584,802 active members*
4,742 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Recommended clearances around machine

Recommended clearances around machine

I'm planning on building a 4896 here in the next month or so, and after looking at the dimensions of the machine, I'm trying to get my shop set up to accommodate the unit. I think what would work best for me is to have one corner of the unit in the corner of my room. It would be ideal to leave about 1' of clearance on both of the sides along the wall. Is this possible / recommended?

I've looked at some build logs where they appear to have the A side pushed close to a wall, so I'm hoping at least that part is okay. I can deal pretty well with a single side being along a wall, but two would be ideal.

If this won't work, can someone give me some real-world recommended clearances around the machine? Is there something I should really be looking to avoid when I'm arranging my shop? I have to move some other fairly large equipment around, so I would like to put some thought into this and only do it once.

Thanks fellas!

Re: Recommended clearances around machine

I've ran machines boxed in under a table for noise suppression before. As long as they don't bump into anything and wires don't get caught on anything you don't need much clearance around a machine for day to day operation. Maintenance can be a pain though if things get too tight.. A thing to consider is how you plan to run your dust collection. That is something I would plan in advance. Another thing to consider is how you will go about securing your work pieces. I use tslots so I have to be able to reach all over my work area.

Chris

Ah, good point. Hadn't given much thought to having to get around the unit to secure the actual work. I have seen some setups here where guys have used spoilboards with pegholes in them, and I'm heavily leaning in that direction. Having access to at least the 2 long sides of the machine would be very helpful there.

As far as loading material in, I'm assuming I can run the gantry to one side or the other so that I don't need a full sheet clearance in front of the machine, correct? I can lift it in on the X axis and then slide the piece (if I'm cutting full sheets) over to where I'll secure it.

I have nothing but space above the machine, so I'm planning on running 4" pipe above the machine to my dust collector, which is outside my shop.

Thanks!

Sounds like it should work. Man handling 4x8 sheets of 3/4 plywood alone isn't the most fun thing to do but when a cnc machine is involved, it's always work it .