C32 board has the C6 funtion 10v analog with trim pot. I would like to see how HOSS set his up or look at a wiring diagram. Would anyone know where to find one? I think I am on the right track but just need more info. From what I can tell from the C32 wiring diagram for the KBIC 120 ethernet connection from CNC4PC, the ethernet cable just replaces the G0704 Potentiometer and mach3 sends the signals to the P1, P2, I1, and I2. It would be nice to have the mill spindle motor run CCW for tapping down the road, so that brings up another detail.

If you go on G0704.com, projects section, one of his projects is spindle speed control, he links to a pdf for the wiring to the KBIC controller, that is what I used

Found the wiring diagram, Thanks. Just have to figure out how to set the step and direction from the C32 board or mach 3 not sure.

Also I believe you can use a DPDT switch to route your onboard pot from CNC to manual control.

I believe if you look at the C6 pdf from the cnc4pc site, you can figure out how to wire the c6, which should be similar, they show you the Mach3 setup as well, which kind of gives you what you need in that your board has power, and you can see how they setup the pins

Fastest1 thanks for the input! I think here in two days I will have this mill up and running with the spindle controlled through mach3 and have the 24 volt limit/home switches done.

Jeff

Any more details on how you ended up doing it? I am having the same issue, it looks to me like you just tear out the second circuit board, the main switch, the potentiometer, and the direction switch. It looks like all the second board does is fit all those components in and provide an output for the optical RPM sensor.