585,578 active members*
4,177 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 17 of 17 7151617

The Big move!

Hello Zoners!
    Wow its been a while since my last post. I must start by apologizing for not replying to the previous few questions.
    ELM3060, The only reason I didn't put a brake on my Z axis is that I simply didn't have one! I made all my servos from brushed DC motors and optical encoders. I do plan to one day put linear guides on the Z axis knee and install a servo with a brake but not just yet.

Over the past few months I have been busy setting up my home machine shop. The walls in the shed are now insulated, fully sheeted and painted so it was time to move the last of my machines to my place. As always, everything I do has a catch! The manual AL-340 Lathe and HM-52 Mill are sitting in a galvanized sheet metal tray I made so I didn't trash the concrete floor in my brother in-law's shed where the machines have lived for the last few years. I had to remove both machines to the carport at my place, then modify 1 corner of the tray and transport it to my shed. 4 of us picked up the tray and carry it into the shed to be placed into one corner. After that I carefully carried the Lathe and Mill into the shed with my skidsteer and placed them in the tray. Here are some pictures.

Chich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1. HM52 in old location.JPG   2. The Carefull Balancing act.JPG   3. HM52 just landed in its new home.JPG   4. AL-340A Being loaded.JPG  

5. AL-340A on its way to the new shed .JPG   6. New Shed layout.JPG   7. New Shed layout.JPG  

Awesome !!! Looks like you have been busy lately

That shed is far too clean by the way, I think we should hold the next CNC BBQ there if you are going to have that much free space !

Russell.

Fired up the old HM-52 today to drill a few holes. Since moving to my house I haven't had a chance to re-connect anything yet so for now sadly it's a glorified drill press. A HAND OPERATED drill press I might add as I haven't re-connected the cnc. Ah well. The Wet season is fast approaching so who knows I may have time to set it up again.

Chich

I would like to say "glad to see you are still around". This is an incredibly valuable and informative thread and I appreciate all the effort you have gone thru to document and share your experience.

Arvid

Judging from the dates on the post I've received, I am wondering if this thread is still in operation.
    Has Chich2 got his workshop sorted out yet, this and many more questions, what's the latest?

mallala_john

Haa haa, Yes im still around. Accurate call though. I've been heavily renovating my hose so ALL of my projects have come to a screaming halt until I move in. Some exciting news is that allong the way I have been very kindly been given an old vertical machining centre!!!!!! Very excited! It's not running but looks to be in very good mechanical condition so stay tuned in a few months and i'll start a thread on its re-build.

Chich

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Hi again Chich, How long was the "hose" you are renovating? :-) :-)
    Hope all the jobs in the house are now completed and you can get to
    THE Important stuff in the W/S.

Saw an article on replace the quill bearings on the mill for taper ones.
    Whats your thoughts on that? Might make mine run a little quieter.

All the best John

Re: Hafco Metal Master HM-52 CNC Conversion

Hello everyone!!!!!
    Once again, it's been a while since I've posted on this thread. The main reason is because of my next project. I've started a thread of restoring a Yoshida machining centre! Here is the link:

YOSHIDA YMC-60V Vertical Machining Centre Retrofit

Hope you all enjoy.

Page 17 of 17 7151617