585,717 active members*
4,143 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > What should the drawbar pressure be on a Fadal VMC 15?

What should the drawbar pressure be on a Fadal VMC 15?

What should the drawbar pressure be on a 1994 Fadal VMC 15? I'm using a clamprite gauge and I'm only getting 750 lbs. My 2006 Haas TM-1 has 1000 lbs. A friend's 2001 Fadal 3016L has 900, but it's not a new mill. Anyone know if there is a service spec?

Fadal had told me that 1500lbs on a locking drawbar was minimum, and 600lbs on a non-locking

Edster--
    If you have the non-locking drawbar then the retention pressure should be between 700 to 1000 psi max. The locking drawbar will be between 1650 and 2000 psi.

Neal

Wow, I guess it is in spec. Any Ideas why it would be on the low end? Btw. I replaced the washers, drawbar, collar and balls in the spindle a few months ago. I didn't have the clamprite gauge then so I couldn't see what the old pressure was.

Smile

If the bellville stack is on the low end of the range, you can add shim spacers to bring it up a little. Call me at Fadal Service and I can send you the data on how to doit.

Neal

Well we messed with it all day and ended up with 900 psi by adding two .060 shims we made. Neal, I couldn't figure a way to measure between the retainer and spindle with a tool in place. There is too much stuff in the way and the retainer sets pretty low in the pulley. I'm hoping your method is for people without a gauge. Btw, how many springs should be in a non locking drawbar machine? I took out 42 washers, and the manual has 42 washers pictured. But the drawbar kit has 44 washers.

Edster,
    You got mail I think. Let me know if you got my message.
    Regards Walt.

Does adjusting the air line pressure and noting how much is required to
    release the tool holder give us any meaningful info? We replaced the spring washers in a 40 x 20 locking and had to raise the pressure to just under
    100 psi to get the tools in or out. After some time as they got "broken in",
    I hope not literally, this came down to a more normal pressure at about 85 psi.

Edster,
    We will be in contact when we can have the tech stop by.
    After all it is soooo far out of the way.
    But for real, he aint home right now. Will let you know.
    Regards Walt..
    We were not sure who you were, the town is sooooo big. Walt.

Walt,

Carl was here today. Your gauge measured 910 and my gauge was a hair under 900, I don't have the fancy digital gauge like you Carl blued the spindle and some of my toolholders and all is good.

Thanks for the great customer service,

Ed

Edster,
    Glad we could help. Sometimes it is best for two minds to bump together to look at a problem. When one person can't see the forest because the trees are in the way, it helps just to talk to people with the same interest.
    That is alot like CNC Zone and that other one. Don't know if we are allowed to say anything like Practical Machinest or anything like that.
    Regards Walt...