584,830 active members*
5,783 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Max Rigid Tapping RPM?

Max Rigid Tapping RPM?

I typically run my taps at 500 rpm in aluminium and I run all form taps. I just use that setting for all taps from 2-56 thru 1/4-20 and I don't ususally have to run bigger taps than that.

At any rate, I have a job running now that needs 1000 2-56 holes tapped 0.3" deep. The cycle works great at 500 rpm as usual, but its taking up a lot of the % of the cycle time. So I went and increased the rpm.

I was reading in the fadal manuals about tapping at 2000 RPM.

I conservatively tried to run at 1500 RPM; the spindle freaked out, and threw a c-axis overload fault. This is disappointing considering the manual lists 2000rpm like its casual to do so (no max speed stated as far as I found in the manual so far.. will keep looking).

So, I tried again at 1000 RPM, and it worked, but it seems jerky on reverse where the spindle speed overshoots, then undershoots, then levels out. By the time this all happens, the hole is finished, and probably has loose threads. I tried a screw in the hole and couldn't get it to strip out at all / my allen key slipped before the screw would strip the hole - so it seems like a good tapped hole despite the spindle control ringing.

I backed it off to 800 RPM, and have been running fine all day, even if the spindle is slightly ringy, and the cycle time improved thusly.

Any thoughts out there? I have a 20 HP high torque 1992 VMC 4020, and it has a newer / replaced drive - it now has a blador H2 vector drive. Is there some control tuning I can do? Last time I tried messing with that baldor H2 I ruined by low speed belt - so I'm pretty hesitant to go pressing buttons on that drive without knowing exactly what to do.

Re: Max Rigid Tapping RPM?

I found in the manual (modern pdf one) that the max rigid tap speed for my machine (a 10000 rpm spindle) should be 3000 rpm. I suppose its possible that my older machine with its -4 cards cannot handle these speeds for some reason.

so, since it doesn't work at 1500 rpm, that concerns me. I bet my drive needs to be tuned or something. If anyone's been through this or knows how to tune up the baldor H2 drive. please let me know. thanks!

Re: Max Rigid Tapping RPM?

I'm new to the fadal, but getting my machine cleaned up and checked out I had some motor problems also with the control and communication to the spindle drive out of whack. After digging in the service manuals and disassemlby of the vector drive to look at it.. I found this... First I had a burnt wire in the vector drive, it was a small wire routed right over some resistors that got too hot. It was easy to fix that wire, but it didn't solve my problem. Later I found a procedure the book calls, " Auto Tuning / Zero Balance " It was easy to follow this procedure using the control pad on the Baldor vector drive. (note I have a vmc 15 with a 7500 spindle and a single belt. High and low switching is done with relays. ..... Anyway, this procedure is supposed to Null or balance the control voltage signal (ie...-10 to 0 to +10 volts) command with the actual voltage the drive is using to control the motor. The issue with mine was that the previous owner was hooked up to 208V and when I changed the jumpers on the transformer it messed it up.. (even though the end result is around 230 out of the transformer) it was enough to mess up the drive. So maybe you could try this Null and it might clean up your drive signal voltage reference that the vector drive is seeing. It is a thought.. It was Section 08 : Spindle Drive Systems of a maintenance manual I got off the FADAL CNC website. Goodluck. P.S. There are also some jumper settings for rigid tapping on the drive depending on what machine you have, The chart and wiring connections are shown in that chapter also.
    Tryon